U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 PM
chh

418 posts, read 496,322 times

Advertisements

I think of it like I think of all the other plains states. Flat, boring, and with a few fast-growing cities. I do think of Iowa as more friendly and progressive-thinking, though, IMO the best plains state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,853,522 times
Here's my opinion from Ohio. I wouldn't have known anything about Iowa unless I'd been there, but since going there, I found it to be one the most genuinely nice, honest, peaceful places I've ever known. I was there on a bike trip from Cleveland to Minnesota in 2007. Everyone I encountered there was nice, but what stands out is the people I met at this one campground I was staying at in Muscatine. The people invited me to have dinner with them, and the next day took me fishing on the Mississippi. They treated me like family, even though they were complete strangers. They took my phone number, and when I was expected to get to my destination, they actually called me to make sure I got there alright! People there are just genuinely friendly. It's not the fake, passive-aggressive Minnesota Nice, it's an honest concern, openness, and kindness towards fellow human beings. It's also a lot more liberal than people give it credit for (one of the first to legalize gay marriage, the first to allow women's suffrage). Iowa is one of the few rural places I would like to live in.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,766,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
I think of it like I think of all the other plains states. Flat, boring, and with a few fast-growing cities. I do think of Iowa as more friendly and progressive-thinking, though, IMO the best plains state.
Iowa is not a plains state. It's also not flat...

People in Minnesota (at least in the Twin Cities) know next to nothing about Iowa. Whenever I tell people I'm driving to my parents' house in Des Moines, they get this shocked look on their face like "surely not!" and they say something like "Isn't that like a six or seven hour drive?!" No... it's 3.5 hours... it's closer than Madison... We live on the same interstate...

I went to college in northeast Iowa. I remember having a conversation with a classmate from Illinois who was amazed one day to realize that she was in a state that borders Nebraska, like she thought that was so so far west.

Basically no one in this damn country ever seems to remember that Iowa even exists, including people in the states that border Iowa.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,145 times
^^I agree; Iowa doesn't really have a reputation in Minnesota, and people here just don't really have a consciousness or awareness of it at all which really is remarkable considering it's just a few hours down the road.

I'm not sure where people like cheese plate are coming from, saying that "Minnesotans rag on Iowa". That's just not even remotely true. We'd have to have an opinion regarding Iowa to think negatively of it.

Personally, I think Iowa is a perfectly lovely state. Lots of great towns, the people are friendly, there's some pleasant scenery along the Mississippi, and it seems like a progressive place. That being said, as a whole, it's a fairly sleepy state. It doesn't have any major metros, nor are there are any huge draws. It's one of those pleasant places you drive through to get somewhere else.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,853,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
^^I agree; Iowa doesn't really have a reputation in Minnesota, and people here just don't really have a consciousness or awareness of it at all which really is remarkable considering it's just a few hours down the road.

I'm not sure where people like cheese plate are coming from, saying that "Minnesotans rag on Iowa". That's just not even remotely true. We'd have to have an opinion regarding Iowa to think negatively of it.

Personally, I think Iowa is a perfectly lovely state. Lots of great towns, the people are friendly, there's some pleasant scenery along the Mississippi, and it seems like a progressive place. That being said, as a whole, it's a fairly sleepy state. It doesn't have any major metros, nor are there are any huge draws. It's one of those pleasant places you drive through to get somewhere else.
I've heard a number of Minnesotans rag on Iowa, as well as Wisconsin, Michigan, and just about everywhere else.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM

71 posts, read 105,244 times
Iowa.. Boring comes to mind

Went to thrashers.. It was exactly what I expected lol.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Iowa is Missouri's Canada.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,402,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I've heard a number of Minnesotans rag on Iowa, as well as Wisconsin, Michigan, and just about everywhere else.
Yup! It's pretty easy to Google "Iowa Minnesota jokes" and find dozens of them listed. It's been a "thing" for decades, at least.

Most people in Wisconsin don't even think of Minnesota unless the Packers are playing the Vikings, but I definitely have heard a lot of "Wisconsin jokes" from that side of the border. There's more than a little insecurity in MN, at least relative to other states in the region, but that has never dampened my enjoyment of the Twin Cities, bluff country, or the northwoods/South Shore.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There's more than a little insecurity in MN
Insecure about what, exactly? Minnesota is consistently at the top of the rankings nationally (let alone in the Midwest) for a plethora of things...there's not really anything to be insecure about.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:37 PM

892 posts, read 1,096,511 times
I just don't really understand why so many of the highways are on embankments, and why when they pave to the edge of said embankment, they have no guardrail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or