U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
Reputation: 10280

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The whole purpose of the question is to figure out if Little Rock belongs in the same neighborhood as cities like Dallas, Tulsa, and Springfield or cities that are more southern (or southeastern) like Atlanta, Birmingham, and Columbia. I feel like Little Rock definitely belongs in the first group. Arkansas may not have too many transplants, but it's not exactly that southern. Or, southern on the same level as states further east like Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.
Dallas isn't anything like Springfield...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,255 posts, read 1,477,504 times
Reputation: 1732
This is an interesting question. I think western Arkansas is much more like Texas than it is like Mississippi. Eastern Arkansas is much more like Mississippi than it is like Texas. Little Rock essentially straddles those two areas, which are actually quite different in feel, culture and accents.

You could pull everything west of LR into Texas or Oklahoma and it would fit in fine. You could pull everything east of Little Rock into Mississippi or N. Louisiana and it would fit in fine.

Maybe W. Little Rock is more like Texas, and E. Little Rock is more like Atlanta. What street could we use as the dividing line?

For those who haven't visited, LR is an underrated town IMO. Its topo reminds me some of Austin with hills and trees to the west, and a waterfront downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 10:03 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
Reputation: 1650
But there are really no connections between Little Rock and Atlanta. For one, you have two whole states (MS, AL) between Arkansas and Georgia. Also, we've already clarified that people in Little Rock look towards Memphis or Dallas for sports. Seriously, I doubt the influence of Atlanta extends that far west. Oh, and there's this one tiny detail I didn't point out, Arkansas actually borders Texas!!! Little Rock to Dallas is less than five hours, Little Rock to Atlanta is around eight. Please, the answer is clearly Dallas. Arkansas and Georgia are in completely different neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,005 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Reputation: 7678
As someone who lived in Little Rock for a few years I strongly believe it fits in more culturally with the Southeast than it does with Texas or Oklahoma. Though its closer to Dallas so people who live in Little Rock are more likely to visit Dallas, the two cities are worlds apart in terms of overall feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As someone who lived in Little Rock for a few years I strongly believe it fits in more culturally with the Southeast than it does with Texas or Oklahoma. Though its closer to Dallas so people who live in Little Rock are more likely to visit Dallas, the two cities are worlds apart in terms of overall feel.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,005 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Reputation: 7678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
How so?
Cuisine, accents, racial and cultural demographics, and topography among other things. Little Rock has a lot more in common with Birmingham than it does DFW. Here is a comparison between the demographics of Little Rock, Atlanta, and Dallas. As everyone knows, demographics contribute greatly to the overall cultural feel of a city. Little Rock looks a lot more like Atlanta and there really isn't any disputing it.

Little Rock diversity
----------------------
White alone - 90,335 (46.6%)
Black alone - 80,923 (41.8%)
Hispanic - 12,614 (6.5%)
Asian alone - 5,845 (3.0%)
Two or more races - 2,927 (1.5%)
American Indian alone - 626 (0.3%)
Other race alone - 381 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 40 (0.02%)

Atlanta diversity
------------------
Black alone - 234,701 (52.9%)
White alone - 159,839 (36.0%)
Hispanic - 23,322 (5.3%)
Asian alone - 17,449 (3.9%)
Two or more races - 6,572 (1.5%)
American Indian alone - 1,048 (0.2%)
Other race alone - 529 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 308 (0.07%)

Dallas diversity
-----------------
Hispanic - 514,026 (41.4%)
White alone - 364,090 (29.3%)
Black alone - 305,833 (24.6%)
Asian alone - 39,358 (3.2%)
Two or more races - 14,223 (1.1%)
Other race alone - 1,849 (0.1%)
American Indian alone - 1,133 (0.09%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 596 (0.05%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Cuisine, accents, racial and cultural demographics, and topography among other things. Little Rock has a lot more in common with Birmingham than it does DFW. Here is a comparison between the demographics of Little Rock, Atlanta, and Dallas. As everyone knows, demographics contribute greatly to the overall cultural feel of a city. Little Rock looks a lot more like Atlanta and there really isn't any disputing it.

Little Rock diversity
----------------------
White alone - 90,335 (46.6%)
Black alone - 80,923 (41.8%)
Hispanic - 12,614 (6.5%)
Asian alone - 5,845 (3.0%)
Two or more races - 2,927 (1.5%)
American Indian alone - 626 (0.3%)
Other race alone - 381 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 40 (0.02%)

Atlanta diversity
------------------
Black alone - 234,701 (52.9%)
White alone - 159,839 (36.0%)
Hispanic - 23,322 (5.3%)
Asian alone - 17,449 (3.9%)
Two or more races - 6,572 (1.5%)
American Indian alone - 1,048 (0.2%)
Other race alone - 529 (0.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 308 (0.07%)

Dallas diversity
-----------------
Hispanic - 514,026 (41.4%)
White alone - 364,090 (29.3%)
Black alone - 305,833 (24.6%)
Asian alone - 39,358 (3.2%)
Two or more races - 14,223 (1.1%)
Other race alone - 1,849 (0.1%)
American Indian alone - 1,133 (0.09%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 596 (0.05%)
Dallas is that much closer to Mexico, so it's not unusual for it to have a higher amount of Hispanics nowafays. When Dallas was Little Rocks size, though, it was also a black and white city.

What about cuisines and accents? You need to be more specific here. Topography? Well Tyler, Texas looks more like Atlanta than it does Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,005 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Reputation: 7678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Dallas is that much closer to Mexico, so it's not unusual for it to have a higher amount of Hispanics nowafays. When Dallas was Little Rocks size, though, it was also a black and white city.
True. The original question was if Little Rock is more similar to Atlanta or Dallas. Demographically speaking in 2015 it's more similar to Atlanta. Little Rock is closer to Dallas so people who live there are more likely to visit DFW, but in terms of cultural and topographical similarities they are worlds apart. Having lived in Little Rock, I know that most people go to Memphis for their city fix and rarely go to Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What about cuisines and accents? You need to be more specific here. Topography? Well Tyler, Texas looks more like Atlanta than it does Dallas.
Topography changes fast once you get into Texas just as culture does. The Texas twang is different though from the Arkansas/Tennessee accent. As far as cuisine, in Little Rock it's biscuits, gravy, and grits. Memphis style BBQ is also really big. DFW is an international city so you have all kinds of cuisines, but in general that region of Texas its steak, Texas-style BBQ, and of course Tex-Mex (something difficult to find done well in Little Rock).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
True. The original question was if Little Rock is more similar to Atlanta or Dallas. Demographically speaking in 2015 it's more similar to Atlanta. Little Rock is closer to Dallas so people who live there are more likely to visit DFW, but in terms of cultural and topographical similarities they are worlds apart. Having lived in Little Rock, I know that most people go to Memphis for their city fix and rarely go to Dallas.



Topography changes fast once you get into Texas just as culture does.
Not really. Coming down 30 its hills and pines until you're about 2 hrs outside Dallas. East Texas is no small place.

Quote:
The Texas twang is different though from the Arkansas/Tennessee accent. As far as cuisine, in Little Rock it's biscuits, gravy, and grits. Memphis style BBQ is also really big. DFW is an international city so you have all kinds of cuisines, but in general that region of Texas its steak, Texas-style BBQ, and of course Tex-Mex (something difficult to find done well in Little Rock).
Texans eat that plus all of those southern foods you just named.

I'm no position to say I know LR better than you, but your experiences in Arkansas do not match mine at all. I've never lived in Dallas, but I am a Texan and have kin in Arkansas. When I lived in Georgia that was the place that felt like another world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,758 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63412
Little Rock is most like Memphis - Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top