Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:05 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,636,075 times

Advertisements

San Diego to Orlando is a downgrade, plain and simple. Orlando is one of the most dangerous, least educated, lowest compensated, least insured, most underemployed, most transient metropolitan areas in the entire country, but you can get a brand new 3,000-sqft. 3-bed/2-bath home in a shiny tract neighborhood for $149,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM

91,954 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Right, but there is a reason people are moving to NJ or CT or even PA and working in the city, rather than living there, too. They could live in New York if they wanted to but they chose to not (and in this area, there are many reasons - mostly financial - for moving). It's not as if the fact that the NY metro stretches into nearby states affects population of NY that much IMO. There's always room. NJ is the densest state and they still keep building and building, and we still have lots of open space in the southern part of the state. It could become even denser and the population can keep growing for its small size. No different in the NYC area of NYS. It just depends on how far people want to commute, and some commute from PA already so clearly some are willing to sacrifice a longer commute!
You are arguing a different point.

My point is that it is a different dynamic that doesn't effect CA, TX and FL in terms of population. NY is still growing, but it is at a slower pace.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:19 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
San Diego to Orlando is a downgrade, plain and simple. Orlando is one of the most dangerous, least educated, lowest compensated, least insured, most underemployed, most transient metropolitan areas in the entire country, but you can get a brand new 3,000-sqft. 3-bed/2-bath home in a shiny tract neighborhood for $149,000.
I wouldn't disagree with you there. I wouldn't want to live in Orlando either. But it's their choice I guess.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:23 AM

251 posts, read 305,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I guess it all just depends what you like.

Personally, I feel like New York has more to offer than Florida. Yes, FL has among the best beaches in the country, but it you've got many lakes to choose from in the summer for water sports in NY.. as well as Long Island.. the Hamptons, etc.

Gorgeous fall foliage in the mountains, particularly around Binghamton in the Catskills. The Adirondacks further upstate are amazing as well.

Also, who could forget Niagara Falls.
I agree but only on the basis of excluding Upstate. The only good things about Upstate are the Adirondacks and the Italian food which rivals NYC. Otherwise no. The weather, taxes, people and lack of jobs are big negatives.

It snows for 6 months (literally every day. You'll see sun three times a month if that on top of 10-20 degree temperatures), is rainy for 3 (1.5 for Spring, 1.5 for Fall), and then you have three months of great weather in Summer (if you're lucky, because this past summer was awful, it just stormed and was quite cooler than usual).

Spring and Fall are becoming shorter and shorter and often just goes from 30s to 70s in the same month or 70s to 30s.

The past calendar year Utica received only 37% annual sunshine. Which for comparison is among the worst in even Washington and lesser than Seattle.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
I agree but only on the basis of excluding Upstate. The only good things about Upstate are the Adirondacks and the Italian food which rivals NYC. Otherwise no. The weather, taxes, people and lack of jobs are big negatives.

It snows for 6 months (literally every day. You'll see sun three times a month if that on top of 10-20 degree temperatures), is rainy for 3 (1.5 for Spring, 1.5 for Fall), and then you have three months of great weather in Summer (if you're lucky, because this past summer was awful, it just stormed and was quite cooler than usual).
See...in my opinion, the only part of NY that I like is upstate or anywhere other than the NYC area. Although, admittedly, the jobs situation is bleak (other than Albany). I'm an accountant and have looked into moving to Buffalo or Rochester. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are plenty of accounting positions in those areas, BUT almost all of them are currently filled. There are very few job openings, but plenty of jobs existing. I think many people in WNY are simply complacent and just hanging onto their current jobs, for the most part.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 AM

91,954 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Downstate NY is not really the problem. The problem is upstate. When was the last time upstate had positive population growth as a region?
Even last census, downstate NY grew by more people than the whole state of NY...

On the other hand I wouldn't be opposed to expanding parks in upstate and returning more areas to nature. Adirondack park is already the biggest park in the country (bigger than Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon combined), we should expand that.
Upstate NY is essentially a state in its own right and growth/decline in terms of population varies. Ironically, Saratoga County has been the fastest growing county in the state. Here is an interesting list: Growth of New York counties | rocdocs

Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM

I'd include Saratoga for Upstate in addition to italian food and the Adirondacks as the only positives.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Quote:

It's official: Florida passes New York in population.

One more reason for me to stay away from Florida. The traffic and congestion was awful when it was BEHIND New York in population.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

On the other hand I wouldn't be opposed to expanding parks in upstate and returning more areas to nature. Adirondack park is already the biggest park in the country (bigger than Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon combined), we should expand that.

Very true. It's only a state park as well. Not even national.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What happens when all those baby boomer retirees die?
Same thing that's happening to Pennsylvania right now, but more extreme. Pennsylvania has a glut of "Silent Generation" residents, and they're in the middle of a die-off right now. The "Baby Boomers" are an even larger generation, so if Florida has a glut of them, then the die-off in the 2020s and 2030s will become a major drag on Florida's population growth. And while Florida's birth rate is higher than Pennsylvania's, it's still below the national rate, so it might not be able to keep up. In other words, Florida will probably exhibit natural population decline that's offset only by foreign immigration and a slower influx of retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.