Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 33 45.21%
Dallas 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Little Rock is more like Memphis.

It's not at all like either Dallas or Atlanta to me.
I don't think the OP is saying that LR shares many similarities with DAL or ATL, but if you had to pick between the two which would it be more like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Little rock is far more southern culturally than either city. The southern accent is still very strong even in the younger generation. That has been lost in Dallas and Atlanta.
Not true. Plenty of young Dallasites and Atlantans still have southern accents.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 112,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Louisiana and Mississippi are solidly Deep South, but I guess you could add them to the list if you wanted to. This is basically "the other side of the South" to me, being from North Carolina. The Mississippi River has to be the dividing line.
I have relatives in Arkansas, Texas, and South Missouri. From their viewpoint - the Carolinas, Georgia, bama, and west Tennessee are the "other side of the South". In fact, they see them as mostly rich yuppie transplants I see what their saying but I disagree. Can't paint anything with a broad brush in this day and age.

P.S. If you've not spent much time in south Missouri and ever get a chance, I highly recommend it if before you leave them out the south. Cotton fields, Delta, the Ozarks, (basically the same as Appalachia but without the transplants), and more cattle farms per capita than any other state except Texas to boot. The southern half of that state is for sure very much a part of the south IMO. Lets just say there's not a lot that resembles Michigan, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas or Illinois.

As far as Little Rock goes, its a tough one between Dallas & Atlanta. It honestly feels like a smaller, cleaner, and more scenic version of Memphis to me.

Last edited by southernbythegraceofgod; 12-23-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 08:09 AM

320 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well, are you saying Little Rock is more like Atlanta? If so, why?
It's not like Dallas or Atlanta. Little Rock is too small to be like those cities.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:10 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbythegraceofgod View Post
I have relatives in Arkansas, Texas, and South Missouri. From their viewpoint - the Carolinas, Georgia, bama, and west Tennessee are the "other side of the South". In fact, they see them as mostly rich yuppie transplants I see what their saying but I disagree. Can't paint anything with a broad brush in this day and age.

P.S. If you've not spent much time in south Missouri and ever get a chance, I highly recommend it if before you leave them out the south. Cotton fields, Delta, the Ozarks, (basically the same as Appalachia but without the transplants), and more cattle farms per capita than any other state except Texas to boot. The southern half of that state is for sure very much a part of the south IMO. Lets just say there's not a lot that resembles Michigan, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas or Illinois.

As far as Little Rock goes, its a tough one between Dallas & Atlanta. It honestly feels like a smaller, cleaner, and more scenic version of Memphis to me.
I know what you're saying for sure, but the assumption that the eastern half of the South is full of transplants is way too exaggerated. I know that you disagree, but it's kind of ridiculous. In North Carolina, many people don't view Arkansas as a southern state, and I'm sure some will even go as far to call it the lower Midwest or something along those lines. Not saying I agree, but it's true. Many people in this "half of the South" feel like they're the "true South" and that states like Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Texas shouldn't be included.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:19 AM

62 posts, read 112,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I know what you're saying for sure, but the assumption that the eastern half of the South is full of transplants is way too exaggerated. I know that you disagree, but it's kind of ridiculous. In North Carolina, many people don't view Arkansas as a southern state, and I'm sure some will even go as far to call it the lower Midwest or something along those lines. Not saying I agree, but it's true. Many people in this "half of the South" feel like they're the "true South" and that states like Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Texas shouldn't be included.

I totally agree with you about the transplants on the coastal side being exaggerated, I was just trying to shed some light on what their view point is. I think both sides of the south have different opinions of each because they just haven't spent much time around one another to understand that there are A LOT more similarities than differences within the different sub-cultures. It's all the south. Best region in this country

With that said, I can say with full confidence that Arkansas doesn't resemble the lower Midwest AT ALL. Parts of AR go further south than every southern state out there except Louisiana and obviously Florida, it's northern border sits lower than Tennessee's, transplants outside the south are almost non existent except for a very small pocket in the northwest corner, and the Battle of Pea Ridge gives Gettysburg a run for it's money.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbythegraceofgod View Post
I totally agree with you about the transplants on the coastal side being exaggerated, I was just trying to shed some light on what their view point is. I think both sides of the south have different opinions of each because they just haven't spent much time around one another to understand that there are A LOT more similarities than differences within the different sub-cultures. It's all the south. Best region in this country

With that said, I can say with full confidence that Arkansas doesn't resemble the lower Midwest AT ALL. Parts of AR go further south than every southern state out there except Louisiana and obviously Florida, it's northern border sits lower than Tennessee's, transplants outside the south are almost non existent except for a very small pocket in the northwest corner, and the Battle of Pea Ridge gives Gettysburg a run for it's money.
Oh, I'm sure. And I'm also sure most people in North Carolina have never been to Arkansas, or Oklahoma and Missouri. You're right, people shouldn't really judge if they haven't spent much time in a particular region. One perfect example is the Deep South people who don't consider North Carolina to be southern anymore because they hear it's all Yankee saturated and liberal. Go anywhere outside the heart of the Research Triangle or Charlotte and that's not the case AT ALL.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
It's not like Dallas or Atlanta. Little Rock is too small to be like those cities.
Just because it's much smaller doesn't mean that it has absolutely nothing in common with the other two cities. Some of y'all are really making this question far more complicated than it is.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM

2,858 posts, read 4,612,891 times
Dallas and Atlanta are more similar than Little Rock is to either city.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:59 AM

It's hard for me to compare Dallas/Ft. Worth to other cities/metros. I don't see any similarities between Dallas and Atlanta, but Atlanta came to mind the first time I visited Austin. Maybe Oklahoma City is the most similar to Dallas. For Little Rock, possibly Memphis, Tulsa, and Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.