U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:14 PM

108 posts, read 135,315 times

Advertisements

I live In Colorado and am over the cold. I am looking to move somewhere else where I don't have to deal with the cold for so many months. California's weather seems to be ideal in areas, but the cost of living is too much.
Also, since colorado legalized marijuna it's really downgraded the desire to live here because it is bringing in more problems. I believe cali is looking into legalizing it too. Which is another downfall to moving there.
I've been to Florida and in humid areas but only in the spring where it was nice. I read that it is unbearable in the summer......But is there anywhere in the east that you won't die from humidity? I don't mind some humidity. I've also been to Houston in the summer and know that was miserable!
And a good place to raise teens and little kids with stuff to do! It is so boring in Colorado!

Any advice? Experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
The East has way more to do and variety. Yes, there is humidity but that only lasts for a couple months and the harshness depends on location. Sounds like you want the beach...VA is a very family friendly coast.

The main hurdle you face is affordability. East or West there isn't much cheap COL on the coast left. That disappeared after the last housing boom.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:48 PM

596 posts, read 676,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
I live In Colorado and am over the cold. I am looking to move somewhere else where I don't have to deal with the cold for so many months. California's weather seems to be ideal in areas, but the cost of living is too much.
Also, since colorado legalized marijuna it's really downgraded the desire to live here because it is bringing in more problems. I believe cali is looking into legalizing it too. Which is another downfall to moving there.
I've been to Florida and in humid areas but only in the spring where it was nice. I read that it is unbearable in the summer......But is there anywhere in the east that you won't die from humidity? I don't mind some humidity. I've also been to Houston in the summer and know that was miserable!
And a good place to raise teens and little kids with stuff to do! It is so boring in Colorado!

Any advice? Experience?
Whenever I see or hear people complain about being bored, I remember this quote.

“She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring.”
Zelda Fitzgerald, The Collected Writings

Old 12-18-2014, 01:35 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,883,344 times
There's no way I could get bored in Colorado...especially with the rockies as your backyard. Oh! The adventures to be had! Then again I can spend forever in the outdoors.

Parts of inland San Diego are nice, and somewhat affordable IMO. At least compared to LA and SF.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 AM

267 posts, read 239,089 times
Try looking at cities in the Midwest.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:40 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:

Any advice? Experience?
I'd recommend the Charleston SC area. It's a booming area with lots of recreational activities for adults/kids, has good public schools, an equally distributed four season climate and a lower cost of living. Check out the bordering northern suburb of Mt Pleasant.

Mount Pleasant Tourism & Marketing, SC - More on Mount Pleasant

Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,048,618 times
Quote:

Any advice? Experience?
Wrong way, hon.

There are lots and lots of people from FL who have moved to CO or are planning to do so. Among native Floridians in particular, CO is a favorite. I think that might be due to the fact that CO sharply contrasts FL in many ways, up to and including weather, topography, vegetation, culture, lifestyle, and so forth. Additionally, FL would be a huge step down from CO, whose populace is much better educated and more progressive with more refined tastes overall than that of FL, hence the reason why you see more people going the other way (FL --> CO) than vice versa.

FWIW, I've never met someone who lives or has lived in CO and found it boring -- you mustn't be into hiking, skiing/snowboarding, and other outdoor recreational activities, in that case. Different strokes, I suppose.

However, I will have you know that I lived in FL for years, and it's very overrated, mostly by people who don't live there. Because of FL's service-oriented economy with a strong hospitality/tourism focus, it has a very small middle class. Most employers in FL think they're doing you a favor by hiring you, and many will pay you peanuts with limited to no non-wage benefits for work you could command a much higher salary for in many other states. Overall, people in FL don't have very refined tastes, and you'll likely encounter a lot more small-mindedness there than in CO or other Western states. There's a ghetto/redneck element that pervades much of the state, even in the more upscale areas, and you'll be subject to lots of "tough" NY/NJ attitudes -- AKA being rude, pushy, argumentative, combative, shrewd, ghetto, or having some other variant of a "get-outta-my-way" mentality.

But it doesn't snow, and there are beaches and theme parks galore.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:13 AM

734 posts, read 732,340 times
8-32 regurgitates the same anti-FL rhetoric in every thread in which he posts. Don't pay too much attention to it, no matter the subject.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 PM

108 posts, read 135,315 times
Yes aes328, I always love it when people tell me what I should like. I know there are people that don't like Florida. Just like people love colorado and I am looking to move. And why do people have to critique the fact I wanna move and am bored here? Ive found people on this forum to be very critical when I am looking for help. It's a little frustrating.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:06 PM

404 posts, read 738,153 times
Why do you find colorado boring? The only thing I can think of that Colorado doesn't offer is the beach. I am also curious as to what problems you find have been caused by the legalization of marijuana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or