U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM

749 posts, read 756,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks. That is one scary article.

So I guess Clemson and Guntersville are bad choices?

RUN as fast as you can........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:44 PM

449 posts, read 822,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I also live in Atlanta.

My post is dripping in sarcasm. I honestly can't believe people think they can't move to the South without having to deal with the 'Bible Belt' dominating life in this day and age. It seems as if ignorance has indeed won.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 PM

412 posts, read 407,044 times
Well anywhere in the South is going to be in the bible belt. How about a small town outside of a big city like Atlanta? That way you will be around a more diverse group of people but still close to the country.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,557,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
RUN as fast as you can........
And you know any of this how?

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM

The bottom line Jim Mac is move where you want. Come down and check out both places.

The people are super friendly, and I promise they won't try to convert you. Don't bring up religion, and there are no worries. If someone asks you to go to church with them, they are being nice. Politely decline.

I have lived in various areas of the South for more than half of my life. Not once have I been asked my religion, where or if I go to church and what my political leanings are.

Don't believe the ridiculous stereotypes.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:56 PM

449 posts, read 822,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
We are looking into possible places to move for retirement, and don't want to be among religious nuts. A couple towns we are interested in are

Guntersville, AL

Clemson, SC

Thanks
As far as AL is concerned, I would avoid anything outside outside of the Birmingham metro, and Mobile. The reason why I include Mobile is that it has a sizable Catholic population. Catholics tend to have more of a live and let live attitude towards life.

As far as SC is concerned, I'd say that Columbia would be the area most free of Bible Belt traits. I would also say that the Hilton Head would be an area to consider.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,063,038 times
Arizona and, to a lesser extent, New Mexico are home to many popular retirement destinations, and since those states aren't in the Bible Belt, I'd start there.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Arizona and, to a lesser extent, New Mexico are home to many popular retirement destinations, and since those states aren't in the Bible Belt, I'd start there.
Wrong. Arizona has more Mormans than you can imagine, or does that not qualify as 'Bible Belt' to you?

Have you ever been outside of L.A. County?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 10,592,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wrong. Arizona has more Mormans than you can imagine, or does that not qualify as 'Bible Belt' to you?

Have you ever been outside of L.A. County?
Traditionally, the Bible Belt has always referred to the South, and is also more about a lifestyle, as well as politics (and stereotypes), rather than simply the prevalence of religion itself. So no - Arizona is not the Bible Belt. Read the article posted on the first page. The first few sentences tell you all you need to know about the term/region the Bible Belt.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,769,078 times
Religious nuts are everywhere. I've even been approached by them in L.A. More than once. They're not limited to the rural South.

You just have to know how to avoid them. The worst thing you can do is argue with them. Whenever I'm approached by someone trying to "sell" me on their religion, I just politefully tell them I'm Jewish (which I'm not), and typically they leave me alone after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.