U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 AM

33 posts, read 25,899 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was really young, one of my dreams has been to start and run a ranch, even though I grew up in small-town NE Ohio with very few horses, cows, or anything like that. And its not just this ignorant fancy sprung up from watching too many glamorous westerns. I have some idea of the life beyond the camera and I know its not all guts and glory. But I still want to do it.

As far as location goes, my wishlist includes:
-mountains
-water (river, creek, pond, small-ish lake or whatever)
-start small (30-60 acres) and expand from there.
-If possible, I'd like a place that's relatively close to civilization (prefferably with a young family/children majority, as I'd likely have a young family of my own by then).
-If the place has a moderate-high demand on construction, that's my current employment so I could turn it into a second income out...there, wherever it happens to be
-While I have yet to earn a hunting license, I prefer places with somewhat more-relaxed gun laws
-and of course, it goes without saying that the location needs to be one that lends itself to the occupation (in other words, lots of snow/rain or not, there needs to be enough warm, dry to raise animals and crops, with enough cold/wet to scare away drought)

Also, if it has any effect on reccommended location, I'm conservative and "religious" (Christian). However, I know that there's nowhere in the world that I can find an area whose residents agree with me 99%, so I imagine it doesn't have an overly large effect.

There may be other factors that I'm not thinking about right now or don't realize that they're important, but for now, these are the key things important to me.

So, even though it'll be a few years before I can pursue my dream (I am only 17), I want to start learning everything I can while I'm still young. I'm aware this is a city-data forum, so all I expect is more location advice than anything else.

(Though if you happen to have experience in this stuff and you WANT to give me a crash-course in buying cows, making money off of them, how to deal with diseases/blizzards/whatnot, or anything else involved with ranching, I'm all ears.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 AM

21,320 posts, read 21,895,576 times
sounds easy enough, could pretty much do this anywhere but the important thing is to get yourself a good dog, and a hat...oh and a pack of Marlboros

Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM

True enough, but I know some places are better than others. Kalispell for instance, I've heard is a better retirement town than a young family one, even though it otherwise fits the bill.

Although from what I've read in the Montana forums, I'm a bit scared off of living anywhere in Montana...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
You're going to need a ton of money to do this anywhere west of the Rockies.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM

...yeah, I figured as much.

That's why I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or