U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,093,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
You must use the word stunning, very loosely then. I lived in the Adirondacks and it was a snore fest. Tropical flora and fauna is a lot more stunning.
It is also possible to grow citrus bearing trees in Florida. That is a huge bonus over New York as good citrus can be unavailable in the northeast during certain months of the year. Imported fruit never comes close to beating freshly picked fruit in terms of quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 04:10 PM

I could see either Georgia and/or North Carolina eventually making it further up the rankings to reach the #5 slot. It may take another decade or so but it is definitely possible. The current holders of the #5 through #7 slots are not known for being tremendous job creators and I forecast them to decline due to the aging of the baby boomers.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:53 PM

251 posts, read 237,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqconvict View Post
actually the worst thing about upstate ny is not the weather or the lack of jobs, but the sad sacks who just won't stop whining about it and get the f out, already.

fify

Old 12-25-2014, 10:53 PM

12,644 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Why so much hate? Not everyone has to like Florida. Not everyone has to like New York, or California, or Texas. Not everyone has to like hot weather (or cold weather) or warm weather on Christmas (it's not the typical commercialized idea of Christmas anyway - uphill battle for those arguing for loving it - but of course you can love it anyway). The defensiveness is annoying.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 12-25-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 02:07 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
While Florida being reliant on tourism and the service industry may be viewed as a negative, tourism seems to be a very stable and constant industry. People just don't stop visiting Disney World. The OP is a northerner. So it isn't necessarily Floridians bragging about population growth in this thread(most native Floridians hate transplants); really this thread is comprised of non-Floridians trying their hardest to figure out why millions of people flocked to a place they wouldn't want to live. Why does it matter to you folks anyway? Go play in the snow....

Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is also possible to grow citrus bearing trees in Florida. That is a huge bonus over New York as good citrus can be unavailable in the northeast during certain months of the year. Imported fruit never comes close to beating freshly picked fruit in terms of quality.
You mean versus good apples, grapes, pears and vegetables that NY produces? I think many would enjoy a nice fall day to go to an orchard like this and enjoy the view of the hills/valleys as well: Beak & Skiff Apple Orchard

Old 12-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You mean versus good apples, grapes, pears and vegetables that NY produces?
Those items can be grown in many areas but citrus is restricted to very warm climates and provides high amounts of vitamin C which is critical to prevent ailments such as scurvy. People forget about things like scurvy due our capitalist, consumer driven culture where everything is available in stores, but if the unthinkable was to ever happen, I would be on my way to an environment that can sustain citrus and other plants that provide vitamin C.

"Scurvy often presents itself initially as symptoms of malaise and lethargy, followed by formation of spots on the skin, spongy gums, and bleeding from the mucous membranes. Spots are most abundant on the thighs and legs, and a person with the ailment looks pale, feels depressed, and is partially immobilized. As scurvy advances, there can be open, suppurating wounds, loss of teeth, jaundice, fever, neuropathy and death."
Scurvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scurvy sounds nastier than Ebola.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I love how white people matter more than other people, according to some people in this thread. I've probably paid more in taxes than most people who complain about **** like that. I guess my money is still good, right?
Nothing to sweat over. Those posts are probably written by angry white people who like to blame non-white groups for their problems (i.e. not getting a good job, losing a job, etc.).

"Asians are the new Jews." Except it's been like that for a while, in California at least.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Those items can be grown in many areas but citrus is restricted to very warm climates and provides high amounts of vitamin C which is critical to prevent ailments such as scurvy. People forget about things like scurvy due our capitalist, consumer driven culture where everything is available in stores, but if the unthinkable was to ever happen, I would be on my way to an environment that can sustain citrus and other plants that provide vitamin C.

"Scurvy often presents itself initially as symptoms of malaise and lethargy, followed by formation of spots on the skin, spongy gums, and bleeding from the mucous membranes. Spots are most abundant on the thighs and legs, and a person with the ailment looks pale, feels depressed, and is partially immobilized. As scurvy advances, there can be open, suppurating wounds, loss of teeth, jaundice, fever, neuropathy and death."
Scurvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scurvy sounds nastier than Ebola.
Actually, citrus fruits can and are grown in multiple states as well. Other fruits have health benefits too. So, those things aren't necessarily unique.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:10 AM

4,229 posts, read 5,692,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What happens when all those baby boomer retirees die? Attracting old retirees to your state is not really a long term plan for sustained growth.
A great part of Florida's economy has been based on Fred and Ethel moving here with Fred's nice defined pension. Well, the Unions have been decimated, defined pensions are rarer than hens teeth and more and more employers nation wide offer absolutely no retirement plan.

I think people are still going to flock to Florida (for awhile, at least), but I think the days of middle class older people coming here and living "The Florida Lifestyle" will peter out. There's going to be the wealthy and all the others who'll have to work at some low paid service job until they die. I've met many, many people well past retirement age who fit into the latter category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or