U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:37 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,535,380 times

Advertisements

Indiana is very country in a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 02:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Modern country music makes me think of L.A. and that ain't a good thing.

The real stuff makes me think of places like Missouri and middle Tennessee. Texas and Oklahoma if we are talking about red dirt country.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:59 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,014,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Tennessee, Texas, maybe Georgia. Although I'm always surprised how universally popular country music is in SO MANY states.
Country music lover here in NJ. South Jersey, specifically. And I am far from the only one. You shouldn't be surprised at the popularity of country music in Middle America, because it tends to speak to our values and heritage more so than other popular forms of music. It could be the South, West, Northeast, etc. There's a lot that links us together.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Rural Northwestern PA - alternative bluegrass

Old 12-21-2014, 03:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 7,418,374 times
NW Ohio and SE Michigan are big country music areas. The country radio station in Toledo, Ohio, K-100, has been rated #1 in the region by a landslide probably every year since I've been alive, and I was born in the '60s. Their top two DJs, Gary Shores and Harvey J. Steele, have also won the "Country Music DJ of the Year" award at the CMA Awards, or whatever the other big national country music awards show is, more than once.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
I associate different kinds of Country music with different states.

Some country music makes me think of central California. Specifically, Bakersfield. Two of the main avenues there are named Buck Owens Boulevard and Merle Haggard Drive. Even L.A. has a pretty well-established Country music scene that goes back several decades.

When I think of Outlaw Country, 70's "Cosmic Cowboy" Country, and old time Country Swing, I think of Texas.

When I think of Pop Country and Alt-Country, Nashville is the obvious choice.

For Bluegrass it's Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and even North Carolina.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I associate different kinds of Country music with different states.

Some country music makes me think of central California. Specifically, Bakersfield. Two of the main avenues there are named Buck Owens Boulevard and Merle Haggard Drive. Even L.A. has a pretty well-established Country music scene that goes back several decades.

When I think of Outlaw Country, 70's "Cosmic Cowboy" Country, and old time Country Swing, I think of Texas.

When I think of Pop Country and Alt-Country, Nashville is the obvious choice.

For Bluegrass it's Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and even North Carolina.
Solid post.

Then there's Gram Parsons (FL/CA), Emmy Lou (OK), Dylan's country stuff (MN).... Country's anywhere there's rural and music flowing together.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,738,423 times
I know it's probably going to shock people who aren't from here, but country music is actually pretty big in California too. I live in the Bay Area and have many friends who listen to country.

Every country concert I've ever gone to around here has been completely sold out. I remember when the Brooks and Dunn farewell tour came to the Bay Area, they actually over sold the concert. The venue had way more people than it could handle- and it was Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View which can hold over 20,000 people. I've also seen Brad Paisley, Sugarland, Toby Keith, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert and Keith Urban just to name a few and every one of those concerts was sold out. The parking lots are always full of full-sized American trucks too, hardly the view most people think of when it comes to CA.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,744,944 times
States mentioned in country music lyrics

Country Music's Top Markets 2011

Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Country music is popular all over the U.S. When I was stationed in Germany over 30 years ago, I was surprised by the number of Europeans who enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or