U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,696,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Little Rock has no NFL team.
Little Rock has no MLB team.
Little Rock has no NBA team.
Little Rock has no light rail system.

Dallas is 319 miles from Little Rock. Memphis is 137 miles from Little Rock. I'm from Little Rock and I don't know why this thread was even made.
Exactly, lol. Just another super silly City-Data city comparison about cities that are nothing alike, just for the sake of starting a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Little Rock is more like Memphis.

It's not at all like either Dallas or Atlanta to me.
BINGO!!! This is the correct answer. I'm originally from Memphis, the closest "big" city to Little Rock; Little Rock basically feels and looks like a smaller version of Memphis, as they are both in the same "Mid-South" region, and Memphis feels or looks nothing at all like Dallas or Atlanta. If you wouldn't (and you shouldn't) say that Memphis is similar to either city, then don't say Little Rock is, either.

Last edited by Julio July; 03-16-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Dallas.

Dallas is on the western fringe of the Mid-South. Atlanta
Huh?!? Dallas is nowhere near the Mid-South. Nowhere.

The Mid-South has Memphis at its center, up through the Missouri bootheel and the southwest corner of Kentucky to the north, the rest of West Tennessee to the east, extends down to the Mississippi Delta to the south, and ends with Little Rock to the west. And Dallas is a 4 1/2 hour drive from Little Rock...

Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well since both Dallas and Little Rock have considerable proximity to Arklatex, reasonable thought should tell you that there would be some cultural parallels.

Like I said before, all you have to do is visit southern Dallas to observe the similarities to Little Rock and Memphis.
What similarites? Impoverished, Southern-cultured black people? That's nothing to base your argument on. You can find the same thing up North in Midwestern cities like Chicago and St. Louis, but those cities as a whole aren't anything like Dallas or Atlanta, either.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
I think it's probably people think a city is similar to another city in a neighboring state. Just like people did with Dallas and OKC.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it's probably people think a city is similar to another city in a neighboring state. Just like people did with Dallas and OKC.
Yeah, but that's still stupid, because both cities are hours apart in two entirely different regions with pretty much nothing in common. That would be like saying Miami and Montgomery are alike, because Florida borders Alabama.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, but that's still stupid, because both cities are hours apart in two entirely different regions with pretty much nothing in common. That would be like saying Miami and Montgomery are alike, because Florida borders Alabama.
I know. Just saying why people are thinking Dallas has something in common with Little Rock. I don't find many similarities between the two. Just like I don't find many similarities between Dallas and OKC other than topography.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,277,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know. Just saying why people are thinking Dallas has something in common with Little Rock. I don't find many similarities between the two. Just like I don't find many similarities between Dallas and OKC other than topography.
Ft. Worth is kinda similar to OKC, though.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,038,974 times
I'm in Little Rock currently on business and can tell you it's nothing like Atlanta whatsoever. I'm in North Little Rock by the greyhound station. It reminds me of Montgomery AL.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM

183 posts, read 185,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?

It seems like it has more Southern characteristics, yet, it isn't all that far from Dallas compared to say Atlanta. What would you say LITTLE ROCK is more like?
My goodness people, just answer the OP's question! Nowhere in the OP was it presented was Little Rock more like Memphis, Shreveport, OKC or Paris, FR. The choices were ATLANTA or DALLAS.

I commented that LR has more likeness to Dallas than Atlanta (eventhough it's nothing like either), and stick by that assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or