U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM

353 posts, read 511,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Arizona, for sure.

Not many mainstream country music artists come from Arizona (even though that's not saying much, since most people don't come from Arizona to begin with), so you won't hear the state or its cities referenced all that frequently in country songs.

However, while living in Arizona, I observed a lot of folks were really into country music among other traditional "redneck" interests, such as guns, jacked-up pickup trucks and dirt-biking. This element was especially pervasive in the East Valley around Mesa and Apache Junction and in much of the West Valley.

I also recall meeting more than a handful of people in the Phoenix area who ONLY listened to country music and nothing else. Even in Dallas, I don't recall meeting people who listened exclusively to country.

Believe it or not, Florence, AZ hosts Country Thunder, one of the largest country music festivals in the country every April, and it's always very well-attended.

Compared to Southern and other Western states like Wyoming and Idaho, Arizona tends to fly under the radar in this category, but in my experience, it's a lot more "redneck"/"country" than many people think or give it credit it for.
Ehh. I agree with you about the East Valley/AJ/Queen Creek areas. They are kind of like the Phoenix version of the 909. However in most areas of the valley I'm familiar with country isn't that much on the radar. In my high school nobody and I mean nobody listened to that stuff. The people I do run across in the Phoenix area that listen to country usually fall into two categories. People who live in the outskirts like Queen Creek or Buckeye and people who moved to Phoenix from places in the Midwest like Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, etc. who liked country music before they moved there. As a Phoenix native I don't think the prevailing culture is anything redneck or country. Ironically some of the people who move to Phoenix from some of the states I mentioned above actually perpetuate some of the stereotypes you mentioned. They move to Arizona and try live a "country" lifestyle that they imagine Arizona is. On the rare occasion I run into someone dressed like a cowboy I think either they're from somewhere else or just passing through on their way back to Wickenburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:50 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,012,684 times
All the states mentioned in this song, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owL_39B_1rk

Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Bristol TN/VA is the birthplace of Country music. Knoxville is where it grew up. We all know where it lives as an adult.

Of course Country music is popular in Knoxville, along with rock, pop, & hip-hop just like everywhere else. But the local bands with local flavor are most likely to be Americana or possibly Bluegrass.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM

10,153 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I only know one or two people in Connecticut that like and listen to country music. There's only ONE country music station in the entire state (92.5) and I don't know anyone who listens to it. Country music just doesn't match with CT people. CT is the antithesis of anything country, redneck, conservative or southern. It's the deep north.

Not so! I see country music bands all over Connecticut. Also, you have 92.5 in Westbury, 105.5 in Danbury, 97.7 in Norwich. All country stations. I have family in Hartford and other areas of Connecticut, and they say country music is pretty popular there. Also google country music in Connecticut.

Country & Western Bands in CT

https://www.gigmasters.com/search/co...nd-connecticut

http://tickets.countrymusicontour.co...Sun+Arena+-+CT

Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM

12,631 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Not so! I see country music bands all over Connecticut. Also, you have 92.5 in Westbury, 105.5 in Danbury, 97.7 in Norwich. All country stations. I have family in Hartford and other areas of Connecticut, and they say country music is pretty popular there. Also google country music in Connecticut.

Country & Western Bands in CT

https://www.gigmasters.com/search/co...nd-connecticut

Country Music Concerts 2014 - Mohegan Sun Arena - CT Tickets
Nash FM serves the NYC metropolitan area, based out of West Orange/Newark, NJ. It's the area's first country station, we've had it for maybe 4 years now, and I'm pretty sure the NYC metro parts of CT get the signals too…

Nep, sometimes you try too hard. Country has gone mainstream. Like I said, I think it's because it's not hardcore country anymore, at least not the most popular songs. Many of them are pop influenced with some banjo, guitar, and twangy voice. CT is not even that "deep North."

Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nash FM serves the NYC metropolitan area, based out of West Orange/Newark, NJ. It's the area's first country station, we've had it for maybe 4 years now, and I'm pretty sure the NYC metro parts of CT get the signals too…

Nep, sometimes you try too hard. Country has gone mainstream. Like I said, I think it's because it's not hardcore country anymore, at least not the most popular songs. Many of them are pop influenced with some banjo, guitar, and twangy voice. CT is not even that "deep North."

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 PM

12,631 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Forgot to say, Nash FM is 94.7 so you can add that to the list. I'm not 100% sure that it's available in CT but I imagine it is in at least Fairfield County. Essex County, NJ, where the radio tower is, is not that far from CT, really. If radio waves could reach Montauk, they can probably reach Greenwich. Montauk is about as far as the end of CT near the RI border so…

I used to hate country music. I liked Carrie Underwood since day one on American Idol, and I liked a few country songs sporadically if I heard them, but lately I've been very into it. I like how light-hearted and fun they are. Most talk about the beach, drinking, loving America, all stuff I enjoy No shame in liking country music. It's very American. The fact that most country singers are Southern doesn't mean we can't all like it and relate. I mean, I don't relate to some of the songs that talk about a culture different than mine where I live (some of the singers try too hard in their songs to be "country" IMO) but overall it's a nice genre, the mainstream stuff. Nash FM is one of the staples in my car.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Forgot to say, Nash FM is 94.7 so you can add that to the list. I'm not 100% sure that it's available in CT but I imagine it is in at least Fairfield County. Essex County, NJ, where the radio tower is, is not that far from CT, really. If radio waves could reach Montauk, they can probably reach Greenwich. Montauk is about as far as the end of CT near the RI border so…

I used to hate country music. I liked Carrie Underwood since day one on American Idol, and I liked a few country songs sporadically if I heard them, but lately I've been very into it. I like how light-hearted and fun they are. Most talk about the beach, drinking, loving America, all stuff I enjoy No shame in liking country music. It's very American. The fact that most country singers are Southern doesn't mean we can't all like it and relate. I mean, I don't relate to some of the songs that talk about a culture different than mine where I live (some of the singers try too hard in their songs to be "country" IMO) but overall it's a nice genre, the mainstream stuff. Nash FM is one of the staples in my car.

I never was crazy about it myself, but I also find myself listening to it a little more now.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 AM

920 posts, read 1,015,091 times
I read where Georgia is becoming a Country Music hotspot. Due to your average Country Music fan being white and conservative, people from Georgia on CD have been strangely silent. Wow!!!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What about St. Louis and Louisville?

Once in a bar in London, Ontario, someone told me that Ottawa has a thriving alt country scene. I find that hard to believe? Can anyone confirm or deny?
Country music is popular is some parts of Canada and there have been a few popular artist from there like Shania (nw Ontario), Terri Clark (Alberta), and a lot of one hit wonder types from across Canada.
Lexington KY is known to have a good local country music scene that John Michael Montgomery and the band Montgomery Gentry originated from. Eastern KY is the birthplace of numerous popular c.m. artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or