U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 21,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Is that one way or round trip though? Still, what I meant is that any vacation to anywhere from the West Coast is going to cost at least a grand a person even if it's just a few days long.
Yes, these were all round trip numbers. I have no ideas where how you are getting these huge price differences in airfare. Even if they were 1 way the point is they cost the SAME relative to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,436 posts, read 2,122,343 times
Quote:
Bit overdramatic? I just said the West Coast sucks for travelers and that national parks are basically the only option. Granted we're not as screwed as people in Fiji or Western Australia, but still.
Seriously?

1,376 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
If you live in the western US, pretty much anywhere outside of the West Coast costs at least a thousand dollars to visit per person. Even going to Denver from Portland say, is gonna eat up $250 worth of airfare, plus $100 a day for accomodations, food and transit, so a week there would cost $1000 and up!

Europe and Asia both cost more than $1000 for a round trip plane ticket, and even visiting the eastern US or Mexico will again cost you more than a thousand dollars. If you don't have a car, you're extremely limited in terms of the trips you can take in the West. The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc are off limits unless you take an overpriced coach to those areas. Pretty much the only "affordable" trips worth taking if you live in the western US and don't have a car would be to visit Vancouver, Victoria, Hollywood/Disneyland, Vegas and Tijuana. If you're a city person Vancouver and San Francisco are the only cities vibrant enough to warrant a vacation.

The US in general is isolated and sucks for travelers but living back east is much better since visiting Europe is a bit more affordable, there's a lot more packed into that region, the Carribbean is close, Quebec is close, etc.
So why don't you move to the Eastern US if that's where you'd be happy? What's stopping you?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Seriously?
Aside from sprawling cities, San Francisco, and cold beaches yes pretty much. There aren't any culturally interesting or highly historical places anywhere, aside from a few Spanish missions here and there. And everyone basically has the same accents and the same libertarian reserved mindset anywhere you are in the Western US, you don't get those interesting regional differences you find back east. The only shades of diversity are the more Hispanic areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
So why don't you move to the Eastern US if that's where you'd be happy? What's stopping you?
Money It's not cheap moving, you need hundreds of dollars in the bank even to just pitch a tent while you're looking for work and a place to live and then a grand or so on top of that for the first month of rent and the deposit. On my income finding an apartment wouldn't be easy since most places expect you to already have a job and a pretty decent sized income. If you make less than $20K a year you're very limited on people who will lease out to you even if you stay put in your home town. I thought about going to college somewhere back east but out of state tuition makes it unfeasible. So it looks like I'm stuck in the West whether I like it or not.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM

86,983 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
That's Denver though, with its huge airport nearly halfway to the East Coast, not the West Coast.
Actually, what you said in your OP was:

Quote:
If you live in the western US, pretty much anywhere outside of the West Coast costs at least a thousand dollars to visit per person. Even going to Denver from Portland say, is gonna eat up $250 worth of airfare, plus $100 a day for accomodations, food and transit, so a week there would cost $1000 and up!

Europe and Asia both cost more than $1000 for a round trip plane ticket, and even visiting the eastern US or Mexico will again cost you more than a thousand dollars. If you don't have a car, you're extremely limited in terms of the trips you can take in the West. The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc are off limits unless you take an overpriced coach to those areas. Pretty much the only "affordable" trips worth taking if you live in the western US and don't have a car would be to visit Vancouver, Victoria, Hollywood/Disneyland, Vegas and Tijuana. If you're a city person Vancouver and San Francisco are the only cities vibrant enough to warrant a vacation.

The US in general is isolated and sucks for travelers but living back east is much better since visiting Europe is a bit more affordable, there's a lot more packed into that region, the Carribbean is close, Quebec is close, etc.
You even gave Denver to Portland as an example!

Busted!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:53 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, what you said in your OP was
You even gave Denver to Portland as an example!
Busted!
My bad, I guess I was mostly talking about the West Coast though and Denver as a destination. Still Denver is pretty isolated but due to their airport and being pretty close to the middle of the US in a way it's less so than the West Coast.

Still my point is unless you're content with just visiting pine forests and Spanish missions you need to spend lots of money to travel if you live out here.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Bit overdramatic? I just said the West Coast sucks for travelers and that national parks are basically the only option.
That was only one of the absurd things you said.

Let me ask you this. Say you live in NY and want to visit the TN Smokies. How does that vary from our situation in the West? Id say we have it easier. Why? The airports are less crowded, and the weather is better so we dont have to deal with the delays that East Coast airports routinely have. And your hotel and air fares will be no different than they are out here, so whats your point?

You also stated that youre closer to the Carribbean? In Florida, maybe, surely not in Maine. Im much closer to the Carribbean here in AZ than most states out East.

And you also state the only two cities worth visiting out here are Vancouver and San Fran. I mean, I just dont know what to say to that.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,343 times
Quote:
Aside from sprawling cities, San Francisco, and cold beaches yes pretty much. There aren't any culturally interesting or highly historical places anywhere, aside from a few Spanish missions here and there. And everyone basically has the same accents and the same libertarian reserved mindset anywhere you are in the Western US, you don't get those interesting regional differences you find back east. The only shades of diversity are the more Hispanic areas.
I literally don't have the time to respond to this insanely ignorant post. Would anyone else be up for it?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
I could just as easily say living in the eastern US sucks for travelers — if your biggest travel interest is mountainous / dramatic outdoor scenery.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Quote:
Money It's not cheap moving, you need hundreds of dollars in the bank even to just pitch a tent while you're looking for work and a place to live and then a grand or so on top of that for the first month of rent and the deposit.
What we generally find in the various moving threads is that posters are POSITIVE that their problems/issues are related to where they live and when they move, they find that they just dragged it all with them. The first thing I'd suggest is stop complaining and making excuses - you could go to a community college anywhere on the east coast for a couple of years and transfer to a 4 year college as a resident. Are big east coast cities expensive? Sure, but with the exception of NYC or DC, they aren't THAT much more expensive than Portland. Cull your belongings to what will fit in your car and GO instead of just complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or