Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:27 PM

31 posts, read 45,236 times

Advertisements

Good question. I think it all depends on what kind of work you're looking for, and what you like to do. I lived in NYC for a year in my early 20s and it was great for me at the time. I shared a tiny, not that nice apartment with friends from college and found work readily. I had big college loans and not much money, so I was super frugal. New York offers so much, and if you're careful you can do a lot for relatively cheap. I never took a cab, cooked a lot of beans and rice, and I still really enjoyed it. I loved the energy of the city. Moving there with friends was a big plus for me, too - we already knew we got along well as roommates and would look out for each other.

I'm in my 30s now and it would not be practical for me to live there again, so I do think there is something to be said for taking risks and giving in to wanderlust in your 20s because you may not have another chance. Just don't go into a lot of debt to do it, and don't sacrifice your career prospects too much. I would consider working overseas if you can, for the experience. Or living somewhere that you'd love to try out but that may not be a good choice later if you get married, have kids and/or elderly parents, are tied to an area for work, etc.

I could suggest some cities or smaller towns, but it would all depend on what you're looking for.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:58 PM

451 posts, read 465,342 times
If I could go back to when I was 20-23, I would have done a longer-term study abroad program to Spain or some other Spanish-speaking country, preferably in a popular college town or large city (Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico DF, Medellin, etc). I was getting good with my Spanish, went to Spain on exchange twice short-term for 2-3 weeks, but that was not enough to really tap in and make a lifestyle out of it, make more friends and get some women.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 PM

427 posts, read 500,011 times
I'm 23 and currently plotting my own move from the Midwest to Los Angeles. Why? Arguably the best career opportunities for in the US creatives, and not an insane cost of living (compared to NYC and SF). I just love Southern California and think it would be a perfect spot for me.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
If you or you and a significant other could move to any city
In the USA and start a career/family or if you just wanted to move somewhere new.. Where? And why?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about retirees but as stated in title early twenties.
If it were me at that age, and I was with a woman that I thought I would love forever and wanted to marry and have kids with, I think I'd want to move somewhere in middle America. Somewhere where I could have a small ranch and a place where the future children would have a great farm-like experience and a rural influence.

Fathertime!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
And that mindset is why over 60% of all twentysomethings have no savings.
Did you do that?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I'm 23 and currently plotting my own move from the Midwest to Los Angeles. Why? Arguably the best career opportunities for in the US creatives, and not an insane cost of living (compared to NYC and SF). I just love Southern California and think it would be a perfect spot for me.
True, LA costs a bit less than SF and NYC, but it's still insane.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:20 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Did you do that?
I have no debt, no loans, and I have savings. I pay for everything in cash.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Chicago has worked out great for me. Occasionally I've wondered what things would have been like if I had picked another city, but, after visiting friends in various places, I've realized that I'm doing the best where I'm currently at in terms of what's at my fingertips versus what I'm paying.

If I do pick up and move again, it probably won't be until I'm 30 or so and more established.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
I recently turned 22; I would like to move up to Knoxville, TN or Charlotte, NC but I don't know anyone up there. That's the only problem. Hypothetically speaking, if I had a decent job lined up with some family in the area, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I love the mountains, the scenery, and the climate there.

The town I live in now is okay, it's just more directed towards retired folks. If I were to stay in Florida, I'd move to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville or Tallahassee.

I'm starting to get tired of FL, with the constant warm weather, the Yankees, the growth and sprawl and the transient population.

Last edited by floridarebel; 12-26-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Money no object: SF
Money an object: LA, or perhaps somewhere else further out in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.