Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 11,142 times

Advertisements

I will keep this short, but I want a Southern metro area job center with an MSA over 1.5 million. Somewhere that has grown in size and economy but is still discernibly southern. Basically, I'm a more conservative person and the south is my best bet of living in a large area with jobs and things to do, yet still not being surrounded by liberalism.

I'm referencing specifically the big cities in Texas (DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) plus Atlanta and maybe Charlotte and the Reaearch triangle. I would like to live in a close in suburb, not the city! Somewhere that could be described as "conservative", a "good ol' boy club", etc. is much preferred to somewhere trendy/hip, "cosmopolitan" or "international". Somewhere where more people have what a Northeasterner like me would classify a southern accent. Where right of center views are the norm and if someone was open-carrying a firearm in a suburb, people wouldn't gasp/clutch their pearls/call the sheriff because they have seen it before and probably have guns at home.

If not the southern U.S., what large job centers in this country still retain the conservatism that one associates with a place like Texas. Remember jobs are important, or else I would be living in a small town. But as a single person who recently finished my BS in Engineering, being in a large metro area suburb with access to a downtown is quite important.

I have considered Jackson, Nashville and Birmingham, but they aren't large enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 33,398 times
Fort Worth is probably right up your alley. What kind of engineering? My civil engineering firm has an office over there and there are some other large ones.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
I'm not sure what you're getting at 1.5 million MSA that you don't get at 1.1 million. That being said, take a look again at Birmingham. There are suburbs to your liking that wrap around the southern side of the city proper where you'll find that old South, conservative vibe you're looking for. If you need a dose of super bright lights (or IKEA), Atlanta is only two hours away.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
The Triad region of North Carolina (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) might be up your alley. However, I believe it's more purple than hardcore red.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
This thread reeks of troll

Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Oops. Missed the "open carry in a suburb" qualification. I don't follow the open carry laws, but I'd say this isn't a common sight in Birmingham.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This thread reeks of troll
Why is that? Because I wish to live my life differently than you? Because I value different things? Because you don't share my views or preferences! Oh yes, such a tolerant liberal way of thinking!

As said, I don't wish to go some place and change it, however I would like to find a community that shares my values...is that so bad?

Apparently others think like me because my views are not particularly uncommon. We are entitled to live somewhere in this country. Not everyone is into the cosmopolitan urbanism kum-ba-ya diversity thing. Sorry.

Are you really so smug to think that anyone who disagrees with you is a 'troll'?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Oops. Missed the "open carry in a suburb" qualification. I don't follow the open carry laws, but I'd say this isn't a common sight in Birmingham.
I did not say I would be open-carrying everyday or at all, what I meant was that I would like to live somewhere that is gun friendly and where people don't automatically assume gun = criminal.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at 1.5 million MSA that you don't get at 1.1 million. That being said, take a look again at Birmingham. There are suburbs to your liking that wrap around the southern side of the city proper where you'll find that old South, conservative vibe you're looking for. If you need a dose of super bright lights (or IKEA), Atlanta is only two hours away.
The thing with Birmingham is that the actual city (city limits) is almost 100% a no-go zone and very dangerous. It isn't somewhere I would feel comfortable going out in (I am young and do occasionally like to partake in nightlife) and no, that isn't because of race, that's because of crime.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The thing with Birmingham is that the actual city (city limits) is almost 100% a no-go zone and very dangerous. It isn't somewhere I would feel comfortable going out in (I am young and do occasionally like to partake in nightlife) and no, that isn't because of race, that's because of crime. I don't even know if I would be comfortable walking from the office to the car if I was working late, the stats are very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.