Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,231,876 times

Advertisements

From a perspective of someone from far southern Missouri(not really culturally midwestern) I always thought of Iowa as flat and full of corn. Pretty progressive compared to Missouri. Catholics as opposed to the baptists we have here. Much colder and northern accents. Those are all things that come to mind. Most people here probably don't think about Iowa much though. I have never been there before so can't say much about it personally!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
From a perspective of someone from far southern Missouri(not really culturally midwestern) I always thought of Iowa as flat and full of corn. Pretty progressive compared to Missouri. Catholics as opposed to the baptists we have here. Much colder and northern accents. Those are all things that come to mind. Most people here probably don't think about Iowa much though. I have never been there before so can't say much about it personally!!
Minnesota is more flat than Iowa...people's assumptions about a state they don't know much about, are often off base.

Science: Several U.S. States, Led by Florida, Are Flatter Than a Pancake - The Atlantic

Old 12-25-2014, 07:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Illinois and Indiana are also MUCH more flat than most of Iowa. It certainly doesn't have mountains, but it's mostly rolling hills, up in the northeast part of the state and out west it's quite hilly with bluffs.

I asked my BF once if his parents ever ask him about Iowa when he goes back with me since they've never been there. He said they wanted to know if it was super flat, and he told them it was actually far more hilly than where he's from in Michigan. He said he was surprised when he went to Iowa City because the city is actually extremely hilly all over the place.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Iowa also has a strong and long history of tolerance that most people aren't aware of. They enacted court rulings far before most in many areas of civil rights, for instance on desegregated schools they were almost 100 years before the US courts, as well as women's rights, interratial marriage, gay sodomy laws, etc. The state was surprisingly progressive on rights for black people back decades before anything took place on a national level.
<snip>
Wyoming entered the union giving women the vote, women had the vote when it was a territory; Colorado was the first STATE to give women the vote. Iowa waited until the 19th amendment!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wyoming entered the union giving women the vote, women had the vote when it was a territory; Colorado was the first STATE to give women the vote. Iowa waited until the 19th amendment!
? I never said Iowa was the first state to give women the right to vote. It still has a strong history in womans rights.

■1838: Iowa, while still a territory, allowed unmarried women to own property. At that time, women did not have rights and in most of the U.S. they were considered property themselves.
■1846: The same year Iowa became a state, it became the second state in the nation to allow married women to own property (as long as it did not initially come from her husband).
■1851: Iowa legislated that the property of married women did not vest in her husband, nor did the husband control his wife’s property.
■1857: The University of Iowa became the first state university in the nation to open its degree programs to women.
■1860: The Iowa State Supreme Court ruled that a married woman may acquire real and personal property and hold it in her own right.
■1868: The Iowa State Supreme Court ruled that women could have custody rights.
■1869: Iowan Julia C. Addington became the first woman in the United States to be elected to a public office. She was elected to be Mitchell County Superintendent. Mitchell county is in northeastern Iowa. Oddly enough, women were not allowed to vote in Iowa at the time. She ran against a man and defeated him. Julia then got nervous about her election and asked the Iowa Attorney General to issue an opinion on her election. He wrote that her election was legal under the constitution of Iowa. That was the first such ruling from any Attorney General in the country. Even more astounding is that within a decade, 75% of the county superintendents in Iowa were women, another first in the nation.
■1869: Iowa became the first state to allow women to join the bar, thus setting the stage for having the first female attorney in the U.S., Arabella Mansfield.
■1871: Ada E. North became the first woman in the United States to be appointed to a statewide office. She was appointed the Iowa State Librarian.
■1875: Emma Haddock of Iowa City became the first female in the United States to practice law before a federal court.
■1894: Iowa became the third state in the nation to give women the right to vote (after Wyoming in 1869 and Colorado in 1893). Women could vote if candidates were not involved (such as bond issues). Note: Utah gave women the right to vote in 1870, but then rescinded it soon thereafter. It did not give that right back to women until 1895.
■1970: Iowa became the second state to adopt no-fault divorce.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^I know you didn't say that, I'm just saying, Iowa was hardly a leader. And Iowa did not give women full vote in 1894. They could only vote in elections where there were no candidates (!). They could only vote on "issues" until the 19th amendment. In fact, Iowa voters rejected an amendment to their own constitution that gave women the vote prior to the 19th amendment.
The Fight for Women's Suffrage « Iowa Pathways

Old 12-27-2014, 01:13 PM

591 posts, read 781,194 times
i see Iowa as an alone but not lonely time situation. i doesn't receive a lot of attention, but doesn't really care, because it knows what it has and loves it, and welcomes anybody who comes so they can appreciate it too.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I know you didn't say that, I'm just saying, Iowa was hardly a leader. And Iowa did not give women full vote in 1894. They could only vote in elections where there were no candidates (!). They could only vote on "issues" until the 19th amendment. In fact, Iowa voters rejected an amendment to their own constitution that gave women the vote prior to the 19th amendment.
The Fight for Women's Suffrage « Iowa Pathways
You do realize the woman's rights movement has a lot more pieces than simply being able to vote, right? Seems silly to say it was "hardly a leader". Research it before making blanket statements.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:45 PM

34 posts, read 34,465 times
I don't have a lot of positive impulses about Iowa.

Most of it stems from the conservative disposition that, as a conservative myself, I view as the embodiment of phoniness that plagues the GOP today.

Iowa farmers received $23.6 billion in farm subsidies between 1995 and 2011.

Iowans vote pro big government when it comes to social issues.

Yet were still suppose to respect this fantasy of hard-working, up at 4:00am to milk the cows, "Country folks can survive!," mantra?

Not a fan.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:08 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
I have lived here for almost 5 years. Nice place for people who want to settle, the people are incredibly nice but I would not want to settle here. It is just too bland, I don't really find a lot of excitement here but the quality of life is pretty good.

My attitude towards Iowa is indifferent, I have no complaints about this state and its people but I can't say it is a very exciting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.