Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times

Advertisements

Hello C-D friends! Let's take a moment to think and debate as to which states still retain a strong and visible Native presence. Based on some of the primary contenders (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Alaska, Oklahoma, N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Montana, etc.) which state seems to retain its Native American influence above all others. I find this topic to be somewhat interesting as authentic Native American culture and influence on daily life often appears to be rather non-existent for much of the country. So based on your experiences, which states tend to have the most active and influential Native American populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
There's still a very strong native culture and presence here in Washington (state). I'm not sure about Oregon, but the PNW on the whole retains a strong native presence. This also extends well into the inland part of the region (Northern Idaho, Western Montana), and over the border in British Columbia.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM

71 posts, read 133,936 times
This is a complete and utter guess but ... Possibly New Mexico and Oklahoma would be my swings at it.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
New Mexico and Oklahoma get my vote.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Quote:
There's still a very strong native culture and presence here in Washington (state). I'm not sure about Oregon, but the PNW on the whole retains a strong native presence. This also extends well into the inland part of the region (Northern Idaho, Western Montana), and over the border in British Columbia.
Very interesting. Indeed there is a noticeable NA presence in parts of eastern Washington and Oregon that often gets overlooked.

Quote:
New Mexico and Oklahoma get my vote.
I believe New Mexico just recently surpassed Oklahoma in terms of % of folks who identify as Native American. Second only to Alaska. I know South Dakota is up there percentage-wise as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:46 PM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
I find this topic to be somewhat interesting as authentic Native American culture and influence on daily life often appears to be rather non-existent for much of the country.
Besides the obvious fact that Native Americans now make up a very small portion of the population and *are* practically non-existent in much of the country, another limiting factor is the fact that most NA communities exist entirely on reservations. In order to experience NA life in most of the country you have to go to them. It's the opposite of many immigrant cultures that still retain strong presences in major cities (Chinese on the west coast, Italians in New Jersey, Irish in Boston, etc.) so people can easily access that culture.

Having traveled widely all over the west I'd have to argue for Oklahoma, South Dakota, or New Mexico as having the strongest NA effect on the state.

edit: And, IMO it's more noticeable in Oklahoma or South Dakota because of the lack of competing cultures. When travelling in New Mexico the old Spanish culture is often more noticeable and distinct than the Native American one.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Very interesting. Indeed there is a noticeable NA presence in parts of eastern Washington and Oregon that often gets overlooked.
Yeah, it's more prominent in central and Eastern WA than it is in the Puget Sound area for sure. It's more muted in and around Seattle, but only because that's the most urbanized part of the state. Still, there's a strong presence on the coast as well. Especially on the Olympic peninsula.

The town I live in is sandwiched between two very large reservations (Spokane reservation and Colville reservation), and immediately to the East there's the Couer D'Alene reservation. I work for the Spokane tribe myself, though I'm not native. Many of my friends here are.

Having lived in Arizona for 8 years, I would say that the presence of natives and native culture is just as strong here in WA as it is down there, though the culture is quite different up here.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Oklahoma- It's on the license plate.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
South Dakota.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Alaska, by far.

Arizona and Oklahoma are tied for second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.