U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,766,635 times

Advertisements

*Canadians seen all over the world with Canada flag patches on their backpacks*

"Wow, Canadians are so worldly, how great that they value travel and new experiences so deeply!"

*Iowans seen all over North America with Iowa plates on their cars*

"Wow, Iowa must be terrible since all these people have chosen to not be in it right at this second."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,724,485 times
Iowa's a surprisingly verdant and beautiful state. More liberal than a lot of people think too. I wouldn't mind living there.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,281,938 times
I like Iowa.. Friendly people who are quite happy and content with life just the way it is. They aren't trying to be something they're not.

Iowa has an identity and embraces it.

Iowa is deceiving in size... Much bigger than you would expect.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,766,635 times
Here's the thing though. "Happy" and "content" and "hardworking" and "friendly" and all the other positive stereotypes are just as false as the negative stereotypes. It's no different from any other state in the vicinity. Iowans are no more or less hardworking than anyone else. They are normal people who mostly live in normal cities. 1/3 of Iowans live in Des Moines and the Corridor, where the primary industries are insurance, finance, health care, manufacturing, and education. There are extremely poor urban neighborhoods in Iowa, and there are old money mansions in Iowa, and there are skyscrapers and French bakeries and dense walkable shopping districts in Iowa, and there are BBQ joints and strip malls in Iowa, and there are sprawly suburbs and high-end shopping centers in Iowa, and there are cities and college towns and dying farm towns and thriving hippie towns in Iowa.

This "simple but hardworking Midwesterner" mythology is outdated rubbish. It's 2015 in two days; Iowa did not stop developing in 1965.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,205,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
... 1/3 of Iowans live in Des Moines and the Corridor, where the primary industries are insurance, finance, health care, manufacturing, and education.
In addition to these industries, the Iowa City-Cedar Rapids Technology Corridor is one of the country's leading centers in the country for the defense electronics industry. Cedar Rapids has more engineers per capita than any other city in the U.S., primarily due to the presence of Rockwell Collins, the largest employer in Cedar Rapids with 8,700 employees. Many of their engineers come from other parts of the country and world.

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...s-Economy.html

http://www.cedar-rapids.com/about/history/

Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,515,300 times
Iowa is for the most part a very clean state with some very little "bad areas". Des Moines is a very safe city and there are very few bad neighborhoods.

Small town Iowa in the middle of nowhere is a totally different ball game though, they range from very nice to depressing, semi ghost towns.

I have been to small towns here in Iowa where literally half of the town is rundown abandoned homes and rusty trailers.

My least favorite places in Iowa are Sioux City and Davenport, both feel like Rust Belt cities you usually see in Ohio, Michigan or Illinois.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 709,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have lived here for almost 5 years. Nice place for people who want to settle, the people are incredibly nice but I would not want to settle here. It is just too bland, I don't really find a lot of excitement here but the quality of life is pretty good.

My attitude towards Iowa is indifferent, I have no complaints about this state and its people but I can't say it is a very exciting place.
My wife is from Iowa, and her entire family still lives there. As such, I spend a good amount of time in the state. Your post pretty much sums up how I feel about Iowa. It's fine, and there's nothing really wrong with it, but meh....

Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 PM

7,608 posts, read 9,463,659 times
Iowa, in general has a pretty progressive reputation. Very high literacy rates, low crime, affordable cost of living. I do get the impression that eastern Iowa ( including Des Moines), and especially Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, is the more prosperous side of the state..

Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,515,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Iowa, in general has a pretty progressive reputation. Very high literacy rates, low crime, affordable cost of living. I do get the impression that eastern Iowa ( including Des Moines), and especially Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, is the more prosperous side of the state..
Correct, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City would be the best cities in my opinion in terms of jobs and opportunities.

Then, you have some industrial, Rust Belt like cities which I find very depressing: Waterloo, Davenport and Sioux City.

The "interior" of Iowa though is what I call the "real Iowa"- mostly small farming communities, these can range from quaint small towns to some very economically depressed, dying semi-ghost towns.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:18 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,854,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Here's the thing though. "Happy" and "content" and "hardworking" and "friendly" and all the other positive stereotypes are just as false as the negative stereotypes. It's no different from any other state in the vicinity. Iowans are no more or less hardworking than anyone else. They are normal people who mostly live in normal cities. 1/3 of Iowans live in Des Moines and the Corridor, where the primary industries are insurance, finance, health care, manufacturing, and education. There are extremely poor urban neighborhoods in Iowa, and there are old money mansions in Iowa, and there are skyscrapers and French bakeries and dense walkable shopping districts in Iowa, and there are BBQ joints and strip malls in Iowa, and there are sprawly suburbs and high-end shopping centers in Iowa, and there are cities and college towns and dying farm towns and thriving hippie towns in Iowa.

This "simple but hardworking Midwesterner" mythology is outdated rubbish. It's 2015 in two days; Iowa did not stop developing in 1965.
Iowa is what Minnesota would be if it was honest with itself. They are very similar, but Minnesotans are much more self aggrandizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or