U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM

107 posts, read 118,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No. Bigger cities in general side with the Democratic party in elections, but that does not mean they are liberal. That is farther to the left. I would wager a lot of it has to do with Unions.

In rural areas, there are not really any/many unions, so they tend to vote republican.

There is a lot of variation within the parties themselves. Some democrats are centered like Bill Clinton, while others are bat-crap crazy commies.
Yes. Unions have been historically very important in lobbying and developing base of the Democratic Party. In the South, where, compared to Midwest major cities or California metros, unions were nearly nonexistend Republicans gathered scores.

Have you any source, any proof, any data to backup this not liberal cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,051,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
sd-bound.

I've never seen a more biased in a negative eay post on this forum.

I give you an advice, my enlightened, only right way, big city friend.

Backward? Better not say this in the presence of some moonshine-enjoyed good ol' dweller of some hilly rural areas of peaceful Upper South.
Well the OP of this thread gets pretty close...

Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Well the OP of this thread gets pretty close...
What do you have in mind? That the opening post was biased in some way?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,051,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
What do you have in mind? That the opening post was biased in some way?
Yes, with all due respect your title, OP, and further comments seem to hint at plenty of bias (along with posters soon after). Your title is: "It is universal that cities are overwhelmingly liberal?" The first line of your OP is: "I want to ask if you know any major city that leans toward Republican Party in federal elections or party enrollment?" Other posters have pointed out problems with this line of thought and you either ignore them or seem to claim a semantics type of argument.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Yes, with all due respect your title, OP, and further comments seem to hint at plenty of bias (along with posters soon after). Your title is: "It is universal that cities are overwhelmingly liberal?" The first line of your OP is: "I want to ask if you know any major city that leans toward Republican Party in federal elections or party enrollment?" Other posters have pointed out problems with this line of thought and you either ignore them or seem to claim a semantics type of argument.
Because to separate liberals and Democrats is unavoidable, and most of the base of Democrats are liberals. You can deny it, if you have data to bakup your deny.

I show you this. Check vote by ideology.

CNN.com - Election 2000 - Results

CNN.com Election 2004

CNN.com - Elections 2006

Overwhelmingly support of liberals goes to Democrats. Simple as it is.

As I stated before, liberal equals not democrat, and on personal level issue is far more complex. But on the level we discuss, national level, who votes for Democrats in most parts? Conservatives?

There is direct link beetwen cities being democrats stronghold and low pary enrollment for Republican in cities.

And why you say it is biased, when I and Hemlock140 provided raw data to prove its fact, not bias and you do not?

You are free to disaree, for this reaso we are here, but you cannot expect me to say that you are right, when you have no arguments and no sources to backup them.

Look also on this:
Liberal Self-Identification Edges Up to New High in 2013

Especially Democrats Increasingly Likely to Identify as Liberal part.

And on this:

Near-Record 49% Say Democratic Party "Too Liberal"

Last edited by Yenisey; 12-19-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM

626 posts, read 576,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bunch of misleading statements in this thread.

I have lived in Pittsburgh, which is arguably the most working-class white large city left in the country. Only Portland Seattle have a higher non-Hispanic White population. Obama still won every single neighborhood in 2012 (note, there are 90 of them). He may have lost one or two in 2008 - McCain ran a bit better than Romney in the working-class white areas in and near the city.

Of course, Pittsburgh is an outlier. If you go somewhere like New York, there are plenty of working-class white neighborhoods which lean Republican. It's even enough to sway elections in some cases. You can find similar Republican enclaves to a limited extent in parts of Philadelphia, but it's not enough to actually elect a Republican mayor of course.

Regardless, I'm scratching my head trying to come up with legit working-class white Republican cities. Lincoln, Nebraska is whiter than Pittsburgh, but I'm pretty sure Obama won it in both 2008 and 2012, albeit by small margins. Could you provide some examples of what you mean?

At the same time (I'm not saying you're saying this) too many people seem to intimate that most nonwhites are not liberal, but when you look at opinion polls, that just isn't true. Blacks are moderately less supportive of same-sex marriage than whites, and Latinos are moderately less pro-choice than whites (although the difference vanishes by the second/third generation). On every other hot-button issue, though, they tend to be social liberals. They oppose the death penalty, think the criminal justice system is too draconian, want more gun control, want affirmative action retained, think addressing global warming is a top priority, etc. And of course on economic issues, they tend to lean far to the left of center in most cases.

Republicans champion conservatism, but with a few exceptions elected Democrats do not champion "liberalism." They tend to tack to the center (both rhetorically and policy wise) in an effort to woo moderates much more than Republicans do.

Some people would argue that these aren't good comparisons to most cities outside the Sun Belt, because they have broad city limits and annexed many right-wing suburbs which in other parts of the country would have become independent towns.

Indeed, the case of Indianapolis is interesting. Traditionally governed by a Republican urban machine (yes, those existed) in the 1960s the Party was concerned with the rising black population within the city, they would lose their political hold. They thus engineered a city-county merger, bringing all of the right-wing suburban voters back into city limits. As a result the Republicans had an unquestioned hold on power in Indianapolis until around 2000.

Of course, suburbs do vote differently in different parts of the country. In New England, even the suburbs tend to be moderately Democratic, whereas in much of the South you would be hard-pressed to find any white Democratic suburban neighborhoods at all. But the suburbs are less Democratic voting virtually everywhere, so the more of them you include in city limits, the more a city will shift to the right.

It should be said that in general, there are vanishingly few Republican structurally urban neighborhoods anywhere in the country. In the modern era, people who self-identify as conservative tend to display very strong preferences towards open space, which may explain some of the disparity. As I said though, there are some old "white ethnic" enclaves in major U.S. cities which tend to lean moderately Republican. Probably the biggest outlier are the ultra-Orthodox Hasidic neighborhoods in NYC, which vote federally 80%-90% Republican. They vote single-issue on Israel however, and on the state level will generally support whoever gives their community the most money without paying much attention to ideology.
Best comment on this thread. I don't have a clue where the idea comes from that non-white Americans are extremely conservative. They are way more liberal than whites.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I don't have a clue where the idea comes from that non-white Americans are extremely conservative. They are way more liberal than whites.
Yes, every poll can prove it. No one in this thread posted such a thing.

Minoriteis also tend to be overwhelmingly (yes, my favorite word, as you can say )Democrat. Links aobve can prove it.

Have you any comment about major cities being liberal though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or