U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "on"?
Ahn 41 55.41%
Awn 31 41.89%
Ah-oon 1 1.35%
Some other way (explain) 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:25 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times

Advertisements

Awn..Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Awn..Midwest.
Lower Midwest? Also, are you White?

I feel like here in Chicago, White people (locals) say "ahn" and Blacks say "awn".

Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So, "aw-un". It's not only a coastal NE thing, I've met Southerners who say the "aw" the same way they say it in Philly. It's a fronted sound, I believe with mouth rounding. However, I think "kawfee" is strictly NYC/Jersey/Philly, I've never heard anyone else say "kawfee".

Here in Chicago we say talk like "tawk" but without heavy fronting or rounding. But it's not "tahk". Coffee here is neither kah-fee or kaw-uh-fee (Northeast). More so just Kaw-fee. On, however, is "ahn" (like NYC).
I'd also like to add that the "aw" pronunciation heard in Philly and other parts of the South is very likely a leftover from their English roots. Certain English accents also utilize that sound, and I am sure those influenced the East Coast. By East Coast, I mean the whole East Coast, not the term many erroneously substitute (to my annoyance) when they really mean "Northeast".

Here in Chicago, our English is East Anglian influenced and also Germanic. I don't know if East Anglians say "ahn", but I have heard many English people also have a disagreement on pronouncing this word. Some say "ahn", others say "awn". However, the aspects of East Anglia left in Chicago's accent are heard to this day, such as how in Chicago we say "pitcher" for the word "picture" just like they do in English region of Suffolk (or at least that's how it sounds to me). I feel like a lot of our vowels are also taken from that region. I think the difference in language origin between Chicago and Philly as probably due to different regions of England affecting us. I know our origins are East Anglia, and I wonder if Philly's origins (and Baltimore as well) are West England, because to me people from West England and Philly/Baltimore sound VERY similar. In my opinion, Philly and Baltimore are probably some of the most "English" sounding American dialects, which is curious because they fall into the "Midland" categorization, which can be considered a subset of what is known as General American, the accent most associated with the whole USA.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM

White..By way of Iowa.

When I say it in a sentence I can kind of hear a mix of the two..But "Turn it on." sounds more like "Turn it awn".

Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
White..By way of Iowa.

When I say it in a sentence I can kind of hear a mix of the two..But "Turn it on." sounds more like "Turn it awn".
Ah, I see. You guys have the PURE American English.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 PM

I have to be clear that when I talk about 'awn' it's not in an east coast way, with the long, split in the vowel sound..My gf's mom from Jersey throws that 'w' sound in words like dog..Du-awg.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I have to be clear that when I talk about 'awn' it's not in an east coast way, with the long, split in the vowel sound..My gf's mom from Jersey throws that 'w' sound in words like dog..Du-awg.
No, diphthongs aren't common for that around the Midwest. In Chicago, though, we do use them but for words like "cat" or "pants" (kee-uht and pee-ants respectively).

But in the New York/North Jersey area, on is pronounced "ahn". Those diphthongs make their way to words like "thought", sounding "thaw-uht". In Chicago, that would just be said "thawt" or "dawt". Dog here isn't "daw-uhg" but "dawg".

Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
I pronounce it like "ahn", like the vast majority of Americans.

I think some people are voting "awn" because this spelling could also be interpreted as having the same pronunciation as "ahn", depending on how it's read.

For instance, the word "awning" is pronounced the same way as "ahn".

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I pronounce it like "ahn", like the vast majority of Americans.

I think some people are voting "awn" because this spelling could also be interpreted as having the same pronunciation as "ahn", depending on how it's read.

For instance, the word "awning" is pronounced the same way as "ahn".
While I do agree, generally many Southerners and people in the Mid-Atlantic (exluding NYC and North Jersey) still say it "awn" in a more fronted fashion.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM

'Ahn' looks like it would rhyme with con.

The way I say it (the word on) sounds more like (the way I say ) lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or