U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,884 posts, read 10,389,677 times
Reputation: 8050

Advertisements

There are pros and cons to both. I've taken some great roadtrips on the East Coast but I'm often jealous of the kind of roadtrips West Coasters can take-New Mexico, Arizona, California and more. There are more open roads too.

East Coast is definitely better for Europe, South America and the Carribean, but West Coast is closer to Asia, Australia, Alaska and Hawaii. Honestly, beside the interconnectedness of the Bos-Wash cities I'd say it's a wash.

For the person that mentioned Denver, I have heard that it is actually one of the best cities to live in if you like to travel by plane due to it being so centrally located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What we generally find in the various moving threads is that posters are POSITIVE that their problems/issues are related to where they live and when they move, they find that they just dragged it all with them. The first thing I'd suggest is stop complaining and making excuses - you could go to a community college anywhere on the east coast for a couple of years and transfer to a 4 year college as a resident. Are big east coast cities expensive? Sure, but with the exception of NYC or DC, they aren't THAT much more expensive than Portland. Cull your belongings to what will fit in your car and GO instead of just complaining.
This also really needs to be taken into consideration. "Wherever you go, there you are".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
That's Denver though, with its huge airport nearly halfway to the East Coast, not the West Coast.
Right, to be fair, Denver is actually in the Plains and is a 7 hour drive from the geographical center of the country. It's 2 hours from Nebraska!

Otherwise, I find your assertions here pretty silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
My bad, I guess I was mostly talking about the West Coast though and Denver as a destination. Still Denver is pretty isolated but due to their airport and being pretty close to the middle of the US in a way it's less so than the West Coast.
Perhaps if you want to go to the Midwest, but from the east coast the flight time and cost is still high enough it's not a huge improvement.

For example, NYC to SFO ($296 round trip, 5hr5min one direction, 6hr40min the other)
NYC to DEN ($196 round trip, 3hr36min one direction, 4hr32min the other)

Both in late January. Hmm. So 1.5-2 hours savings and $100. I guess it's significant but both seem like a trek. I have a friend who went to Denver for a long weekend for skiing, so definitely doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What we generally find in the various moving threads is that posters are POSITIVE that their problems/issues are related to where they live and when they move, they find that they just dragged it all with them. The first thing I'd suggest is stop complaining and making excuses - you could go to a community college anywhere on the east coast for a couple of years and transfer to a 4 year college as a resident. Are big east coast cities expensive? Sure, but with the exception of NYC or DC, they aren't THAT much more expensive than Portland. Cull your belongings to what will fit in your car and GO instead of just complaining.
I don't have issues (aside from being broke like everyone else lol), I just think the West isn't a good place to live if you're a traveler, unless you have a lot of money and location is irrelevant to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I could just as easily say living in the eastern US sucks for travelers — if your biggest travel interest is mountainous / dramatic outdoor scenery.
Not really, you have the Smokies which are just as impressive as most western mountains, and New England and upstate New York have decent sized mountains too. Plus the West doesn't have anything on the scale of the Great Lakes unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And you also state the only two cities worth visiting out here are Vancouver and San Fran. I mean, I just dont know what to say to that.
Well let's see.

Seattle - basically a city for business people, nothing particularly special. The Space Needle is kinda cool I guess, and I went to a pretty interesting gay bar.

Portland - The Japanese tea garden is pretty cool, and Hawthorne has some nice vintage shops. Still I don't think it's really a special place to visit. Maybe worth one and a half days at best.

Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto, Bakersfield, Phoenix etc it's obvious why these places are missable.

Los Angeles is interesting for Hollywood and Disneyland and seeing movie sites but other than that it's mostly suburban sprawl, and much of it is run down ghetto. The beaches are too cold to enjoy swimming in, might as well go to the Oregon Coast or northern California coast where it's more scenic and not much colder.

Vegas is pretty damn cool I have to admit but if you're not into gambling, or don't have a lot of money to blow it gets old really fast. I'd love it if I were rich but only during the winter!

SLC and Denver are more places to live than interesting cities to visit and spend time in. They're extremely suburban in character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,251 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I could just as easily say living in the eastern US sucks for travelers if your biggest travel interest is mountainous / dramatic outdoor scenery.
OP wants to be closer the center of the universe though. It's pretty obvious from the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
OP wants to be closer the center of the universe though. It's pretty obvious from the posts.
Pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Not really, you have the Smokies which are just as impressive as most western mountains, and New England and upstate New York have decent sized mountains too.
Nowhere near as impressive. Sure, some of the smaller less impressive western mountains are as impressive as the best eastern mountains. I live here, sure there's some scenic spots but it's not the same.

Quote:
Plus the West doesn't have anything on the scale of the Great Lakes unfortunately.
Well there's the Pacific Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
OP wants to be closer the center of the universe though. It's pretty obvious from the posts.
True, but not all traveler do. Or care. The OP's title says travelers in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 AM
 
Location: MD's Eastern Shore
2,321 posts, read 3,005,903 times
Reputation: 4110
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
If you live in the western US, pretty much anywhere outside of the West Coast costs at least a thousand dollars to visit per person. Even going to Denver from Portland say, is gonna eat up $250 worth of airfare, plus $100 a day for accomodations, food and transit, so a week there would cost $1000 and up!

The US in general is isolated and sucks for travelers but living back east is much better since visiting Europe is a bit more affordable, there's a lot more packed into that region, the Carribbean is close, Quebec is close, etc.
I got a bit of news for you. even here in the east it is still going to cost 1000 or more to take a vacation. Plane ticket or gas if in the US. It's still going to cost you. 100/night for hotel! Your still going to pay at least that, unless you pull off the interstate at some random stop to get some sleep for the night, but you'll still need to eat! Cheap to visit the Caribbean from here? Have you ever been? It is an expensive place to visit. Hotels are going to cost you considerably more the 100/night. Cheap airfare to Europe? Good luck! And even if you can find a cheap ticket some place your still going to have to get a hotel and eat. Latin America has a reputation for being cheap but I am still paying almost 900 for a ticket to Colombia and I'm still going to spend another grand or so while there and my wife owns a house there.

If you want to travel, your going to have to pay. I live about 4 hours from the Blue Ridge mountains and I have a car that gets 40MPG but I still pay several hundred bucks for a short 1 night trip to go see the colors in the fall. And that is getting a hotel off the highway in some random stop when looking for something to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I got a bit of news for you. even here in the east it is still going to cost 1000 or more to take a vacation. Plane ticket or gas if in the US. It's still going to cost you. 100/night for hotel! Your still going to pay at least that, unless you pull off the interstate at some random stop to get some sleep for the night, but you'll still need to eat! Cheap to visit the Caribbean from here? Have you ever been? It is an expensive place to visit. Hotels are going to cost you considerably more the 100/night. Cheap airfare to Europe? Good luck! And even if you can find a cheap ticket some place your still going to have to get a hotel and eat. Latin America has a reputation for being cheap but I am still paying almost 900 for a ticket to Colombia and I'm still going to spend another grand or so while there and my wife owns a house there.

If you want to travel, your going to have to pay. I live about 4 hours from the Blue Ridge mountains and I have a car that gets 40MPG but I still pay several hundred bucks for a short 1 night trip to go see the colors in the fall. And that is getting a hotel off the highway in some random stop when looking for something to eat.
True, I guess I just envy the fact you have New York City, Toronto, Montreal, the Appalachians etc at your doorstep basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top