Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Did you happen to notice those 'ugly old' Florida beaches, ocean, palm trees, birds, wildlife, gulf, waterways, flora and warm winters? ... or were you too busy looking at the bushes?
I guess it all just depends what you like.

Personally, I feel like New York has more to offer than Florida. Yes, FL has among the best beaches in the country, but it you've got many lakes to choose from in the summer for water sports in NY.. as well as Long Island.. the Hamptons, etc.

Gorgeous fall foliage in the mountains, particularly around Binghamton in the Catskills. The Adirondacks further upstate are amazing as well.

Also, who could forget Niagara Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Didn't you know? Florida is only a humid, mosquito ridden swamp area. . .

People don't want to live or visit here. They much rather have the fall leaves and cold wet snow that encompass the spectacular 4 seasons.
Well I do love snow and long-term overcast. We just had 5 days over continuous cloud-cover here in CT and I enjoyed it. Sunshine and 80 degrees on Christmas is absolutely depressing. I also can't stand flat topography. So boring.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sunshine and 80 degrees on Christmas is absolutely depressing. I also can't stand flat topography. So boring.
I agree!

Again, it's all about what you like.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
If Texas weren't so big in area I'm sure Florida would probably overtake it too in the next 20 years.
Well, considering Florida is 8th in population density, I don't think that matters. State area could completely restructure the rankings, if that was what mattered.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Well I do love snow and long-term overcast. We just had 5 days over continuous cloud-cover here in CT and I enjoyed it. Sunshine and 80 degrees on Christmas is absolutely depressing. I also can't stand flat topography. So boring.
Give me a warm tropical beach in Fl, over a so-called mountain range in NY, any day.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Give me a warm tropical beach in Fl, over a so-called mountain range in NY, any day.
To each his own. I prefer mountains and stunning scenery over a flat beach. As for beaches, I prefer New England beaches over FL beaches, because of the beautiful rugged coastline that comes with it.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
To each his own. I prefer mountains and stunning scenery over a flat beach. As for beaches, I prefer New England beaches over FL beaches, because of the beautiful rugged coastline that comes with it.
You call that "stunning scenery"? The 'mountains' in NY, are small hills imo. What are you, trekking up and down those hills every day?

Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
You call that "stunning scenery"? The 'mountains' in NY, are small hills imo. What are you, trekking up and down those hills every day?
If the Adirondack mountains or any other hills in NY aren't stunning, then I don't know what is. If you're trying to argue that the scenery of Florida is more stunning than New York, then......wow.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM

273 posts, read 349,702 times
Quote:
It's not just a northeastern thing though. California is losing white population in droves. There are tons of Californian transplants in other states now such as Florida, Arizona, Oregon and Texas.
White flight started in California around 1991 with the demise of the aerospace industry; Despite the decline in the white population California has been "steady as she goes" in terms of population over the last 20 years. California is so far ahead of second place Texas it's a moot point anyways

Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
White flight started in California around 1991 with the demise of the aerospace industry; Despite the decline in the white population California has been "steady as she goes" in terms of population over the last 20 years. California is so far ahead of second place Texas it's a moot point anyways
Well, CA is a large state, area wise, so of course it's going to be #1 population wise. The white flight of California is telling of a problem though. Seriously, what is the reason for it? It's losing about 100,000 white people per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.