U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just ran a search for a month out-fly Jan. 17 for 1 wk (to avoid the holiday fares)

Denver to Boston-~$313
Denver to NYC ~$211
Denver to DC ~$250

All prices RT
If you're okay with flying to most places, then it can work out.

However, the convenience of going by car, bus or rail over shorter distances to many nearby cities and attractions should not be understated. And I think the OP definitely has a point there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM

6,954 posts, read 9,051,070 times
Then no other place can beat living in Europe because the countries there are so close to each other and you can visit 3 countries in the same day.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
If you live in the western US, pretty much anywhere outside of the West Coast costs at least a thousand dollars to visit per person. Even going to Denver from Portland say, is gonna eat up $250 worth of airfare, plus $100 a day for accomodations, food and transit, so a week there would cost $1000 and up!

Europe and Asia both cost more than $1000 for a round trip plane ticket, and even visiting the eastern US or Mexico will again cost you more than a thousand dollars. If you don't have a car, you're extremely limited in terms of the trips you can take in the West. The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc are off limits unless you take an overpriced coach to those areas. Pretty much the only "affordable" trips worth taking if you live in the western US and don't have a car would be to visit Vancouver, Victoria, Hollywood/Disneyland, Vegas and Tijuana. If you're a city person Vancouver and San Francisco are the only cities vibrant enough to warrant a vacation.

The US in general is isolated and sucks for travelers but living back east is much better since visiting Europe is a bit more affordable, there's a lot more packed into that region, the Carribbean is close, Quebec is close, etc.

I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
This isn't just a western phenomenon. I'm going to Boston this summer for a few weeks. While back there I thought about doing a jaunt across the pond. I checked airfare from Boston to Ireland and it was around $1100. Airfare to other cities across the pond were very steep as well. The airlines collectively have the market cornered under their own terms with higher airfares and fees along with record profits. Hotels are getting more expensive everywhere as well, many of them are nickel and dime'ing with new "resort and amenity fees."
I agree that the cost to cross the pond has always been pretty steep even from Boston. I fly every about 3 months from Boston Logan to Frankfurt and the round trip fare could easily go up to $1000-$2000 for economy, unless you book months in advance or via some ridiculous discount fare.

However, I will say that NE cities like Boston/NYC do have more options in terms of flying to Europe - a lot more European airlines (Air Berlin, Lufthansa, Swiss, Singapore Air, KLM, Air France) operate out of those airports with greater frequency. Of course, you could also find these options in major western air hubs like SF, Houston, and LA.

Another great benefit about traveling from a city like Boston is the relative proximity to Western Europe and Eastern Canada. Direct flight from Boston to Frankfurt is a manageable 7.5 hours gate to gate, just 1.5 hours more than the flight from Boston to SF. I think the relatively manageable travel length creates less of a psychological barrier for people in the NE to travel to Europe. I'd be a lot more hesitant about making quarterly trips to Frankfurt had I lived in SF or LA.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 AM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What world class cities does the West have? Aside from San Francisco? And some people prefer water, or a 4 season climate, over the two options you get in the West - Rainy winter/dry hot summer and desert climate.
Denver! (That is a joke) And we have four seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're okay with flying to most places, then it can work out.

However, the convenience of going by car, bus or rail over shorter distances to many nearby cities and attractions should not be understated. And I think the OP definitely has a point there.
When you live in a place like Denver, you get used to having to fly most places. From here, it's also about a two day drive to the west coast, about a day to Texas or anywhere west of the Mississippi.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I agree that the cost to cross the pond has always been pretty steep even from Boston. I fly every about 3 months from Boston Logan to Frankfurt and the round trip fare could easily go up to $1000-$2000 for economy, unless you book months in advance or via some ridiculous discount fare.
The price shouldn't be nearly that high. Use kayak.com to search for flights about 2 months in advance. Why wouldn't you if you can save hundreds of dollars?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Westerners aren't "screwed" when it comes to traveling. That's just nonsense. One has to spend cash to travel, no? As someone else stated already, that's life and it applies to everyone, not just Westerners?
No one residing on the North American continent is screwed when it comes to travel. There are worthwhile things to see pretty much everywhere. Maybe the problem is that the OP doesn't appreciate the sights that are closer to home?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,124,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No one residing on the North American continent is screwed when it comes to travel. There are worthwhile things to see pretty much everywhere. Maybe the problem is that the OP doesn't appreciate the sights that are closer to home?
Exactly.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just ran a search for a month out-fly Jan. 17 for 1 wk (to avoid the holiday fares)

Denver to Boston-~$313
Denver to NYC ~$211
Denver to DC ~$250

All prices RT
That's Denver though, with its huge airport nearly halfway to the East Coast, not the West Coast.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Man, between this post and Valsteele's original post, I cant figure out which of the two gets the "Dumbest Post of the Year" Award. I cant believe I have to share my oxygen with you guys. Such a waste.
Bit overdramatic? I just said the West Coast sucks for travelers and that national parks are basically the only option. Granted we're not as screwed as people in Fiji or Western Australia, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Trust me, I do, just after 25 years I've got a bit tired of mountains, General American accents, strip malls, conifer forests and vast expanses of artemisia. Plus even a lot of the West (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado in particular) still costs lots of $$$ to visit from my own state. The US in general doesn't have a lot of options for budget travel like many countries, even Greyhound tickets are expensive and not every city has a hostel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or