U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 29 days ago)

7,218 posts, read 8,231,053 times

Advertisements

Neither.

There are suburbs of Dallas that are larger than Little Rock and Atlanta is a lot more fast-paced, has more going for it, and just a different vibe/feel to it than Little Rock. Someone said Dallas and Atlanta are more similar to each other than Little Rock is to either. I agree.

FWIW though, a lot of Arkansas residents seem to be huge Dallas Cowboy fans, probably the most popular team in the state behind the Razorbacks, so I guess if I had to pick one, I would pick Dallas based on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 05:59 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Define "superficial and negligible". However small these similarities may be, the fact of the matter is that they exist, and, in my opinion, there are more between LR and DAL than LR and ATL. That's my only point, and that's all the OP is asking from us: which city does LR have the most in common with. It's kind of dumbfounding that I have had to explain this so many times.
I don't know why you think everyone in this thread is stupid except you, and it's pretty nauseating to hear you keep insinuating this. People know exactly what's being asked, but the point they're making--and that seems to be lost on you--is that the differences between Little Rock and either Dallas and Atlanta are so overwhelming until the few similarities Little Rock has with either city mean little to nothing. You're adamant about keeping the discussion "on paper" and that's fine, but stop getting upset with people when they make the point that it means little to nothing in reality.

Now I see why it's often stated that soft skills are more important in one's career and in life than technical skills.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:42 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think it's a stupid question myself.

I've spent a lot of time in all three cities - LR, Dallas, and Atlanta. LR is simply NOT similar to either of the other two cities. It is so dissimilar to Dallas that the very idea is sort of jarring. The two cities are hardly alike at all - even their weather and terrain are very different.
Well, then your answer would be Atlanta.

I don't understand the difficulty of the question. If it's so extremely NOT like Dallas, than by default, it's the other.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:45 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Pretty much. If we're discussing "mini-Atlanta's" then Charlotte, Birmingham, Raleigh/Durham, and Nashville make the most sense. As for a "mini-Dallas" I guess Oklahoma City, but I've also heard similarities drawn between Dallas and Charlotte if you could believe it. Apparently, both have a glitzy flavor.

I'm going to have to agree with mega man in this situation. Arkansas borders Texas, while Georgia is three states over to the east. That's like asking if Nashville is more similar to Dallas or Charlotte. In my mind, Arkansas isn't as culturally southern as people seem to think on this site. Grouping Arkansas with Oklahoma/Missouri/Texas makes more sense to me then grouping it with Mississippi/Tennessee/Louisiana. Obviously, it's still a southern state. But Deep South as a whole? Not if you ask me. Little Rock belongs in the same neighborhood as Tulsa or Springfield, not Montgomery or Savannah.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for a few days. Happy holidays, folks
I think you aren't understanding the question.

It's not about being a 'mini-Dallas' or a 'mini-Atlanta'. It's also not about identifying similar-size cities that might be similar to Little Rock.

It's like this, if someone said is Los Angeles more like San Diego or San Francisco, I'd quickly say San Diego. Of course, LA isn't SD, but it's more like SD than SF.

Another example, if someone said is Baltimore more like Philadelphia or Washington DC. Of course Baltimore isn't the same size or of the same importance of either, but the attributes of rowhomes and demographics would make it more similar to Philadelphia, etc.

Not clarifying specifically for you, but for ALL of the many on the thread who seem to be struggling with the question.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:48 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know why you think everyone in this thread is stupid except you, and it's pretty nauseating to hear you keep insinuating this. People know exactly what's being asked, but the point they're making--and that seems to be lost on you--is that the differences between Little Rock and either Dallas and Atlanta are so overwhelming until the few similarities Little Rock has with either city mean little to nothing. You're adamant about keeping the discussion "on paper" and that's fine, but stop getting upset with people when they make the point that it means little to nothing in reality.

Now I see why it's often stated that soft skills are more important in one's career and in life than technical skills.
I completely understand that perspective. When you look at the bigger picture, Little Rock is not similar at all to Dallas or Atlanta. But that isn't what the topic is about, so what purpose does it serve to simply come into a thread and repeatedly state the blatantly obvious fact that LR is too small to be fairly compared to the other cities? There are numerous people here suggesting that the OP's question is nonsensical, when it isn't at all.

27 people voted on the poll, so it's clear that I'm not the only one who had no issue answering the question they were asked.

This is a message board. Soft skills have little to no use here.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I completely understand that perspective. When you look at the bigger picture, Little Rock is not similar at all to Dallas or Atlanta.
OK, but then you say...

Quote:
There are numerous people here suggesting that the OP's question is nonsensical, when it isn't at all.
LMAO! Little Rock isn't similar at all to Dallas or Atlanta, but asking if Little Rock is more similar to Dallas or Atlanta isn't nonsensical. That's rich.

Quote:
27 people voted on the poll, so it's clear that I'm not the only one who had no issue answering the question they were asked.
This on a message board where people create accounts just to vote for their favorite city or against the city they hate most. Yeah, you can put a lot of stock into that if you want.

Quote:
This is a message board. Soft skills have little to no use here.
You've just proven my point actually; I just hope you aren't this robotic in person.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:14 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, but then you say...

LMAO! Little Rock isn't similar at all to Dallas or Atlanta, but asking if Little Rock is more similar to Dallas or Atlanta isn't nonsensical. That's rich.
Well, the fact that you can't understand the difference between those two statements is why we're having this discussion in the first place.

Quote:
This on a message board where people create accounts just to vote for their favorite city or against the city they hate most. Yeah, you can put a lot of stock into that if you want.
...because being compared to Little Rock is a poll that every homer wants their city to win? I doubt that's the case here. Most of the people who voted aren't from either city and have no dog in whatever fight you think is going on.

Quote:
You've just proven my point actually; I just hope you aren't this robotic in person.
You have no point, apparently. How's your holiday going?

Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
There's no problem with the OP's question. It's that y'all don't understand what he's asking you.

As a whole, no, Little Rock and Dallas are not similar, but that does not mean that there aren't similarities that exist between them. There are parallels when it comes to accents, food, etc.

Due to Little Rock being further north and east, it's climate will be a tad cooler and wetter than Dallas', but the differences are in no way extreme. In both cities, August is the hottest and driest month and winters are reliably cloudy and wet.
I understand the question. I just think it's a dumb question.

Little Rock and Dallas are similar? Yeah, I guess so - they're both in the United States.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:17 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
False

Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Well, the fact that you can't understand the difference between those two statements is why we're having this discussion in the first place.
And you're still not getting it but if you can't pick up on the nuances of discussions like these, I really don't have the time to teach you. It's that robotic thinking of yours coming into play here that divorces questions like these from the larger context of the discussion.

Quote:
...because being compared to Little Rock is a poll that every homer wants their city to win? I doubt that's the case here. Most of the people who voted aren't from either city and have no dog in whatever fight you think is going on.
And you know this how? You don't even know who's voted in this poll but somehow you magically know this? Oh I forgot, you're smarter than everybody else on this thread.

Quote:
You have no point, apparently. How's your holiday going?
No, you just didn't like the point I made. There's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or