U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895

Advertisements

Winter finally happened Sunday. Over a foot of lake effect snow by my place next to the Lake. A good bit a county inland, as well, but not much once you get over towards Madison. Chicago really got nailed - foot and a half?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,580,212 times
Reputation: 8290
I am looking at a typical winter day here in western Washington today. 40s with heavy mist/light rain and foggy. Lots and lots of days like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,179 posts, read 3,849,305 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Winter finally happened Sunday. Over a foot of lake effect snow by my place next to the Lake. A good bit a county inland, as well, but not much once you get over towards Madison. Chicago really got nailed - foot and a half?
You guys get Lake Effect? But prevailing winds go East-West, wouldn't that end up blowing the lake-effect (assuming it's from Lake Michigan) away from you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You guys get Lake Effect? But prevailing winds go East-West, wouldn't that end up blowing the lake-effect (assuming it's from Lake Michigan) away from you?
Yes, we get lake effect. I know it's for some bizarre reason a surprise for everyone, but I get lake effect snow (and lake effect on temperature extremes) quite often living blocks from the Lake, not to mention growing up north in the state along Lake Michigan, where we'd be the only place in the country with snow and it would be a foot or two.

Milwaukee on Sunday set a snow record for Feb. 1. With a reported 10.4 inches in just one day, the new snow total easily beat the previous record of 9 inches even, set in 1915.

The official snow total for this weekend's snowstorm, which started about 9 p.m. Saturday and ended early Monday morning, was exactly 12 inches in Milwaukee.

The large snow dump this weekend was partially a result of lake effect snow, which falls when cold air moves across the warm waters of Lake Michigan.
http://www.jsonline.com/weather/milwaukee-snowstorm-beat-100-year-snowfall-record-b99437182z1-290526841.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 611,047 times
Reputation: 210
A little cooler today! -4C when i woke up in the morning! Loving it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,179 posts, read 3,849,305 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yes, we get lake effect. I know it's for some bizarre reason a surprise for everyone, but I get lake effect snow (and lake effect on temperature extremes) quite often living blocks from the Lake, not to mention growing up north in the state along Lake Michigan, where we'd be the only place in the country with snow and it would be a foot or two.

Milwaukee on Sunday set a snow record for Feb. 1. With a reported 10.4 inches in just one day, the new snow total easily beat the previous record of 9 inches even, set in 1915.

The official snow total for this weekend's snowstorm, which started about 9 p.m. Saturday and ended early Monday morning, was exactly 12 inches in Milwaukee.

The large snow dump this weekend was partially a result of lake effect snow, which falls when cold air moves across the warm waters of Lake Michigan.
http://www.jsonline.com/weather/milwaukee-snowstorm-beat-100-year-snowfall-record-b99437182z1-290526841.html
That's nothing, since 1900, Cleveland's had 11 days with 10" of snow or more. The largest single day snow was 13.6" on 2/2/93 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Reputation: 8936
Driest January on record ever in SF. Not a single drop off rain in what is typically the second wettest month of the year. It's been in the upper 60's and low to mid 70's lately too. Saturday was 75 where I live which is very abnormal for this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That's nothing, since 1900, Cleveland's had 11 days with 10" of snow or more. The largest single day snow was 13.6" on 2/2/93 .
Not bragging, who would brag about a ton of snow? Just showing you details on this weekend's storm so you know the amounts were due to lake effect snow.

I grew up in northern Door County, basically an island out in Lake Michigan, and spent a lot of time on another peninsula (Houghton) growing up. If you want to compare, I'm game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,973,088 times
Reputation: 6623
Hasn't been too bad so far after a cold late autumn. 60s this weekend! Hard to not rub it in to family back in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,580,212 times
Reputation: 8290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Driest January on record ever in SF. Not a single drop off rain in what is typically the second wettest month of the year. It's been in the upper 60's and low to mid 70's lately too. Saturday was 75 where I live which is very abnormal for this time of year.
I know you need the rain, but actually sounds like a great time to have visited SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top