U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM

79 posts, read 103,063 times

Advertisements

I am looking for small liberal towns 40,000 or less in population that are good for walking or riding a bike places any where in the united states will be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 04:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
Here are ten towns for you to check out. I considered all regions of the country, and I loosely ranked from most to least liberal.

Northampton, Massachusetts
Oberlin, Ohio
Key West, Florida
Saugatuck, Michigan
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Pullman, Washington
Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
Plattsburgh, New York
Galena, Illinois
Bisbee, Arizona

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-20-2014 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
I'd probably add Eureka Springs, AR to the list too.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:38 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,613,121 times
Moscow, ID

Old 12-20-2014, 05:20 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Ithaca NY, Amherst MA and Yellow Springs OH, among others, may work.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 PM

31 posts, read 35,975 times
Would you like to rely on biking and walking for almost all of your shopping, getting to work, etc.? Or just for some portion of your transportation?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently relocated to Mt. Horeb, WI (one of the towns Dawn.Davenport mentioned). It's definitely a cute, compact walkable town (population around 7,000) with easy access to the Military Ridge State Trail. I can easily walk or bike to anything in town, but we use our car pretty often to go out of town - for some types of shopping, for cultural events in Madison, etc. I think it would be limiting (for me) to live here without depending on a car. Depending on your employment, you might also have to drive for that, since there is no public transportation. It also gets pretty cold in the winter and I'm a wimp, so I sometimes drive to do errands in town, too.

To be clear, I really do like it here and the cost of living is very reasonable, I just wouldn't suggest it as a place to be completely car-free. You might need a bigger town and/or one that is less isolated. In this area, I think it would be more feasible to get by without a car in Middleton, WI.

A few other options near where I grew up - Newburyport, MA; Portsmouth, NH; Andover, MA. Newburyport and Andover both have commuter trains stops.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Davis, CA - pop 65,000

The bike capital of the world. Liberal, safe. University in town. Family-friendly. Close to Sacramento for more lively entertainment.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times
Cortland, NY is distinguishable from nearby Ithaca on a bike, as its streets are wider and flatter. Not quite as actively capital-L Liberal as Ithaca, but few places this side of Havana, Cuba are. Your housing dollar will likely go further in Cortland as well. Great local (not fancy real-high end) bike shop - no web site but Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Actio...68712833143612 . No Starbucks, but locally owned PNW-inspired coffee still available: Coffee Mania - Specialty Roasted Coffee Browsing the archive of its still locally owned daily newspaper Cortland Standard .net and looking at the town web site City of Cortland Official Web Site could give you a sense of the area.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Carrboro NC, population 18K. It's easily one of the most liberal towns in the US (along with neighboring Chapel Hill and much larger Durham) and in a moderate climate that's bike-friendly pretty much year-round. The town has a fare-free transit system in conjunction with neighboring Chapel Hill that utilizes bike racks on all of it's buses. Carrboro (and Chapel Hill) are considered among the Most Bike Friendly cities by the League of American Bicyclists which utilizes information such as bike lanes/infrastructure, safety and percentage of bike commuters.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:23 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Cortland, NY is distinguishable from nearby Ithaca on a bike, as its streets are wider and flatter. Not quite as actively capital-L Liberal as Ithaca, but few places this side of Havana, Cuba are. Your housing dollar will likely go further in Cortland as well. Great local (not fancy real-high end) bike shop - no web site but Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Actio...68712833143612 . No Starbucks, but locally owned PNW-inspired coffee still available: Coffee Mania - Specialty Roasted Coffee Browsing the archive of its still locally owned daily newspaper Cortland Standard .net and looking at the town web site City of Cortland Official Web Site could give you a sense of the area.
Good points and they even have public transportation in Cortland, but it isn't as extensive as Ithaca's. I thought about other communities with a SUNY campus or a private college like Hamilton.

Oneonta has both a SUNY campus and a private college: Welcome to the lively and historic city of Oneonta, New York

Potsdam and Canton are also like this in terms of a state/public and private college.

Kent OH comes to mind: Downtown Kent Ohio - Main Street Kent

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-21-2014 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.