U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 32 44.44%
Dallas 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:55 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,168,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Seriously. Why would Atlanta be in the minds of people in Little Rock or the whole state of Arkansas? The influence of Atlanta doesn't extend west of Alabama. I've heard most people in Arkansas pull for Dallas teams, like the Dallas Cowboys. Not to mention the fact that Dallas is much closer.
Painfully obvious facts that people are choosing to overlook, for whatever reason.

As far as how far the larger cities' influence goes, I would say that Atlanta, Houston and Dallas all share Mississippi and western Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,246,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Painfully obvious facts that people are choosing to overlook, for whatever reason.

As far as how far the larger cities' influence goes, I would say that Atlanta, Houston and Dallas all share Mississippi and western Tennessee.
I can kinda agree with this. I think Memphis and Mississippi is more of Houston and Dallas's reach; a lot of Mississippi is Alabama as well. Louisiana is mostly Houston's.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I can kinda agree with this. I think Memphis and Mississippi is more of Houston and Dallas's reach; a lot of Mississippi is Alabama as well. Louisiana is mostly Houston's.
As far as I know, Memphians are just as likely to look to Dallas as they are to Atlanta. Mississippians can also go either way, but I would say that they possibly lean more towards the Texas cities. Louisiana splits itself with Dallas and Houston.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,276,304 times
I guess Mississippi would be divided between New Orleans and Memphis, but regarding a major city, I'm not really sure. Mississippi kind of sits in the middle of Atlanta and Dallas/Houston. However, I believe most people in MS pull for New Orleans teams like the Saints. Arkansas and Oklahoma would go for Dallas teams, but southern Arkansas could possibly look towards New Orleans. Alabama probably goes for Atlanta teams, or maybe even New Orleans teams in the southern part of the state (Mobile).

Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Southern Louisiana is for sure under Houston's sphere of influence but Northwestern Louisiana (namely Shreveport) is more under Dallas'.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I guess Mississippi would be divided between New Orleans and Memphis, but regarding a major city, I'm not really sure. Mississippi kind of sits in the middle of Atlanta and Dallas/Houston. However, I believe most people in MS pull for New Orleans teams like the Saints. Arkansas and Oklahoma would go for Dallas teams, but southern Arkansas could possibly look towards New Orleans. Alabama probably goes for Atlanta teams, or maybe even New Orleans teams in the southern part of the state (Mobile).
This is on the money. Okies/Arkies mainly root for the Dallas Cowboys.

And you are right about folks from MS. Many many Missippians moved here after Katrina; they definitely pull for the Saints.

In basketball Oklahoma/Arkansas are now split between OKC/Memphis or OKC/Dallas because of the Thunder.

Baseball is a little tougher. About half of Okies and most Arkies root for the Cardinals. The other half of Okies pull for the Rangers. The Misissippians and Lousianans that came here because of Katrina are generally Braves fans.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This is on the money. Okies/Arkies mainly root for the Dallas Cowboys.

And you are right about folks from MS. Many many Missippians moved here after Katrina; they definitely pull for the Saints.

In basketball Oklahoma/Arkansas are now split between OKC/Memphis or OKC/Dallas because of the Thunder.

Baseball is a little tougher. About half of Okies and most Arkies root for the Cardinals. The other half of Okies pull for the Rangers. The Misissippians and Lousianans that came here because of Katrina are generally Braves fans.
The Atlanta Braves are THE TEAM for the majority of the southeast. In North Carolina, you would think a fair chunk of the population would go for the Washington Nationals, but this state as a whole is definitely Atlanta Braves country.

Arkansas could go for the Rangers, Cardinals, and maybe even the Royals. Oklahoma going for the Rangers makes sense to me. The further east you go, like Lousiana and Mississippi, I feel like you'll encounter more Braves fans.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Well, it's obvious that New Orleans and Memphis would have pull in Mississippi, but even those cities look to larger cities, and it would be Houston and Dallas/Atlanta, respectively.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM

53 posts, read 48,606 times
Little Rock isn't really like either. Dallas is a HUGE city. Atlanta is also pretty darn big. Little Rock is more like Memphis, TN or Shreveport, LA. Much, much smaller than the two raised for comparison. Little Rock isn't a small town, but it's far from being a "big city"... It is, however, a capitol city, and the state's largest city. But it's not all that big!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:47 PM

The whole purpose of the question is to figure out if Little Rock belongs in the same neighborhood as cities like Dallas, Tulsa, and Springfield or cities that are more southern (or southeastern) like Atlanta, Birmingham, and Columbia. I feel like Little Rock definitely belongs in the first group. Arkansas may not have too many transplants, but it's not exactly that southern. Or, southern on the same level as states further east like Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or