U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 PM

7,314 posts, read 4,154,596 times

Advertisements

Iowa is way too progressive to be the Alabama of the Midwest. Frankly I think of it as the sanest state in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:29 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroooo View Post
I don't have a lot of positive impulses about Iowa.

Most of it stems from the conservative disposition that, as a conservative myself, I view as the embodiment of phoniness that plagues the GOP today.

Iowa farmers received $23.6 billion in farm subsidies between 1995 and 2011.

Iowans vote pro big government when it comes to social issues.

Yet were still suppose to respect this fantasy of hard-working, up at 4:00am to milk the cows, "Country folks can survive!," mantra?

Not a fan.
Seriously? If you don't think farmers are up at 4am and extremely hard working why don't you go spend a few days on a family farm in Iowa. I was friends with multiple people who had grown up on farms and their parents were farmers. They were all extremely down to earth and hardworking people.

The subsidies to farmers intend for keeping food prices low for everyone by allowing prices for corn, wheat and other crops at below the cost to harvest them and still allow for the farmers to stay in business. Otherwise many would go out of business which would reduce the food supply and then drive the prices up to a level that would allow the other farms to stay in business. That's not a very safe policy to make sure the food supply is safe. Much of the subsidies go into crop insurance, since being a farmer is a very up and down business. Some years you get a huge harvest, other years it can be all but destroyed. Some farmers get off with too many subsidies, many of the politicians, but for the most part the money is a government program to keep food prices low for all Americans and to ensure there are enough farmers growing enough crops so the food supply is safe during the low years of harvests.

Go talk to Texas, the GOP darling, as they've gotten more farm subsidies than any other state in the union.

All that aside though - agriculture/livestock and crops are only 3.5% of the state's overall GDP - farm subsidies are just a fraction of 1% of the state's economy. People who live on farms are only around 4% of the state's population. For every person living on a farm, there are 7 people living in the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids/Iowa City metro areas alone.

Certainly not trying to discredit farmers - Iowa farmers are responsible for a great deal of our nations food supply. Just pointing out for a large majority of the state's population, farming has no personal impact on their lives any more than it would for most other people around the country.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
The hard-working farmer up before the sun is one of the only old-timey cliches that's still valid. Only an urban fool with zero experience around farmers would say any different. Farmers out-work everybody, subsidies or not.

If you want to believe that farming should be a shark tank like any other industry, that's fine and dandy, but pretending that farmers are living the life o' Riley sittin' back on their porches sipping expensive wines while watching the corn from 5 years prior rot in the silo is straight-up lying or comes from a person who has no clue about how life in the country is in reality.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
once, some farmer (probably from Iowa) bumped into me at the Minnesota State Fair as we were jockeying for position underneath the Michele Bachmann booth and I nearly spilled some beer

Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Iowa is way too progressive to be the Alabama of the Midwest. Frankly I think of it as the sanest state in the region.
Good example of some snobby liberal elitist attitude right here

Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,832,254 times
Iowa city is a nice place. Other then that, it's just corn. A slightly better version of NE.

On a side note, no matter where I travel in the continental US, I always see Iowa plated cars. People must REALLY want to get out.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,059 times
Iowans love to travel through out the U.S. including cross country trips to the West coast, East coast, SE, and the nation's Capitol. Hawaii and the Caribbean are popular winter destinations.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,510,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Iowans love to travel through out the U.S. including cross country trips to the West coast, East coast, SE, and the nation's Capitol. Hawaii and the Caribbean are popular winter destinations.
Yes, I just got back from a trip through Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee. This place is too boring and too cold to stay put in the winter. It was nice to experience 50 degree temperatures in Tennessee while the current temperature here today is 1 degree

Old 12-30-2014, 08:25 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,246,820 times
It was 50 in Des Moines on Thursday while today the high is to be 37 in Louisville with 36 in Nashville on New Years Eve Day.
The thing about Iowa weather, if it gets cold there, the cold usually heads south &/or southeast from there so it's sort of a preview, albeit sharper) of what's to eventually head south. I know this as I've lived in the southeast for over 35 years & have learned how & where to watch for hints at our upcoming weather.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Iowa city is a nice place. Other then that, it's just corn. A slightly better version of NE.

On a side note, no matter where I travel in the continental US, I always see Iowa plated cars. People must REALLY want to get out.
Yes, they love to travel and have the opportunity to do so - and then willingly return home at the end of the trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or