U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2014, 07:38 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,313,860 times
Reputation: 7993

Advertisements

As much as people like to bash on FL, there are plenty of worse places to live.
I've been able to make a very nice and comfortable life for myself in FL.
Good job, nice home, nice neighbors, good schools, have a nice boat, I couldn't really ask for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,421 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Reputation: 10539
I honestly do not understand the appeal of Florida. This is just me personally, but the big minuses.

1. Horrible weather except during the winter. When I was a kid, I liked the heat, but once I turned 20 or so something changed in terms of my body chemistry, and I started sweating profusely any time the temperature rose above 80 or so. I'm not talking like some pit sweat, I'm talking about profuse sweat first dripping down my scalp, and then eventually soaking my entire shirt. It feels as disgusting as it looks, and thus I find heat much, much more unpleasant than being cold, since you warm up very quickly upon getting indoors, but it can take half the day to wait for your clothing to dry out if you get sweaty.

2. Nearly everything in Florida is bland, characterless suburbia. Saint Augustine and Key West are the only two places I really felt like they had any real sense of place. And while they are walkable, they are more quaint and touristy than urban. If Florida had one real "classic" Southern city like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, or even something like Richmond I'd find it more compelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,580,212 times
Reputation: 8290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Florida Passes New York to Become Nation's Third Most Populous State

It's official. Florida now has 19.9 million people living there, while New York has 19.7 million. This makes Florida the 3rd most populous state in the nation, after California and Texas. The main reason is because of numerous baby boomer retirees moving from NY to FL. The article even states that about 800 people move to Florida each DAY!

Personally, I would rather live in New York (other than the NYC metro area) for its far superior beauty, four seasons, educated populace and lack of sprawl, traffic and tourists galore.
Well young man, wait until you are about 60 and your bones start aching when the temperature goes below 40 and you start wanting more peace and quiet than all the noise of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Well young man, wait until you are about 60 and your bones start aching when the temperature goes below 40 and you start wanting more peace and quiet than all the noise of the city.
That's stupid. My grandparents are 80 years old and live here in CT and experience no problems with the cold. They stay indoors most of the time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Tampa
734 posts, read 732,614 times
Reputation: 759
I must be the only Florida resident who thinks this is a bad thing. I don't want more people down here. Hardly a badge of honor. We already have enough miserly NY transplants. Go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 07:43 AM
 
Location: South Florida
568 posts, read 662,769 times
Reputation: 723
agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,010 posts, read 31,391,658 times
Reputation: 13808
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I must be the only Florida resident who thinks this is a bad thing. I don't want more people down here. Hardly a badge of honor. We already have enough miserly NY transplants. Go back home.
I agree. I'd actually like to see the population go down, and some of Florida's forested areas restored. It's a shame all of the environmental destruction that has taken place lately, especially in the central part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,103 posts, read 13,491,061 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I honestly do not understand the appeal of Florida. This is just me personally, but the big minuses.

1. Horrible weather except during the winter. When I was a kid, I liked the heat, but once I turned 20 or so something changed in terms of my body chemistry, and I started sweating profusely any time the temperature rose above 80 or so. I'm not talking like some pit sweat, I'm talking about profuse sweat first dripping down my scalp, and then eventually soaking my entire shirt. It feels as disgusting as it looks, and thus I find heat much, much more unpleasant than being cold, since you warm up very quickly upon getting indoors, but it can take half the day to wait for your clothing to dry out if you get sweaty.

2. Nearly everything in Florida is bland, characterless suburbia. Saint Augustine and Key West are the only two places I really felt like they had any real sense of place. And while they are walkable, they are more quaint and touristy than urban. If Florida had one real "classic" Southern city like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, or even something like Richmond I'd find it more compelling.
I lived in the Ft. Myers area. Soulless sprawl for as far as the eye could see. The only real natural beauty was right near the coast, and those places seemed to be pretty few and far between, and growing fewer by the day with the pace of construction of more sprawl. There didn't appear to be any thought put into any of the development.

Oh, and the bugs were awful. The ants were EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal either. I have family there and they think it's paradise, but I couldn't wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,313,168 times
Reputation: 5400
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. I'd actually like to see the population go down, and some of Florida's forested areas restored. It's a shame all of the environmental destruction that has taken place lately, especially in the central part of the state.

It is only going to get worse. You can't have this kind of population growth without major problems and environmental destruction. But all that seems to matter is population growth. I much prefer stable growth or even gradual decline to restore forested areas here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,196,282 times
Reputation: 1179
I love how white people matter more than other people, according to some people in this thread. I've probably paid more in taxes than most people who complain about **** like that. I guess my money is still good, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top