Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 33 45.21%
Dallas 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Ft. Worth is kinda similar to OKC, though.
Being currently stuck in OKC and taking biweekly trips to the Metroplex just to keep my sanity, I am going to say that OKC is more similar to Amarillo or Lubbock than it is any of the major Texas cities. It does offer a bit more but the overall style and culture of the city has a lot in common with rural Texas but not much with the urban areas. Fort Worth does have some of that country flair but it still has an urbanity and vibrancy that doesn't exist in OKC. It is a different world from Dallas. However, it is connected though because people who live in OKC take frequent trips into Dallas to shopping, culture, nightlife, etc. Dallas to OKC is what Memphis is to Little Rock. Because of this, I can easily see the OKC-Dallas connection despite the differences.

People from Little Rock don't usually go to Dallas that often. If you wanted to divide this country up into spheres of influence, You could include OKC and Tulsa in the Texas triangle. Little Rock would be grouped with Memphis and Jackson MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
My goodness people, just answer the OP's question! Nowhere in the OP was it presented was Little Rock more like Memphis, Shreveport, OKC or Paris, FR. The choices were ATLANTA or DALLAS.

I commented that LR has more likeness to Dallas than Atlanta (eventhough it's nothing like either), and stick by that assessment.
But it can't be more like one or the other if it's nothing like either one. What's so hard to understand about that?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 AM

183 posts, read 249,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
But it can't be more like one or the other if it's nothing like either one. What's so hard to understand about that?
Says you. It's already been noted that Little Rock has more business and in-migration connections with Dallas than Atlanta. Geographically, LR is also much closer to Dallas. Cultural traits & likenesses are more similar to Dallas & the NorthTexas region than Atlanta & North Georgia.

What's so hard for you to understand?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Says you. It's already been noted that Little Rock has more business and in-migration connections with Dallas than Atlanta. Geographically, LR is also much closer to Dallas. Cultural traits & likenesses are more similar to Dallas & the NorthTexas region than Atlanta & North Georgia.

What's so hard for you to understand?
While I can agree with you that businesses and immigration from Little Rock favors Dallas over Atlanta, why would you say the same about cultural traits? The culture of Dallas and Little Rock are very, very different. Little Rock's culture is somewhat in tune with RURAL Georgia, though less so than Mississippi and West Tennesseee. Atlanta is a different world because its a major city and one of the big 4 cultural centers in the South.

I actually lived in Little Rock and now visit Dallas at least two weekends per month. I can attest that the two places are absolutely nothing alike. Little Rock is as different from Dallas as it is from St. Louis.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Says you.
No. Says multiple people in this thread who are from the area and who have spent significant time there. What's so hard for you to understand about that? You're trying to make something be true that's not.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 03-17-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
No. Says multiple people in this thread who are from the area. What's so hard for you to understand about that? You're trying to make something be true that's not.
The OP's question regards what city do you think Little Rock is more like. Either/or. It's not a difficult question and it's not referring to Little Rock being a mini version of either city. I believe LR has more likenesses and connections to Dallas. Based on that, I voted and commented accordingly.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The OP's question regards what city do you think Little Rock is more like. Either/or. It's not a difficult question and it's not referring to Little Rock being a mini version of either city. I believe LR has more likenesses and connections to Dallas. Based on that, I voted and commented accordingly.
The OP should have included a "neither" option; it would have won overwhelmingly and showed him and everybody who is arguing for Dallas or Atlanta just how silly and nonsensical the poll and comparison really are.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
The OP should have included a "neither" option; it would have won overwhelmingly and showed him and everybody who is arguing for Dallas or Atlanta just how silly and nonsensical the poll and comparison really are.
You and another Texan poster seem to be two of the most wound up over this thread by making snarky comments at others opinions and ridiculing why the thread was created. If it's so frustrating, why participate? In my short time on C-D, I've seen threads with more awkward comparisons than in this one. At least the topic deals with three southern cities.

Who are you to decide what and how someone should post.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You and another Texan poster seem to be two of the most wound up over this thread by making snarky comments at others opinions and ridiculing why the thread was created. If it's so frustrating, why participate? In my short time on C-D, I've seen threads with more awkward comparisons than in this one. At least the topic deals with three southern cities.

Who are you to decide what and how someone should post.
If you say so. All I'm saying is the comparison makes no sense at all and the evidence you and a couple others keep bringing up is false, or extremely flimsy at best. I think you're just mad because I quoted you and I disagree with you, and no matter how far you reach, you still can't make the falsehoods you keep repeating true. I am originally from the Mid-South (which Little Rock is a part of), live in Dallas, and spend plenty of time in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I know what I am talking about on this subject. If you choose not to listen and keep on banging your head against a brick wall, then that's on YOU. Not me, or anybody else.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
If you say so. All I'm saying is the comparison makes no sense at all and the evidence you and a couple others keep bringing up is false, or extremely flimsy at best. I think you're just mad because I quoted you and I disagree with you, and no matter how far you reach, you still can't make the falsehoods you keep repeating true. I am originally from the Mid-South (which Little Rock is a part of), live in Dallas, and spend plenty of time in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I know what I am talking about on this subject. If you choose not to listen and keep on banging your head against a brick wall, then that's on YOU. Not me, or anybody else.
True dat.

I also lived in Arkansas (and my family is from there) and have spent a lot of time in Little Rock over the years. I lived an hour outside of Atlanta for ten years and spent tons of time in Atlanta and now I have lived nearly twenty years about an hour outside of Dallas.

Like you, I'm pretty clear on the similarities AND differences of all three cities, which is why I will continue to assert that Little Rock is so unlike either Dallas OR Atlanta that the question is really quite ridiculous.

Heck, Dallas and Atlanta are more alike that Little Rock is like either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.