U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 AM

45,029 posts, read 36,268,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree with Poncey on this one.

4 months of occasionally opening up this thread from time to time, and seeing K.A. on nearly every page saying the EXACT same thing over and over. I can 100% guarantee that I will walk away from this thread, and the very next time I view it, there will be another K.A. post saying EXACTLY the same thing again.

We get your your opinion. If you change your mind and want to contribute something different or relevant, come on by again and share that instead. Just doing the broken record thing is a waste of everyone's time, I'm sure you have better things to do. Let's just focus only on the topic (by adding something new or interesting), or take a break from contributing if you have nothing new to contribute.
Oh, you mean like this, from yesterday?

Quote:
Northeast Texas, yes, to some extent, because northeast Texas was agrarian, much like southwest Arkansas and northeast Louisiana. Cities in NE Texas, such as Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Texarkana, and the smaller towns surrounding those have always had strong cultural and economic ties to Shreveport, El Dorado, Magnolia, Nachitoches, and to cities a bit further flung like Monroe LA, Memphis TN,and Little Rock AR.

But Dallas has culturally and historically been much more "western" in nature and economically. Yes, it's a hub of commerce, like Little Rock, Shreveport, Oklahoma City, Jackson MS, and Atlanta, so of course there are economic ties with LR, just like there are economic ties to all the cities above.

The following article about railroad history in Arkansas is pretty interesting. It shows the economic ties that Little Rock had to other cities in the region. Reading the article, you can actually envision the active trade between Little Rock and other Arkansas cities, with St Louis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Texarkana, Nashville, Oklahoma City, and (mentioned over and over again - you guessed it) MEMPHIS. Though of course there were trains running to Dallas or Fort Worth via lines that went through Little Rock as well, the same could be said for Atlanta.

History of Arkansas Railroads

By the way, Dallas wasn't even declared a CITY till 1871. Little Rock and Atlanta had been cities for forty years by that time.

Railroads were what connected cities as our country grew. The Memphis/Little Rock railroad was the first railroad built in Arkansas.
Memphis and Little Rock Railroad (M&LR) - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

You can also see by reading various articles on the economic history of Arkansas that the strongest cultural and economic ties were with St Louis. In fact, Dallas is seldom mentioned - nor is Atlanta.

Just some interesting tidbits.
I get it that you don't agree with me on this topic. But this is a public forum, and I am respecting the TOS. I have my opinion on this topic, and I am adding relevant information to the thread, and interacting with others respectfully. It really doesn't matter whether you agree with me or like my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM

99 posts, read 131,019 times
Little rock is begining to feel and look like Atlanta. Its memphis jr thats mixed with dallas but the difference between memphis and little rock, besized the population, is that it begining to feel more sophisticated and not as gimmicky like memphis. Ive lived in all these cities. Little rock is a up and comer city. No its not an Atl or dallas, those are huge metros, but little rock does not feel or look like any other southern cities in its area. It has a very balanced population, almost 50/50 in both minority and majority populations. Little rock has developed over time its own unique food, music, and culture, in a way, following a path similar to an memphis or atlanta. It maybe the last true southern culture city before heading out towards the midwest and west. Okc and dallas are culturally different from the mid-south and southeast. Little rock is a gateway city between the southeast culture and the midwest-western culture, and the city beauty and culture reflects that...

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,480,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalim123 View Post
Little rock is begining to feel and look like Atlanta. Its memphis jr thats mixed with dallas but the difference between memphis and little rock, besized the population, is that it begining to feel more sophisticated and not as gimmicky like memphis. Ive lived in all these cities. Little rock is a up and comer city. No its not an Atl or dallas, those are huge metros, but little rock does not feel or look like any other southern cities in its area. It has a very balanced population, almost 50/50 in both minority and majority populations. Little rock has developed over time its own unique food, music, and culture, in a way, following a path similar to an memphis or atlanta. It maybe the last true southern culture city before heading out towards the midwest and west. Okc and dallas are culturally different from the mid-south and southeast. Little rock is a gateway city between the southeast culture and the midwest-western culture, and the city beauty and culture reflects that...
There is an optimism about Little Rock, and an enthusiasm about its downtown and natural areas that make it feel like a city "about to happen". I have visited there a few times and it seems "lighter" and less morose or downtrodden than how Memphis feels to me.

I agree that Little Rock is underrated and is poised for some good positive growth in the near future.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:41 PM

5,306 posts, read 3,520,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree with Poncey on this one.

4 months of occasionally opening up this thread from time to time, and seeing K.A. on nearly every page saying the EXACT same thing over and over. I can 100% guarantee that I will walk away from this thread, and the very next time I view it, there will be another K.A. post saying EXACTLY the same thing again.

We get your your opinion. If you change your mind and want to contribute something different or relevant, come on by again and share that instead. Just doing the broken record thing is a waste of everyone's time, I'm sure you have better things to do. Let's just focus only on the topic (by adding something new or interesting), or take a break from contributing if you have nothing new to contribute.
And how about you as someone not from the States tone it down a bit? You attacking Kathryn pretty much erases any credibility you have here.

Have you ever been to Little Rock?

As literally dozens have said, it's closer to and has more ties to DFW. It looks somewhat more similar to ATL. The similarities to both end there, period.

You have dissected this subject to the point of absurdity.

Last edited by JMatl; 05-07-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 08:24 PM

9,089 posts, read 4,143,193 times
I think a better question would be if Little Rock is more like Birmingham or Oklahoma City. Birmingham is Atlanta's small city outpost and OKC is the same for Dallas. Dallas and Atlanta are powerhouses and it's hard to compare a small city like Little Rock to either.

In this comparison I would say Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or