U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Reputation: 4594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
New York's economic output consists of hedge fund managers and other "investment professionals" skimming money from real, value-added economic activity.
I'm not sure what your argument here is. Do you think the New York's economic output is overinflated due to its reliance on finance? Florida's per capita GDP is well below the majority of states in the U.S., not just New York's. FL's overall GDP is much closer to IL's and PA's despite FL having well over 6 million more people than either. And despite having, what, a few hundred thousand more people, FL lags the GDP of NY by hundreds of billions of USD. I just don't think there's much to reveling in having a higher population if you are punching well below your weight in per capita measurement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,630,670 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not sure what your argument here is. Do you think the New York's economic output is overinflated due to its reliance on finance? Florida's per capita GDP is well below the majority of states in the U.S., not just New York's. FL's overall GDP is much closer to IL's and PA's despite FL having well over 6 million more people than either. And despite having, what, a few hundred thousand more people, FL lags the GDP of NY by hundreds of billions of USD. I just don't think there's much to reveling in having a higher population if you are punching well below your weight in per capita measurement.
1/3 of FL's population is retirees, if not more.. retirees live on a fixed income, they don't make as much as actively employed people. That's why's FL's economic output is about the same with some less populated states. Same with the per capita figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
1/3 of FL's population is retirees, if not more.. retirees live on a fixed income, they don't make as much as actively employed people. That's why's FL's economic output is about the same with some less populated states. Same with the per capita figures.
Right. So then why is it something particularly noteworthy if FL's population surpasses NY's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:12 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,094,692 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not sure what your argument here is. Do you think the New York's economic output is overinflated due to its reliance on finance? Florida's per capita GDP is well below the majority of states in the U.S., not just New York's. FL's overall GDP is much closer to IL's and PA's despite FL having well over 6 million more people than either. And despite having, what, a few hundred thousand more people, FL lags the GDP of NY by hundreds of billions of USD. I just don't think there's much to reveling in having a higher population if you are punching well below your weight in per capita measurement.
I do not consider Wall Street finance to be a value-added economic activity whatsoever. It is a way for non-producers to hoard wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:14 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,094,692 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
So then why is it something particularly noteworthy if FL's population surpasses NY's?
Because ultimately people vote with their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:26 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 1,123,064 times
Reputation: 500
Well it is New Yorkers who move to Florida the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,094,692 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Well it is New Yorkers who move to Florida the most.
Anecdotal evidence makes it appear New Yorkers are moving to the entire southeast at a higher pace than other northeastern states recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
 
104 posts, read 97,779 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
They can afford SoCal. They purchased a condo in San Diego outright for $400K. They have about $1.1 million in cash leftover. The husband received $1.5 million in proceeds from a serious car accident or something when he lived in England. They like SoCal in general, but their main complaints were that it was a rather superficial culture and too brown/dry for them. That's what she told me.

Two years ago I almost moved to San Diego, but was starving for green landscapes within days of being there. Plus, it's ultra expensive.
They didn't like what they deemed the "superficial" culture so they're choosing to move to Florida? Southern Florida is the superficial capital of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
 
56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Because ultimately people vote with their feet.
NY has only lost population in one census. So, it isn't a matter of not growing and other aspects should be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,480,618 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Because ultimately people vote with their feet.
Ironically, the NE Corridor around NY is by far Florida's largest net sender of domestic migration. Without that area, Florida's growth rate would be significantly lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top