Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,246,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
DC and Baltimore still have separate economies. The San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland generally have an interconnected economy.
Not true.

Again, we have the official Census numbers. These are made-up numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,546,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true.

Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Once a predominantly industrial town, with an economic base focused on steel processing, shipping, auto manufacturing, and transportation, the city experienced deindustrialization which cost residents tens of thousands of low-skill, high-wage jobs. The city now relies on a low-wage service economy, which accounts for 90% of jobs in the city.
Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In 2012, the federal government accounted for about 29% of the jobs in Washington, D.C. This is thought to immunize Washington to national economic downturns because the federal government continues operations even during recessions. Many organizations such as law firms, independent contractors (both defense and civilian), non-profit organizations, lobbying firms, trade unions, industry trade groups, and professional associations have their headquarters in or near D.C. to be close to the federal government.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:40 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Yeah I don't know why he said not true either. DC and Baltimore are two different cities that work differently from each other with different economies, culture, etc.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,141,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
DC and Baltimore still have separate economies. The San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland generally have an interconnected economy.
So the rankings are based on economies? I thought this was purely a population ranking?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,141,457 times
Disregard. I did a little research from the site and came up with this:

However, it is necessary to “draw a line,” especially where adjacent urban areas have “grown together,” but remain essentially distinct labor
markets. For example, the following urban extents are composed of more than one urban area:

They give Hong Kong/Shenzen as the best example. So different labor markets/freedom of movement is an issue, but in real life, D.C. and Baltimore are contiguously populated and connected.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,602,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true.

No they are not made up numbers. This group set the boundaries for some of the urban areas differently, but the numbers are NOT made up. Its akin to the ACS. They may not be perfect, but there is a methodology involved.

The census updates urban areas every ten years. ACS doesn't measure urban areas outside the 10 year census. If you want to know what they are in between, this is as good as it gets.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,178,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
They didn't pick the numbers out of a hat. They did include San Jose in with San Fran and Oakland which the census does not. San Francisco and San Jose are two separate urban areas according to the 2010 census.
Right, but this is still just demographia's own defined urban areas, which is their prerogative, but this isnt the official UAs by the census bureau.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,506,041 times
i don't know where they got these numbers from, but in 2012 the DC MSA was recorded as having 6 million people

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,584,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
i don't know where they got these numbers from, but in 2012 the DC MSA was recorded as having 6 million people
These aren't Metro Area(MSA) numbers. Urban Areas carry a different definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas - MSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_urban_areas - UA

Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 AM

273 posts, read 347,907 times
Wow, I'm surprised to see Vegas ranked that high with over two million peeps; I guess I need to reassess how I view Vegas and show it more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.