U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM

12,341 posts, read 10,339,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
List of places where abortion clinics and providers have been attacked in the US:

Pensacola, FL
Brookline, MA
Birmingham, AL
Amhurst, NY
Wichita, KS
Rochester, NY
Oregon
Ohio
Montana
Miami
New Hampshire
Illinois
Tacoma, WA
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Virginia
Wisconsin
Indiana
Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“You know what I heard… that it’s not black on black crime that’s killing kids in Chicago, it’s actually cops shooting those kids.” Chicago Democrat Monique Davis

“We don’t need to be having something like sequestration that’s going to cause these jobs losses, over 170 million jobs that could be lost.” California Democrat Maxine Waters (there are only 143 million people working in the US - so we're going to lose more jobs than we even have?)

“With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night decided to go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make?" Hilary Clinton

"We have to pass the law to find out what's in the law." Nancy Pelosi

But yeah - keep telling yourself that it's only Bible Belt politicians who say stupid things if it makes you feel any better.

Right, because obviously Jesus freaks are the freaks you should be the most worried about.
Look no further than the comment above yours about exterminating baby killers. Gonna comment on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,529,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Look no further than the comment above yours about exterminating baby killers. Gonna comment on that?
One poster does not speak for the entire region. The South is NOT monolithic, despite what you attempt to insist.

And how interesting that Kathryn provided proof that your ridiculous claim was false, yet you conveniently deflect.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,440,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Or murdering doctors that perform abortions, or blowing up abortion clinics. How bout the sheer ignorance of a member of Congress from the "Bible Belt" spouting these "truths"?

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'

Congressman Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said last week that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

The fact is, people in the Bible Belt eat this stuff up and believe it. The sad part is that the rest of us have to live with the nut jobs they put in our government.

Sorry, but I'd rather live in areas of the country without the Jesus freaks.

6 out of 10 states with the highest murder rates were in the Bible Belt. So much for peaceful Jesus followers.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
Praying that you and your family have a blessed Christmas.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 PM

880 posts, read 2,532,743 times
Here's a link to the Association of Religious Data Archives which breaks it down by state, metro area, and county. I find it much more accurate than the study already posted previously. The Charleston SC area does seem to have the lowest evangelical percentage of any metro area in SC (especially Berkley county). The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports | Select Report

Old 12-25-2014, 02:02 AM

737 posts, read 1,414,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Here's a link to the Association of Religious Data Archives which breaks it down by state, metro area, and county. I find it much more accurate than the study already posted previously. The Charleston SC area does seem to have the lowest evangelical percentage of any metro area in SC (especially Berkley county). The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports | Select Report
I will concede to you that the dataset you suggested appears to be more scientific, or at least does a better job of explaining its methods vs. the previous source.

Yes, Charleston's metro appears to have the advantage in regard to the percent of individuals claiming to be non-religious, but the Columbia metro has more individuals claiming to be non-religious. For what its worth its a percentage advantage of 4 for Charleston, and a numerical advantage of approx. 28,000 for Columbia in a state that could easily be considered the poster child of the bible belt.

Last edited by sandlapper; 12-25-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 AM

34,712 posts, read 33,740,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
We are looking into possible places to move for retirement, and don't want to be among religious nuts. A couple towns we are interested in are

Guntersville, AL

Clemson, SC

Thanks
I think you should try Florida and be with the northeasterners that flood that state.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 AM

522 posts, read 556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, don't move anywhere in the South.

Just going about your business you will constantly be stopped throughout the day with complete strangers continually trying to 'convert' you. At your mailbox, in traffic at red lights, walking in your own neighborhood or the mall, at work, practically anywhere you go.

There is no escaping this, outside of your home. Even in your own yard there will be attempts at conversion to 'the other side.'

In other words, PLEASE don't move here with that outlook.
I've gotten the feeling that people in many areas of Utah will do that too. (heavy Mormon influence!)

Old 12-25-2014, 09:09 AM

21,978 posts, read 22,168,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
I've gotten the feeling that people in many areas of Utah will do that too. (heavy Mormon influence!)
Feelings can get in the way of reality.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:21 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, as an Okie all I can say is hopefully the high murder rate is due to taking out those morally repugnant baby killers who tear the child limb from limb inside the womb. A horrific practice and present-day atrocity; that's what it is. If the murder rate goes up due to exterminating baby killers then so be it.
I was going to respond to tom77falcons to correct him, but you just proved his point.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 AM

15,110 posts, read 31,467,926 times
If the majority of the churches in the area are Baptist, you're in the Bible Belt.

Southern Baptists are some of the most pushy and judgemental "Christians" I've ever seen, I know, I've lived around them my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.