U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM

1,230 posts, read 974,155 times

Advertisements

As a NY native living in Maine I would put Maine well head of NY. I would also put OR, CA, VT and probably WA ahead of NY. Even NYC is not as artsy fartsy as those states especially the major cities in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Source: GrowthFinancial.net
Link: The 10 Most ‘Artsy’ States in America – Growth Financial

10. Connecticut
09. Washington (state)
08. Maine
07. District of Columbia
06. New Mexico
05. Rhode Island
04. Oregon
03. California
02. Vermont
01. New York

Attached is a relatively recent article that has determined the most 'arsty' states in America by determining the percentage of people 25 and over with visual and performing art degrees. Though their method to determine such a method of criteria is indeed questionable, I was wondering how the rest of the City-Data faithful feel about this arbitrary list. Do you agree or disagree? Were their other states that should have been included based on personal opinion and experience? I'm curious to know what you think as to which states qualify as being the most "artsy" in America.
When you think about it, most of these states are not surprising. Artists (painters, poets, writers etc.) are famous for finding coastal locations in states like Oregon, Maine and Washington. Vermont is another state that has long attracted artists.

It is kind of surprising that Massachusetts is not up there.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
As a NY native living in Maine I would put Maine well head of NY. I would also put OR, CA, VT and probably WA ahead of NY. Even NYC is not as artsy fartsy as those states especially the major cities in them.
I don't know, as there are quite a few artsy communities in Upstate NY. With that said, the criteria seemed to be pretty limited.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:22 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,987,077 times
I think Vermont is up there (certainly in the top 15) but I have a difficult time verifying its number 2 spot. Connecticut was the state that surprised me the most. It's interesting to hear several posters defend Maine as being a top 10 "artsy" state as it tends to be a state that often flies under the radar.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm more interested in seeing the top 10 'Fartsy' States list
I'm pretty sure Texas would take the #1 spot.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:57 PM

12,655 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Perhaps NYC/area but the rest of the state? No. This is always the problem when it comes to New York.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Perhaps NYC/area but the rest of the state? No. This is always the problem when it comes to New York.
I think the mid-Hudson Valley is more artsy per capita, in terms of artists and art colony type towns with galleries and such, than either NYC or western NY.

NYC has the high arts, theater, high end galleries, and museums, but in terms of working artists, on a per capita basis, the 'near' upstate area from north of Westchester/Rockland up to the Capitol seems to be pretty artsy.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM

427 posts, read 379,277 times
I'm going to point that none of these states are in the Midwest.

If you are a creative person, or any kind of freethinking individual, than being in such a conservative region is incredibly stifling. Most Midwesterners, agricultural and blue collar workers and yuppie professionals, have an overtly practical, prudish, and modest point of view in which supporting a family takes precedence to ambition. Professional artists are seen as irresponsible weirdos by the majority of salt of the Earth Midwestern folk, and becoming a successful entrepreneur of any kind is seen as a far flung dream.

The Midwest in general might be the worst place to be a career artist.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I'm going to point that none of these states are in the Midwest.

If you are a creative person, or any kind of freethinking individual, than being in such a conservative region is incredibly stifling. Most Midwesterners, agricultural and blue collar workers and yuppie professionals, have an overtly practical, prudish, and modest point of view in which supporting a family takes precedence to ambition. Professional artists are seen as irresponsible weirdos by the majority of salt of the Earth Midwestern folk, and becoming a successful entrepreneur of any kind is seen as a far flung dream.

The Midwest in general might be the worst place to be a career artist.
A lot of what's considered art today in these "creative capitals" is a real perverted form of it. I've had a good laugh every time I've been to an art museum and seen pieces like a two toned sheet of paper framed on the wall and proudly displayed by these clowns as if it's some incredible masterpiece.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM

427 posts, read 379,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
A lot of what's considered art today in these "creative capitals" is a real perverted form of it. I've had a good laugh every time I've been to an art museum and seen pieces like a two toned sheet of paper framed on the wall and proudly displayed by these clowns as if it's some incredible masterpiece.
Yeah, but those artists are actually making money producing that stuff. In Iowa you're probably not going to find an audience for your work unless you paint cabins or motorcycles, and would still have to have a day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or