U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM

207 posts, read 271,026 times

Advertisements

I would say out of the schools you have chosen, yes. They are all larger schools so you're probably gonna enjoy the experience regardless of the school you choose however I think that Oklahoma would most likely be your best fit based on your first post. It's a college town- big into sports- fits the size town your looking for and has access to much larger city to which traveling would be easier. To Britain.

My rankings for you...

1) Oklahoma
2) lsu/Missouri
4) Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 07:36 PM

207 posts, read 271,026 times
To the above post.. Yeah if you didn't already have a criteria I'm mind there are plenty of colleges that would be a for..

Illinois university
Illinois state university
University of Texas
University of Texas a&m
University of Arkansas
University of Wisconsin
University of northern Illinois
University of Michigan
University of Michigan state
University of Iowa

But again you have your criteria- which is great. I stick by the ranking I have you above..
Good luck whatever you choose!

Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,361,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I would eliminate St Olaf College, because the other four have better college sports atmosphere. I'd say Oklahoma has the best sports atmosphere of the remaining three and Missouri and Mississippi have good college atmosphere and Mississippi and Louisiana State have a good fraternity atmosphere. I think I would pick Missouri for you but Mississippi and Oklahoma would be good choices too.
I did not see sports on the OP's wish list. Not a very good way to pick a college in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:36 PM

522 posts, read 556,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingbeige View Post
Thanks for your input, so the South offers more of a "typical college experience"?

Really or are you being sarcastic?
Errr, I wish I could say I was, but no. If you want to live in place that will (as a Brit) make your mouth drop and have you saying "is this place really that backwards?" any of those choices will do you good! (Think of Wales and then multiply the 'countryness' by 50!) Then again, maybe it will make you appreciate all of the things that the UK embraces. I mean you're not going to be there forever, right? The only exception would be St. Olaf. Minnesotans are known as some of the nicest people in the country.

And to answer your first question, no. Typical college experience is in the North-Eastern part of the country. (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, etc.)

Old 12-22-2014, 03:56 AM

7 posts, read 4,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Errr, I wish I could say I was, but no. If you want to live in place that will (as a Brit) make your mouth drop and have you saying "is this place really that backwards?" any of those choices will do you good! (Think of Wales and then multiply the 'countryness' by 50!) Then again, maybe it will make you appreciate all of the things that the UK embraces. I mean you're not going to be there forever, right? The only exception would be St. Olaf. Minnesotans are known as some of the nicest people in the country.

And to answer your first question, no. Typical college experience is in the North-Eastern part of the country. (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, etc.)
I would like the South then as I want to go somewhere unlike the UK!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM

795 posts, read 1,055,707 times
Nobody in Michigan calls MSU "the University of Michigan State".

It's Michigan State University or MSU aka "Go Spartans (Sparty)!" (Just sayin')

Personally, I'd choose St. Olaf because it's a smaller college and liberal arts colleges tend to be more intimate than larger universities. You are taught by professors, not TA's and most of the classes are on the smaller side (25-30) people in the class. The downside is that they don't have nationally known sports brands that get TV coverage and all that goes with that.

Still, there is a sports culture at smaller colleges/universities.

I'm sure that wherever you choose to go, it will be the right fit for you. Good luck.

Oh - and you can get the "typical college experience" anywhere in America.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM

800 posts, read 645,838 times
Out of your list the only one I would pick is St. Olaf's. For a number of reasons...

First off, transitioning from Europe to a Deep South school like Ole Miss (U of Mississippi) or LSU could be an uncomfortable transition. Neither school is cosmopolitan, the schools (particularly Ole Miss) have a nasty history of racial problems, and are decidedly anti-foreign.

Ole Miss and LSU are not good academic schools. They hold no water outside of their state and primarily serve as country clubs for the spoiled elite of the state to get "educations".

A more typical American college experience is found in the Midwest. IMHO, the South is not necessarily reflective of the stereotypical college experience, just a subset that can be uncomfortable for those from Europe (I can speak to this on a personal level) due to the amount of hyper-Southern "patriotism" these schools espouse.

If you want the most traditional college experience possible while attending a school that will look good on your CV you should consider the following...

Indiana University-Bloomington (In the middle of the US, students from all over the country, cosmopolitan college town, great music scene, beautiful campus, lots of social life (routinely one of the best ranked "party" schools), one of the best business schools in the country (Kelley #9 in US), the best music school in the country (Jacobs), and top ranked liberal arts programs (No engineering though).

Ohio State University (The big kahuna in Ohio, great programs in engineering, medicine, and up and coming business school thats pretty well ranked. Sports are king. Very Midwestern)

University of Michigan (Incredible school, top ranked everything, huge sports culture, like IU, has people from all over the US).

Colorado-Boulder (Great school, Boulder named one of the best towns in the US to live in, thirty minutes from some of the best skiing anywhere, diverse student body (Lots of West Coast and Midwest kids).

Mizzou (Missouri) The best big school choice on your list, but IMHO the four up top are better.

Do not go to a Southern (SEC) school. You will get nothing, but blank looks from employers in Europe if you go to one.

While the Midwestern schools I mentioned have higher than 5% international population, a hefty majority of that population is Asian. I attended one of those schools and the few European students that attended were often well received by the student body and had a great, very typically American social experience.

