U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
Reputation: 7075

Advertisements

Florida Passes New York to Become Nation's Third Most Populous State

It's official. Florida now has 19.9 million people living there, while New York has 19.7 million. This makes Florida the 3rd most populous state in the nation, after California and Texas. The main reason is because of numerous baby boomer retirees moving from NY to FL. The article even states that about 800 people move to Florida each DAY!

Personally, I would rather live in New York (other than the NYC metro area) for its far superior beauty, four seasons, educated populace and lack of sprawl, traffic and tourists galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2014, 08:53 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,568,220 times
Reputation: 1200
California, Texas, and Florida will be the top three for a long time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 PM
 
251 posts, read 237,527 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Personally, I would rather live in New York (other than the NYC metro area) for its far superior beauty, four seasons, educated populace and lack of sprawl, traffic and tourists galore.

As someone from Upstate NY, you can have it.

Four seasons? You mean two. Snow, cold and dark for six months then rain and heat for the other six.

No thanks. Out of 12 possible months to enjoy, you're really left with three at most.

Educated populace is leaving due to brain drain, and theres also no jobs.

If this is your kinda thing, have at it. I'm counting down the days til I leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
As someone from Upstate NY, you can have it.

Four seasons? You mean two. Snow, cold and dark for six months then rain and heat for the other six.

No thanks. Out of 12 possible months to enjoy, you're really left with three at most.

Educated populace is leaving due to brain drain, and theres also no jobs.

If this is your kinda thing, have at it. I'm counting down the days til I leave.
Well, the scenery of NY is far superior to that of FL. FL is flat and full of shrubbery, weeds and swamps. NY has some beautiful mountains, flora, lakes and amazing summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,767 posts, read 10,859,665 times
Reputation: 16640
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the scenery of NY is far superior to that of FL. FL is flat and full of shrubbery, weeds and swamps. NY has some beautiful mountains, flora, lakes and amazing summers.
Did you happen to notice those 'ugly old' Florida beaches, ocean, palm trees, birds, wildlife, gulf, waterways, flora and warm winters? ... or were you too busy looking at the bushes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,052,557 times
Reputation: 2543
After California, they all blend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,257,261 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
California, Texas, and Florida will be the top three for a long time now.
If Texas weren't so big in area I'm sure Florida would probably overtake it too in the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Reseda (heart of the SFV)
273 posts, read 269,977 times
Reputation: 381
Arizona will be passing up Massachusetts in the next year or two as well. The Northeastern states are falling like dominos to the more desirable sun belt states in population. With the lower population rankings come less prestige and political power which is more sobering news for the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,568,220 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Did you happen to notice those 'ugly old' Florida beaches, ocean, palm trees, birds, wildlife, gulf, waterways, flora and warm winters? ... or were you too busy looking at the bushes?
Didn't you know? Florida is only a humid, mosquito ridden swamp area. . .

People don't want to live or visit here. They much rather have the fall leaves and cold wet snow that encompass the spectacular 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Arizona will be passing up Massachusetts in the next year or two as well. The Northeastern states are falling like dominos to the more desirable sun belt states in population. With the lower population rankings come less prestige and political power which is more sobering news for the Northeast.
It's not just a northeastern thing though. California is losing white population in droves. There are tons of Californian transplants in other states now such as Florida, Arizona, Oregon and Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top