Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:03 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Let him think what he wants. I'm perfectly happy that people as 'enlightened and tolerant' as the OP find the south too scary to consider.

LOL. The ignorance of some is truly amazing. I guess it is better that they stay away.
With all of the mess that is going on in the world, people going to church should be the least of things to worry about.

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-21-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
I live in southern Missouri. My city has about 30 baptist churches 10 pentacostal churches and 1 Catholic Church. That is what I consider Bible Belt.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
OP, I can't imagine moving anywhere within or without the Bible Belt with your attitude. So if you see your otherwise friendly, helpful, kind, next door neighbors getting into their car to go to church on Sunday morning you're going to instantly label them as "religious nuts" and shun them? I live in Michigan, which is not traditionally considered a Bible Belt, and there are plenty of "religious nuts" (AKA Christians who believe that there is more to life than just us and the here and now) here. God help you if you move to a place like Tennessee or South Carolina with your mentality.

I agree with Scotty011. With all of the problems in our world, people who believe in a Greater Power should be the least of your worries. It isn't followers of Jesus who would be shooting up your local school cafeteria or breaking into your home.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, I can't imagine moving anywhere within or without the Bible Belt with your attitude. So if you see your otherwise friendly, helpful, kind, next door neighbors getting into their car to go to church on Sunday morning you're going to instantly label them as "religious nuts" and shun them? I live in Michigan, which is not traditionally considered a Bible Belt, and there are plenty of "religious nuts" (AKA Christians who believe that there is more to life than just us and the here and now) here. God help you if you move to a place like Tennessee or South Carolina with your mentality.

I agree with Scotty011. With all of the problems in our world, people who believe in a Greater Power should be the least of your worries. It isn't followers of Jesus who would be shooting up your local school cafeteria or breaking into your home.

Well said!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
We are looking into possible places to move for retirement, and don't want to be among religious nuts. A couple towns we are interested in are

Guntersville, AL

Clemson, SC

Thanks
I suspect, if you move to the South, the "religious nuts" are going to be the least of your problems. You may have to have an attitude adjustment. I expect some folks will accommodate you.

Bless your heart.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Thanks for the responses. I didn't phrase my original post properly. What I should have said is I don't want to be an outcast because I don't go to church. My wife does, but I don't. I may be wrong, but it's based on things I've read on this forum.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks for the responses. I didn't phrase my original post properly. What I should have said is I don't want to be an outcast because I don't go to church. My wife does, but I don't. I may be wrong, but it's based on things I've read on this forum.

You have to realize that you have a lot of ignorant people posting on these boards that have no idea what the hell they are talking about. You would not be considered an outcast in the south because you don't go to church. The south is like any other place, many here never attend church. It's not like people are going to be bugging you to go to church. I live in the south and have not been to church in years.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:52 PM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is - most people aren't going to care. And no one is going to know you don't go to church unless you tell them. I seriously doubt the fact you don't attend church will affect your quality of life if you move to a southern city (unless it's an incredibly small town.)

edit: Our family hasn't gone to church in nearly a decade and we're originally from East Texas. Still hang out and are friends with church-going people, no problems.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
The fact of the matter is - most people aren't going to care. And no one is going to know you don't go to church unless you tell them. I seriously doubt the fact you don't attend church will affect your quality of life if you move to a southern city (unless it's an incredibly small town.)

edit: Our family hasn't gone to church in nearly a decade and we're originally from East Texas. Still hang out and are friends with church-going people, no problems.

I agree. Not only are they not going to know, they are not going to care.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.