U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times

Advertisements

It's all about what works for the individual. I have a friend who was born and raised in Portland, OR. After being laid off work time and time again she opted to move to Vegas for a great job. After a few years her work placed folded and she was laid off there. She came back to Portland but after a year realized she actually missed Vegas a lot.

She decided she would rather be unemployed in Las Vegas than Portland. Her preference. She just liked it better there. So she went back and has been living in Vegas for six years now where is is happily employed and loving her city.

Not everyone's idea of a good choice? Well she would tell you too bad, it worked for her. She doesn't bash Portland, she just prefers her adopted city. It's okay to say you don't like something about a city but there is always going to be something about it someone else will like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 505 times
I saw that you wrote about how you have (had, hopefully) a fear of eating because you were petrified of choking on your food. I am 36 years old, and have had the same EXACT problem as you for the last 15 or so years of my life. It's not that I can't eat, or ever choked for that matter, but it takes me at least an hour every meal to get down enough food to feel somewhat satisfied because I think I will choke and can't swallow properly. I make a lot of shakes in the Magic Bullet blender of bananas, berries, peanut butter, and spinach or kale and milk and that seems to fill my belly, but I too want to beat this debilitating problem. It's been ruining my life too. Did you ever get past it? If so, how did you do it?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 PM

53 posts, read 72,419 times
Welcome to my world, op

Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 PM

1,239 posts, read 978,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I've been hanging around on this forum for a while and while its often great for getting information on cities, the city bashing drives me insane!

Most people here obviously favor the big cities: Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland, etc and that's fine. You like what you like. But it's really stupid that people associate conservative with being backwards rednecks, or bashing cities that aren't "cultured" enough because those cities don't have enough ethnic cuisine or a hundred art museums.

Have you ever thought not everyone wants those things? Like me for example. I am a young adult but I have no desire to visit art galleries or night clubs. But I don't complain about cities that have those things.

I mean I like zoos, shopping, restaurants, sports and beaches. I'm not boring, I just have a different idea of fun. For example, I was looking at states like South Carolina and Arkansas because I'm interesting in moving to a warmer, more southern state. I was shocked at what I saw about some cities in those states.

Little Rock was called a boring backwards hillbilly town and the people who live there consider a Willie Nelson concert culture. Oh gosh, they like something other than art museums, coffee and Indian food! Quick, call them uneducated rednecks because they don't have the same interests as you!

Charleston had a few supporters but most bashed it because according to them, Charlotte and really North Carolina as a whole had more cities. To them bigger = better. Well not everyone is interested living in crowded, noisy cities with a million people and a bunch of traffic.

I've never been to Arkansas but after reading about it, it sounds pretty cool. I like the whole "floating on the river on a nice summer day" thing. And interested in the hot springs and mountains. I've been in Myrtle Beach in South Carolina, not Charleston, but I love the awesome coastal city/beach scene. Also interested in Louisville/Lexington but even those are outshined by Nashville because Nashville has more, more, more.

I'm just saying don't look down upon those people who don't want "more, more, more". Don't look upon those people who are perfectly content spending the day at the river, at a horse race, a country/rock concert, or canoeing and would rather do those things than go to a international ballet show or something like that.
The type of person this website mainly appeals to is the urban elitist. Liberal, weak, 2nd tier college graduate who loves sushi, diversity and Obama. They're smarter than you and me but they earn an average salary and drive Subarus.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM

706 posts, read 514,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Most people here obviously favor the big cities: Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland, etc and that's fine. You like what you like. But it's really stupid that people associate conservative with being backwards rednecks, or bashing cities that aren't "cultured" enough because those cities don't have enough ethnic cuisine or a hundred art museums.
I'm not bashing anyone or anywhere but one of those things is not like the others.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,924,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The type of person this website mainly appeals to is the urban elitist. Liberal, weak, 2nd tier college graduate who loves sushi, diversity and Obama. They're smarter than you and me but they earn an average salary and drive Subarus.
I love that response man, that was the impression I have of most of the CD posters here. Kudos to you for saying it fist man. You are the real MVP.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,448,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love that response man, that was the impression I have of most of the CD posters here. Kudos to you for saying it fist man. You are the real MVP.
I think that's actually fairly true of most Internet message boards. I think pretty much the only major message boards where the playing field is fairly level are sports-related as it brings a more diverse crowd than say, a something involving sci-fi/fantasy or deer hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or