U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,423,145 times

Advertisements

IDK if Michigan qualifies as a Midwestern state for the sake of this thread since a lot of the people responding live in more centrally Midwestern states such as Illinois and Minnesota, but when I think of Iowa I think of cornfields, wide open spaces, livestock farms, and hardworking people. Those may all be stereotypes, but I picture it as a pleasant place, very similar to central Illinois, where I have actually been.

We once drove from Chicago to St. Louis across Illinois in the summertime and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Sure, it was flat, but it was also lush and green, and you could see for miles and miles. The farms in that part of the Midwest seem to be larger in scope than the farms here in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
Is Iowa similar to Wisconsin? Or is it more similar to Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,847,632 times
I was only in the Eastern part, but there I'd say it's like a cross between Minnesota and Illinois.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Is Iowa similar to Wisconsin? Or is it more similar to Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM

112 posts, read 101,869 times
It's similar to Wisconsin... but not really... as Wisconsin has Milwaukee and Madison, which are much larger cities. So maybe Wisconsin on a micro scale.

Iowa:

Moderate sized cities (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport).
College towns (U Iowa, Iowa State).
Live and let live attitude.
More Progressive for a relatively rural state (first judiciary to pass same sex marriage, Iowa Standards for education)
Mostly agricultural besides a few moderate sized cities.
Similar to other plains areas... Minnesota & Western Wisconsin.
Political... Iowa straw poll, Iowa caucuses... 1st to vote in primaries.
Moderate.... Liberal on some issues, but conservative on others... No death penalty? But few restrictions on guns? I would say Iowa is unique. Going east to west = liberal to conservative.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:56 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Be honest with this one! How do people in the Midwest view Iowa? For example, neighboring states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, etc. Just out of curiosity, because I have some roots in Iowa on my Mothers side. Is it kind of like Alabama in the South? The butt of jokes? Not trying to sound like I'm picking on Iowa because like I said, I have roots in that state.
I'm from Michigan originally.

I view IOWA as VERY POSITIVE. It is really well-known for creative writing and literature. The people also get a ton of attention every 4 years for the Presidential Party nominations. So, I also think of it as very politically aware as well.

The only thing I dislike about it, is that it is very landlocked, and far from the Great Lakes. But, I'd rank it way higher than most Midwestern states, by a landslide.

Of course I like Michigan where I'm from. I can easily say that I'd consider Minnesota and Iowa as two of the best Midwestern states that I think most highly of in the region.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Iowa is generally considered pretty progressive....Kansas not so much.
Anytime I see progressive, I instantly think high taxes. It is my only fear about Iowa. The state is too liberal.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The only thing I dislike about it, is that it is very landlocked, and far from the Great Lakes. But, I'd rank it way higher than most Midwestern states, by a landslide.
Davenport is closer to Lake Michigan than Cincinnati is to Lake Erie, and Mason City is as close to Lake Superior as St. Louis is to Lake Michigan.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:34 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Insecure about what, exactly? Minnesota is consistently at the top of the rankings nationally (let alone in the Midwest) for a plethora of things...there's not really anything to be insecure about.
Because we are honestly a pretty insignificant state that doesn't get much national attention so certain people feel the need to go out of their way to prove to the world how much better we are than other states (by constantly talking crap).

I honestly admire the low profile image we have.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
It's similar to Wisconsin... but not really... as Wisconsin has Milwaukee and Madison, which are much larger cities. So maybe Wisconsin on a micro scale.

Iowa:

Moderate sized cities (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport).
College towns (U Iowa, Iowa State).
Live and let live attitude.
More Progressive for a relatively rural state (first judiciary to pass same sex marriage, Iowa Standards for education)
Mostly agricultural besides a few moderate sized cities.
Similar to other plains areas... Minnesota & Western Wisconsin.
Political... Iowa straw poll, Iowa caucuses... 1st to vote in primaries.
Moderate.... Liberal on some issues, but conservative on others... No death penalty? But few restrictions on guns? I would say Iowa is unique. Going east to west = liberal to conservative.
So pretty much just like the majority of states in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or