U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,451,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
True, I guess I just envy the fact you have New York City, Toronto, Montreal, the Appalachians etc at your doorstep basically.
Have you actually been to any of these places you whine about? I truly doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,730,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Have you actually been to any of these places you whine about? I truly doubt it.
Toronto yes. Loved it.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,451,022 times
Quote:
Toronto yes. Loved it.
Wow. One city.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:27 PM

17,347 posts, read 19,615,226 times
If someone loves Toronto, then they are probably also going to like Chicago, New York City, Boston and Philadelphia as these cities have a similar kind of compact, urban feel to them.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,730,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If someone loves Toronto, then they are probably also going to like Chicago, New York City, Boston and Philadelphia as these cities have a similar kind of compact, urban feel to them.
Yup and you just can't get this in the West, except for San Francisco and Vancouver.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In my opinion Chicago is most similar to Toronto

Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM

7,337 posts, read 4,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What we generally find in the various moving threads is that posters are POSITIVE that their problems/issues are related to where they live and when they move, they find that they just dragged it all with them.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote:
Are big east coast cities expensive? Sure, but with the exception of NYC or DC, they aren't THAT much more expensive than Portland.
True. Big cities anywhere are expensive places to live. Podunkville anywhere will be cheaper.

And most of the OP's complaint about travel costs seem to me to be more related to the DISTANCES he wishes to travel than anything - and it's another universal that the longer the distance you wish to go, the more it's going to cost you. Someone living on the East Coast who wishes to visit the western US or Asian countries is facing the exact same issues the OP is. It's not a western thing, it's a distance thing. And the solution is either to cough up the cash, or to be content seeing the things you can easily reach on your more modest budget. No matter where you live in the US, there's SOMETHING interesting to see within a day's drive.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 PM

7,337 posts, read 4,188,364 times
Quote:
I don't have issues (aside from being broke like everyone else lol), I just think the West isn't a good place to live if you're a traveler, unless you have a lot of money and location is irrelevant to you.
I think the big problem is that you seem to define travel solely as "visiting exotic cities in far-away lands." The western US is one of the best places on the planet, bar none, to go to see wild, unspoiled nature. As for cost, tent camping and backpacking are both pretty darned cheap.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 18,381,877 times
I think the OP just needs to let go of his inhibitions. Let go of the excuses, earn and save some money, put your mind to it, ignore the naysayers, make an affirmation, and just move back east.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
If we're talking travel across the Atlantic (namely Europe) then yes it does. When I went on a trip to Italy, one couple in our tour group was from Los Angeles. The plane ride from Newark to Rome was 8 hours, back it was 9. Imagine having to go 6 more hours? 9 was enough for me. I remember pitying them for having to be stuck on a plane for so long.

But to some this may not be a big deal. Asia and Australia are even longer plane rides than that, they're even pretty long from the West Coast. To me, though, an additional 5/6 hours cross country would have sucked. And my jet lag was bad enough living on the East Coast, forget the additional 3 hour time change of the West!

At the same time, the West IS closer to Asia, Australia/NZ/Pacific Islands, Alaska, and Hawaii than we are. It depends on where you're trying to go; someone will always have an upper hand travel-wise. But me? I'm happy to live on the side of the country closer to Europe because that's where I would like to travel most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or