U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
183 posts, read 184,944 times
Reputation: 265

Advertisements

There is far more in-migration between people in Little Rock and Dallas (DFW area), than Little Rock and Atlanta. That says a lot, IMHO.

I'm not able to properly post the hyper-link. Here's a link to an interactive map by Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
I think the issue may be that some of us may be a bit more perceptive. I'm sitting here thinking "if I can hear that the accents in Little Rock and Dallas are practically identical, why can't everyone else?" But I remembered that most people don't really pay attention to these things as much as I do. And maybe others just aren't as familiar with these cities as they might believe.

I know what I'm talking about, though. As usual.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,689 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I think the issue may be that some of us may be a bit more perceptive. I'm sitting here thinking "if I can hear that the accents in Little Rock and Dallas are practically identical, why can't everyone else?" But I remembered that most people don't really pay attention to these things as much as I do. And maybe others just aren't as familiar with these cities as they might believe.

I know what I'm talking about, though. As usual.
I am very familiar with Dallas and Little Rock accents, and can EASILY tell the difference between the two. The fact that you think they're nearly identical tells me that you're not as attuned to the nuances of accents as you think you are.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,590,860 times
Reputation: 3348
Not to take sides here, but honestly, that was sort of one of my reasons for considering Little Rock more similar to Dallas as well...their regional accents may not be identical word for word, but to my ears, they are much, much more alike than any Atlanta (or Georgia accent in general) that ive heard. People like Huckabee or Clinton have always had a different sounding accent than the relatively few Georgians ive known....but Ive always attributed this to being one of the differences between the settlers of the western south from the midsouth states like AR & TN, versus the early settlers of the more southeastern states, whose accents i would say are most similar between Georgians, Alabamans, and Upper Floridians.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,689 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Not to take sides here, but honestly, that was sort of one of my reasons for considering Little Rock more similar to Dallas as well...their regional accents may not be identical word for word, but to my ears, they are much, much more alike than any Atlanta (or Georgia accent in general) that ive heard. People like Huckabee or Clinton have always had a different sounding accent than the relatively few Georgians ive known....but Ive always attributed this to being one of the differences between the settlers of the western south from the midsouth states like AR & TN, versus the early settlers of the more southeastern states, whose accents i would say are most similar between Georgians, Alabamans, and Upper Floridians.
The thing is, Arkansans generally do not have that distinctive Texan twang at all. That's not to say that they sound MORE like Georgians than Texans, because they don't in my opinion. They sound like they're from, well, Arkansas - not Texas or Georgia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,983 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Reputation: 5092
Both Dallas and Atlanta metro areas are about 10 times larger than Little Rock metro area. A much fairer comparison would be Shreveport or Baton Rouge, Chattanooga or Greensboro. Even Omaha and Des Moines would be a better comparrison than Dallas and Atlanta.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Not to take sides here, but honestly, that was sort of one of my reasons for considering Little Rock more similar to Dallas as well...their regional accents may not be identical word for word, but to my ears, they are much, much more alike than any Atlanta (or Georgia accent in general) that ive heard. People like Huckabee or Clinton have always had a different sounding accent than the relatively few Georgians ive known....but Ive always attributed this to being one of the differences between the settlers of the western south from the midsouth states like AR & TN, versus the early settlers of the more southeastern states, whose accents i would say are most similar between Georgians, Alabamans, and Upper Floridians.
Right. And I think the mistake a lot of CDers make in discerning the accents of the region is that they tend to focus on the more suburban areas of the city as opposed to the older established communities where regional traits are much more alive.

Most people aren't very familiar with South Dallas, so I guess I'm not surprised that many here are having difficulty seeing the strong relation to Arkansas and western Tenn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
183 posts, read 184,944 times
Reputation: 265
^ Good points. You could also throw in areas of Shreveport as having a strong relation to South Dallas. The whole city leans strongly towards East Texas and Dallas. Some posters on here have stated Shreveport is a city most like Little Rock. Yet argue LR isn't more like Dallas. Go figure?!?!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,689 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Right. And I think the mistake a lot of CDers make in discerning the accents of the region is that they tend to focus on the more suburban areas of the city as opposed to the older established communities where regional traits are much more alive.

Most people aren't very familiar with South Dallas, so I guess I'm not surprised that many here are having difficulty seeing the strong relation to Arkansas and western Tenn.
Oh brother. You're assuming that because people don't agree with you, they just don't know what they're talking about.

People who are familiar with all three areas are disagreeing with you because it's been their experience that Little Rock is not very similar to either Dallas OR Atlanta.

You still haven't answered my questions by the way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,689 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
^ Good points. You could also throw in areas of Shreveport as having a strong relation to South Dallas. The whole city leans strongly towards East Texas and Dallas. Some posters on here have stated Shreveport is a city most like Little Rock. Yet argue LR isn't more like Dallas. Go figure?!?!
LOL Shreveport like Dallas? Err, not really. But you're free to think that if you like.

Shreveport and Longview/Marshall/Tyler have strong ties and all four cities have a southern sort of vibe to them. But these four ArkLaTex cities (and Dallas is not part of the ArkLaTex region) are striking in their DISSIMILARITY to Dallas.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say, the only real similarity I can see between Dallas and Little Rock is that neither city is part of the ArkLaTex culturally. But for that matter, neither is Bangladesh.


This thread is so silly - I don't even know why I keep coming back to it. Sort of like picking at a scab, I guess.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top