U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:10 PM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Check out the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area of SC. Lots of manufacturing and distribution facilities in the area, including a massive BMW plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
This is what the Midwest is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Go to your favorite map software of choice, and look at the names of the towns along Ohio State Route 65. For whatever reason, many plants have been built along them recently, but because outside of Lima, it's pretty much farmland, they are having problems finding enough people to work at the plants and sometimes have to bus in Mexicans temporarily to fulfill peak production. You can help assemble motorcycles, make dog food, refine ethanol, process aluminum or steel, or smash soybeans into a solution that gets sent to Japan to make tofu. Also the towns between Lima and Fort Wayne, and around Grand Lake St. Marys are having the same issues. Also, if you have the chance to get an associate's degree, there are a few different community colleges and two-year branch campuses of four-year colleges in northwest Ohio and northeastern Indiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Yeah I agree the midwest sounds like the region for you. Have you maybe thought about the Dakota's?

Good luck to you and your son! I admire you looking out for your kids.
Thank you all so so so much for your kind advice! I'm really sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier, but honestly I had put my laptop in Pawn so that I could buy Christmas presents. I actually called a search firm for industrial jobs and they found me a position in Michigan at a warehouse as an Assistant Foreman. I spoke to people from the company and it sounds legit to me so after the New Year I am driving up that way by myself and gonna find a place (there are small homes with 2 beds and bathrooms online in nice areas from what u have read for only $700!!!) and then bring my son up here. So ready to start over!

The job is in a town close to Detroit called Pontiac.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:04 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam76902 View Post
Thank you all so so so much for your kind advice! I'm really sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier, but honestly I had put my laptop in Pawn so that I could buy Christmas presents. I actually called a search firm for industrial jobs and they found me a position in Michigan at a warehouse as an Assistant Foreman. I spoke to people from the company and it sounds legit to me so after the New Year I am driving up that way by myself and gonna find a place (there are small homes with 2 beds and bathrooms online in nice areas from what u have read for only $700!!!) and then bring my son up here. So ready to start over!

Look into surrounding towns as well or even solid, affordable suburbs of Flint. It isn't that far away and your money could go further, perhaps, than surrounding towns in Oakland County. Burton is a community that comes to mind, as well as Davison/Davison Township and Fenton. There are some solid communities closer to Detroit in Oakland County that may work as well. Royal Oak, Clawson, Berkley or Oak Park(within the Berkley SD) come to mind.

There are also more rural/quaint village communities in northern Oakland County like Holly, Oxford, Lake Orion and Clarkston as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM

3,955 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam76902 View Post

This doesn't surprise me, Michigan's unemployment rate for both skilled and unskilled workers has plummeted. The west side of the state is sitting at 4% unemployment, and the east side shows higher but there are still help wanted signs and ads everywhere.

Look in Pontiac for housing first. It's an older city with an actual urban core even though it's technically a Detroit suburb. They've been working on revitalizing the city, just do your research because there are bad and good neighborhoods. But it's definitely becoming more trendy.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,856,489 times
God, I feel for you. Raising a kid is tough, especially as a single parent. Wherever you go, childcare will be the biggest cost. Can your mother go with you for a while to provide that?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,509,280 times
My area is Industrial Engineering and contrary to popular belief, manufacturing will be returning to the USA due to several reasons which I do not want to get into right now.

I look at lots of industry trends, and although some of manufacturing is shifting South, TN, SC and AL are some states that have gained a lot of manufacturing plants, if I had to choose the best 4 states with plenty of employment opportunities in manufacturing: MI, IL, IN and OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or