U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,414,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes, I know that. But largely, the Midwest is open fields.
Nah, Wisconsin and Michigan are half forested. Michigan is a higher percentage than New York, or Kentucky, or Jersey or Louisiana or Washington/Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM

11,149 posts, read 14,178,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Nah, Wisconsin and Michigan are half forested. Michigan is a higher percentage than New York, or Kentucky, or Jersey or Louisiana or Washington/Oregon.
Yes, but the OP needs a place that's forested AND has a good economy. Michigan doesn't have a good economy, and Wisconsin's isn't all that great either, except for Madison.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM

56,961 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Yes, but the OP needs a place that's forested AND has a good economy. Michigan doesn't have a good economy, and Wisconsin's isn't all that great either, except for Madison.
Actually, while not outstanding, I believe that some Michigan areas have improved in terms of their economies recently. Grand Rapids is probably the best of the bunch.

Also, it is important for the OP to look into the prospective area in terms of industries that fit their skill set and if it is an industry or industries that are doing well in those areas.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,206,561 times
Quote:
The OP said he likes forest scenery, which pretty much rules out Midwestern cities.
Quote:
Pretty much all Midwestern cities are forested themselves. Take a look at any faraway skyline shot of any Midwestern city and it will look like a skyline poking out of a forest. There aren't really any major Midwestern cities that are located smack dab in the middle of the windswept prairie.

Quote:
Wisconsin's economy is doing very, very well in comparison to most of the country, despite Gov. Walker's poisonous influence.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:00 AM

146 posts, read 182,571 times
Quote:
Yes, this has been a limiting factor for our search. Around Columbus and westward, the landscape becomes more dominated by farmland instead of forest, which isn't something I want. So cities like Columbus and Indianapolis probably won't work.

Madison scores very high marks and seems like it's a great place, but the area surrounding it is mostly farmland (except when you go northwest). I love the trees and forest to much. I love that feeling of being nestled by the trees. Because of that, I have my doubts about Madison vs. a forested city like, say, Rochester.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 AM

56,961 posts, read 81,305,553 times
So, would something like this fit?: 2380 Case Hill Rd, Otisco, NY 13084

Or this down the road: 2706 Case Hill Rd, Otisco, NY 13084

This is just to get an idea of what you are looking for?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-24-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, would something like this fit?: 2380 Case Hill Rd, Otisco, NY 13084

This is just to get an idea of what you are looking for?
More or less, yeah. We would want a newer house, and would want to have a good amount of forest on the property itself, but in terms of finding a city, greater Syracuse might work because of its lakes and forests (and wegmans, lol), which are really big deals. As long as the area isn't economically depressed, ugly, polluted, it may be a viable option.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 AM

11,149 posts, read 14,178,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
More or less, yeah. We would want a newer house, and would want to have a good amount of forest on the property itself, but in terms of finding a city, greater Syracuse might work because of its lakes and forests (and wegmans, lol), which are really big deals. As long as the area isn't economically depressed, ugly, polluted, it may be a viable option.
I highly doubt you'll find a job in Syracuse.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt you'll find a job in Syracuse.

I don't need a job, I just want to live in a place that isn't economically depressed. I work from home.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM

3,981 posts, read 3,519,276 times
Quote:
Not all of the midwest by a large margin. Often overlooked but would fit perfectly is Grand Rapids, 4.2% unemployment, strong population growth. Billions of dollars in new investments over the last 10 years and still going strong. It fits all of the OP's criteria. Full of natural beauty, hills and forests and of course the hundreds of miles of lakeshore. It's been mentioned, I'd add it to the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or