U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 11,144,238 times
Reputation: 802

Advertisements

I'll take snow over spiders any day. I'll take snow in the winter if I had to choose between 80 degrees, no humidity or snow. I can play ice hockey without having to spend $600 to rent a rink for a few hours to get some games going. I get snow days even when there's just a patch of snow in my backyard. In Buffalo, they didn't get snow days even when the roads were completely covered. I remember visiting last winter, we were watching the morning news and about 3 schools closed, even though there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, covered and slick roads, 45 mph gusts of wind and snow smacking you in the face. It was crazy. They're freaking nuts. Thank God for New York City's perfect, modest winters of only 21 inches per year compared to Buffalo's 105 inches, Boston's 53 inches, etc. We only get 6 more inches of snow per year than Charleston, South Carolina.

I think New York City is your kind of town. You'll just have to watch the roaches and rats. No, seriously.

Last edited by Futcha; 01-08-2008 at 02:18 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,528 posts, read 6,042,471 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Scorpions are nocturnal and can be easily found at night using a blacklight, they glow a brilliant green color. Grab them gently by the tail (metasoma) and put them in a glass jar (they cant climb glass) and take them outside
I'm sorry, I'm no scorpion expert... but uhh... There would be no possible way to make me grab a scorpion by the tail... Maybe to save my life, but yeah... I would work better with a glove and a dust pan... Not saying your info i wrong, but rather risky, and uhh intimidating . I would not recommend this to someone who doesn't mess with scorpions a lot... but maybe I'm hyping this up too much now ... Irony... anyways... :P
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,902,452 times
Reputation: 10297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I'm sorry, I'm no scorpion expert... but uhh... There would be no possible way to make me grab a scorpion by the tail... Maybe to save my life, but yeah... I would work better with a glove and a dust pan... Not saying your info i wrong, but rather risky, and uhh intimidating . I would not recommend this to someone who doesn't mess with scorpions a lot... but maybe I'm hyping this up too much now ... Irony... anyways... :P
WOAH! Youre right! I left out a vital piece of info there.... grab them with forceps or tweezers, NOT YOUR FINGERS! Thanks for pointing that out, I cant believe I didnt mention to use something other than your hands! LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,135 posts, read 1,078,439 times
Reputation: 82
My God, Steve-O, now we know what's crawlin' around in the terrariums in your bedroom!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,902,452 times
Reputation: 10297
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
My God, Steve-O, now we know what's crawlin' around in the terrariums in your bedroom!
Yep!







Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
1,196 posts, read 4,587,617 times
Reputation: 614
I live in a rural area of California on 5 acres, and have only seen 1 non-venomous snake and never seen a scorpion. I think I would freak if I saw a scorpion, we do have spiders but nothing too bad.

Steve-O that is impressive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,909 posts, read 9,431,084 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'll take snow over spiders any day. I'll take snow in the winter if I had to choose between 80 degrees, no humidity or snow. I can play ice hockey without having to spend $600 to rent a rink for a few hours to get some games going. I get snow days even when there's just a patch of snow in my backyard. In Buffalo, they didn't get snow days even when the roads were completely covered. I remember visiting last winter, we were watching the morning news and about 3 schools closed, even though there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, covered and slick roads, 45 mph gusts of wind and snow smacking you in the face. It was crazy. They're freaking nuts. Thank God for New York City's perfect, modest winters of only 21 inches per year compared to Buffalo's 105 inches, Boston's 53 inches, etc. We only get 6 more inches of snow per year than Charleston, South Carolina.

I think New York City is your kind of town. You'll just have to watch the roaches and rats. No, seriously.
uhh, where did you get your info from? charleston,sc avereges ZERO inches of snow during the winter, and boston averages 38 inches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,902,452 times
Reputation: 10297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I live in a rural area of California on 5 acres, and have only seen 1 non-venomous snake and never seen a scorpion. I think I would freak if I saw a scorpion, we do have spiders but nothing too bad.

Steve-O that is impressive.
Thanks Dave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top