U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 PM
 
Location: District of Columbia
737 posts, read 1,411,572 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
As far as SC is concerned, I'd say that Columbia would be the area most free of Bible Belt traits.
I would agree as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,163 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
I would agree as well.


Wrong. That would be Charleston, not Columbia. Anyone in SC knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM
 
Location: District of Columbia
737 posts, read 1,411,572 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Wrong. That would be Charleston, not Columbia. Anyone in SC knows that.
Settle down there Scotty. I am from South Carolina, and I have the right to my opinion on this matter just like everyone else. We are discussing opinion not data. I don't recall seeing any measurable criteria that the original poster wanted. Everyone was giving their own opinion on this topic, as am I, and it should be free from harassment, badgering, and bullying. In your words from your previous post (#28), if it "doesn't matter that much", then act accordingly.

So yes, Columbia.

Last edited by sandlapper; 12-21-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,687 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks for the responses. I didn't phrase my original post properly. What I should have said is I don't want to be an outcast because I don't go to church. My wife does, but I don't. I may be wrong, but it's based on things I've read on this forum.
Yes - you are wrong.

Hope that makes you feel better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,163 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Settle down there Scotty. I am from South Carolina, and I have the right to my opinion on this matter just like everyone else. We are discussing opinion not data. I don't recall seeing any measurable criteria that the original poster wanted. Everyone was giving their own opinion on this topic, as am I, and it should be free from harassment, badgering, and bullying. In your words from your previous post (#28), if it "doesn't matter that much", then act accordingly.

So yes, Columbia.



Opinions are just that...opinions. Facts are something different. So yes, Charleston.


Read it for yourself.
http://cities.barna.org/americas-mos...minded-cities/

Look at #11 # 21 #30

Something everyone in SC has known from the beginning.
The further away from the coast the more religious the state gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM
 
515 posts, read 484,514 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks for the responses. I didn't phrase my original post properly. What I should have said is I don't want to be an outcast because I don't go to church. My wife does, but I don't. I may be wrong, but it's based on things I've read on this forum.
Unless you move to a town with a population of 32, I think you will be alright. Everyone in the south does not go to church, so you wouldn't be treated as an outcast. Maybe its because I live in a mid-sized city, but church isn't usually brought up in my conversations with others on a day to day basis, so I wouldn't be too worried. I wouldn't go by some of the thing that you read on this forum, a lot of them are stereotypes. It's not like some people make it out to be. I would recommend actually visiting the cities that you are interested in and see how you like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: District of Columbia
737 posts, read 1,411,572 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Opinions are just that...opinions. Facts are something different. So yes, Charleston.


Read it for yourself.
America’s Most and Least Bible-Minded Cities

Look at #11 # 21 #30

Something everyone in SC has known from the beginning.
The further away from the coast the more religious the state gets.
Again, I have been from South Carolina for longer than I care to remember, and I have never heard of such?

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and I do enjoy a good joust, however I am not as confident that the cited source would be something to hang your hat on. I suppose it is a relevant tool for the sake of this discussion however. Other than the cited source, I am unfamiliar with any other study (excluding peer reviewed scientific journals of course because I'm pretty positive that none exsist) conducted on such matters as the least "bible-minded" city in South Carolina? However, I am always open to enlightenment. Regarding fact, are the rankings from #11 to #21, and #21 to #30 statistically significant (and if so, how?), What's the demographic of the population interviewed, has BARNA.Org's methods ever been reproduced in other countries, etc..etc... If this information would have been provided it would make a stronger argument for fact. For example, the difference between fact and opinion; Fact: At 32 degrees Fahrenheit water freezes; Opinion: Someone states, "It's Summer so its gonna be a hot day". Fact is measurable, opinion is not measurable.

Yes, opinion is one thing, and fact is indeed another. I believe opinion is what everyone has the right to express on these forums, and again free from harassment, badgering, or bullying.

If you wish to state your opinion, then fine do so, I will not dispute your belief in the city of Charleston and the theological concepts of its citizens, you have every right do as such, however so do I in my beliefs.

So please allow me the right to my opinion, as I have allowed you the right to yours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,332 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, I can't imagine moving anywhere within or without the Bible Belt with your attitude. So if you see your otherwise friendly, helpful, kind, next door neighbors getting into their car to go to church on Sunday morning you're going to instantly label them as "religious nuts" and shun them? I live in Michigan, which is not traditionally considered a Bible Belt, and there are plenty of "religious nuts" (AKA Christians who believe that there is more to life than just us and the here and now) here. God help you if you move to a place like Tennessee or South Carolina with your mentality.

I agree with Scotty011. With all of the problems in our world, people who believe in a Greater Power should be the least of your worries. It isn't followers of Jesus who would be shooting up your local school cafeteria or breaking into your home.

Or murdering doctors that perform abortions, or blowing up abortion clinics. How bout the sheer ignorance of a member of Congress from the "Bible Belt" spouting these "truths"?

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'


Congressman Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said last week that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."


The fact is, people in the Bible Belt eat this stuff up and believe it. The sad part is that the rest of us have to live with the nut jobs they put in our government.


Sorry, but I'd rather live in areas of the country without the Jesus freaks.

6 out of 10 states with the highest murder rates were in the Bible Belt. So much for peaceful Jesus followers.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Or murdering doctors that perform abortions, or blowing up abortion clinics. How bout the sheer ignorance of a member of Congress from the "Bible Belt" spouting these "truths"?

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'


Congressman Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said last week that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."


The fact is, people in the Bible Belt eat this stuff up and believe it. The sad part is that the rest of us have to live with the nut jobs they put in our government.


Sorry, but I'd rather live in areas of the country without the Jesus freaks.

6 out of 10 states with the highest murder rates were in the Bible Belt. So much for peaceful Jesus followers.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
Well, as an Okie all I can say is hopefully the high murder rate is due to taking out those morally repugnant baby killers who tear the child limb from limb inside the womb. A horrific practice and present-day atrocity; that's what it is. If the murder rate goes up due to exterminating baby killers then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,687 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Or murdering doctors that perform abortions, or blowing up abortion clinics.
List of places where abortion clinics and providers have been attacked in the US:

Pensacola, FL
Brookline, MA
Birmingham, AL
Amhurst, NY
Wichita, KS
Rochester, NY
Oregon
Ohio
Montana
Miami
New Hampshire
Illinois
Tacoma, WA
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Virginia
Wisconsin
Indiana
Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
How bout the sheer ignorance of a member of Congress from the "Bible Belt" spouting these "truths"?

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'


Congressman Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said last week that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."
“You know what I heard… that it’s not black on black crime that’s killing kids in Chicago, it’s actually cops shooting those kids.” Chicago Democrat Monique Davis

“We don’t need to be having something like sequestration that’s going to cause these jobs losses, over 170 million jobs that could be lost.” California Democrat Maxine Waters (there are only 143 million people working in the US - so we're going to lose more jobs than we even have?)

“With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night decided to go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make?" Hilary Clinton

"We have to pass the law to find out what's in the law." Nancy Pelosi

But yeah - keep telling yourself that it's only Bible Belt politicians who say stupid things if it makes you feel any better.

Quote:
Sorry, but I'd rather live in areas of the country without the Jesus freaks.
Right, because obviously Jesus freaks are the freaks you should be the most worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top