U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 974,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
Yeah, but those artists are actually making money producing that stuff. In Iowa you're probably not going to find an audience for your work unless you paint cabins or motorcycles, and would still have to have a day job.
Art's lost touch with sane people nowadays. It's become so corrupted.

Here is a pathetic piece of work by Mark Rothko. This pathetic dolt painted absolutely nothing but trash and is considered one of the great artists of the 20th century.

Here's the numbskull
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:41 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Art is about so much more than modern paintings.

I am into modern woodworking design

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 974,605 times
The coffee table is interesting but looks like a science project. Modern art or better termed degenerate art is not difficult. Any high school art class will be full of pieces of modern art and many pieces that are better than half the degenerate trash hanging on the walls of most art museums.

Lol What the hell is this supposed to be?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
Quote:
I'm going to point that none of these states are in the Midwest.

If you are a creative person, or any kind of freethinking individual, than being in such a conservative region is incredibly stifling. Most Midwesterners, agricultural and blue collar workers and yuppie professionals, have an overtly practical, prudish, and modest point of view in which supporting a family takes precedence to ambition. Professional artists are seen as irresponsible weirdos by the majority of salt of the Earth Midwestern folk, and becoming a successful entrepreneur of any kind is seen as a far flung dream.

The Midwest in general might be the worst place to be a career artist.
This is profoundly counter to my experience of living in Minneapolis, which has a huge grass roots creative community that is a large part of the culture of the city. Maybe it is because I am a chef and restaurants tend to draw creative people, but almost everyone I know has something going on. None of them have arts degrees though.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 PM

427 posts, read 379,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
This is profoundly counter to my experience of living in Minneapolis, which has a huge grass roots creative community that is a large part of the culture of the city. Maybe it is because I am a chef and restaurants tend to draw creative people, but almost everyone I know has something going on. None of them have arts degrees though.
How many of those people are full-time working artists? Probably none or not many. The Midwest -- even larger metros like the Twin Cities and Chicago -- simply don't have enough of an art "establishment" for it to be a good place to begin a full-time career in artistic fields. Well, maybe Chicago does, but overall artists and free spirits are marginalized in Midwestern society. It's still a largely close minded region.

I have spent a lot of time in Minneapolis and I know for a fact most of its artists do not make a living from it. Musicians, actors, etc are in the same boat. It is just very isolated from the major art industries and is lacking in creative jobs and ways for those people to get a foot in the door. Many of the most talented and ambitious Minneapolis artists as a launch pad for bigger and better things (a creative career in New York or LA).

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 12-17-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:39 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the mid-Hudson Valley is more artsy per capita, in terms of artists and art colony type towns with galleries and such, than either NYC or western NY.

NYC has the high arts, theater, high end galleries, and museums, but in terms of working artists, on a per capita basis, the 'near' upstate area from north of Westchester/Rockland up to the Capitol seems to be pretty artsy.
^This and many people may not realize that the cities in Upstate NY have galleries and performing arts as well. This is a directory just for Syracuse and it may be incomplete: Syracuse Arts Directory

So, there are plenty of arts based options in NYS outside of NYC.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM

215 posts, read 303,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know, as there are quite a few artsy communities in Upstate NY. With that said, the criteria seemed to be pretty limited.
Yep!! I think the WNY area and lots of areas in this area are very "artsy fartsy". The Allentown area especially. The Allentown Art Festival is HUGE every summer!http://www.allentownartfestival.com/

Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Yep!! I think the WNY area and lots of areas in this area are very "artsy fartsy". The Allentown area especially. The Allentown Art Festival is HUGE every summer!Allentown Art Festival
Westcott/the University area in Syracuse is similar. Elmwood Village in Buffalo also some degree of being artsy. SE Rochester including the Neighborhood of the Arts comes to mind. Ithaca is very artsy. Even Utica has the Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, which is near the Stanley Theater. Binghamton has an Orchestra, Opera and galleries. Corning has an orchestra and an couple of major museums. Many small cities/towns like Homer, Auburn, Rome, Potsdam, Hamilton, Earlville, Oneonta, Glens Falls, etc have live theater and/or other arts based offerings as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
I'm going to point that none of these states are in the Midwest.

If you are a creative person, or any kind of freethinking individual, than being in such a conservative region is incredibly stifling. Most Midwesterners, agricultural and blue collar workers and yuppie professionals, have an overtly practical, prudish, and modest point of view in which supporting a family takes precedence to ambition. Professional artists are seen as irresponsible weirdos by the majority of salt of the Earth Midwestern folk, and becoming a successful entrepreneur of any kind is seen as a far flung dream.

The Midwest in general might be the worst place to be a career artist.
Totally untrue - first of all, most "artists" aren't living off of their artworks. Not sure of the exact % or anything, but it's probably less than 10% country-wide. And even fewer are doing it in rural places (like your "painting barns in Iowa" comment) whether they're in Oregon or Indiana or Mississippi. Every major city in the Midwest has an artist community, and many of these cities have some of the best traditions in the country. You're going to tell me that Sacramento has more opportunities for artists than Chicago? I think you just had bad experiences wherever you grew up (Iowa?) and decided to blanket the whole region with your BS.

And how is the Upper Midwest "more conservative" than the Bible Belt? Outside of New England, counties in IA/MN/WI are some of the least conservative rural areas in the country (especially in the Driftless and Iron Range areas).

Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,258,415 times
Quote:
How many of those people are full-time working artists? Probably none or not many. The Midwest -- even larger metros like the Twin Cities and Chicago -- simply don't have enough of an art "establishment" for it to be a good place to begin a full-time career in artistic fields. Well, maybe Chicago does, but overall artists and free spirits are marginalized in Midwestern society. It's still a largely close minded region.

I have spent a lot of time in Minneapolis and I know for a fact most of its artists do not make a living from it. Musicians, actors, etc are in the same boat. It is just very isolated from the major art industries and is lacking in creative jobs and ways for those people to get a foot in the door. Many of the most talented and ambitious Minneapolis artists as a launch pad for bigger and better things (a creative career in New York or LA).
Straight up ignorance.

At least you chose your username well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or