As someone with a strong European background (immediate family from Scandinavia) I implore you to stay away from Ole Miss and LSU and go to a Midwestern school. Tons of school spirit, lots of fun, attractive, but smart people. Can't go wrong with a Big Ten school.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM

800 posts, read 645,838 times
Also, it should be noted that Indiana University-Bloomington, the University of Michigan, and Ohio State all have top 25 history programs and top 25 political science programs.

Ole Miss and LSU are not even ranked.

After rereading your criteria I implore you to consider Indiana University-Bloomington.

It is located in Bloomington, Indiana, a small, beautiful Midwestern town of about 80,000 (40,000 of that are students).

It is located only one hour from Indianapolis International Airport. I believe they offer direct flights to the UK depending on Airline.

Top ranked programs in History and Political Science (Top 25 in both).

Big school sports culture. IU has one of the best basketball programs of all time, the best collegiate soccer program of all time, in addition to other sports that are heavily supported by the entire state. Tons of school spirit.

Students from all over the US. Majority from Indiana and the greater Midwest, but also attracts a large number of students from the Northeast (NY,NJ,CT), Chicago area, and California.

Huge alumni groups for networking in both Chicago and New York City.

And just google IU's campus. One of the most beautiful anywhere.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 4,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Also, it should be noted that Indiana University-Bloomington, the University of Michigan, and Ohio State all have top 25 history programs and top 25 political science programs.

Ole Miss and LSU are not even ranked.

After rereading your criteria I implore you to consider Indiana University-Bloomington.

It is located in Bloomington, Indiana, a small, beautiful Midwestern town of about 80,000 (40,000 of that are students).

It is located only one hour from Indianapolis International Airport. I believe they offer direct flights to the UK depending on Airline.

Top ranked programs in History and Political Science (Top 25 in both).

Big school sports culture. IU has one of the best basketball programs of all time, the best collegiate soccer program of all time, in addition to other sports that are heavily supported by the entire state. Tons of school spirit.

Students from all over the US. Majority from Indiana and the greater Midwest, but also attracts a large number of students from the Northeast (NY,NJ,CT), Chicago area, and California.

Huge alumni groups for networking in both Chicago and New York City.

And just google IU's campus. One of the most beautiful anywhere.
I'm afraid none of the schools you listed, aside from Colorado and Missouri, are on my school's exchange list. Could I please message you privately to discuss this?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,209,806 times
I have been to all the state schools you have mentioned and graduated from Oklahoma and have lived in Norman for a majority of my life.

The most typical college/college town of the ones you mention is Missouri. Mizzou and Columbia is without a doubt the most traditional setting of that group. The reason is that Columbia is mid state cannot rely on another community. However, both Kansas City and St. Louis are a couple of hours away and are a great study in contrast between the east and west.

OU/Oklahoma is somewhat typical but is too close to Oklahoma City to have the vibrancy that Columbia, MO has. That being said, OU is the only town that is within 20 minutes of a city of 1 million. Norman functions nicely as a hybrid college town/suburb.

Ole Miss is a caricature of southern gentility. Ole Miss is a small school and Oxford is a small town that is very quaint and would be your best choice if you want to experience the south in a stereotypical fashion. Ole Miss is close to Memphis which has more character than Oklahoma City.

LSU is in a lot bigger city than the others. Baton Rouge area is more than 500K. Approaching 700 K. It's also the only one that shares a state capitol as well as well as an Historical Black College (Southern) that could provide you more resources for your history. New Orleans which is one of the unique cities of the world is an hour or so down the road.

From a study standpoint. Missouri has always been a gauge of American politics and has functioned as a crossroads of America since it's even before it was created. It was a border state in the civil war and it's undeclared war with neighboring Kansas sparked the Civil War. In fact Columbia was on the border of where the southern sympathizers met the northern sympathizers met in terms of territory. North of Columbia was northern and south was southern.

Oklahoma would be best to study Indian History and Western History. Oklahoma is also extremely strong in History of Science.

Mississippi is easily the best school for southern studies as they actually have an 'Institute for Southern Culture."

LSU is the best for studying colorful state politics, Cajun/Creole Culture as well as the culture of the Mississippi River.

As far as partying. LSU would be the wildest party school. Missouri would be next. Then Ole Miss but if you include Memphis then it would be the same as Missouri.

Oklahoma would be last but if you include OKC it is probably still behind the others but not by a lot. Of all the actual towns individually, Norman is way behind the others.

Sports.

Football: LSU over Oklahoma slightly. Those two over Mississippi slightly. Missouri is good but not in comparison with the others. However, the pre and post game partying at LSU and Ole Miss are head and shoulders above the others. Oklahoma is the most traditional power among the four but right now they are all four about the same in competitiveness.

Basketball: Missouri by a lot. LSU and Oklahoma are tied for second. Ole Miss is last in this. Currently though, Oklahoma has the best team of the four.

Baseball: LSU is the best. Ole Miss is second by a little bit. Oklahoma and Missouri don't compare to the other two. LSU and Ole Miss have the best teams as well although Oklahoma and Missouri are decent.

Track and Field is a big deal at LSU and not much of a thing at the others.

Soccer (english football) isn't a big deal at any of them and they mostly have just women's teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or