U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated southwestern city?
Las Vegas, NV 55 26.83%
Albuquerque, NM 6 2.93%
Sedona, AZ 7 3.41%
Santa Fe, NM 12 5.85%
Salt Lake City, UT 12 5.85%
Taos, NM 10 4.88%
Phoenix, AZ 90 43.90%
Las Cruces, NM 2 0.98%
Flagstaff, AZ 6 2.93%
Other, please list 5 2.44%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times

Advertisements

Since we seem to be on a southwestern kick, I figured Id start a new thread. What city in the SW did you visit, with high-hopes from all the hype surrounding it, that you ended up being disappointed in?

Im gonna say that one southwestern city that truly disappointed my on my first visit was Sedona, AZ. The red rocks are nice and all, but beyond that? YAWN. There were a few decent restaurants, and the Slide Rock state park was pretty cool, but nothing else about the town stands out. It felt like Wisconsin Dells (minus the waterparks) set amongst Gallup, NM-ish red rocks. Didnt do a thing for me. Ive been back 2 more times since then, trying to explore a little more and figure out what the hype is all about, but I still leave there disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
I haven't visited the Southwest, so you can take my comments with a grain of salt, but I'm not very impressed by what I have seen online and via Microsoft Virtual Earth of Tucson or Phoenix. Tucson doesn't receive much hype the way it is, but Phoenix certainly gets a lot of positive press, so perhaps the title could go to Phoenix for "most overrated."

Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM

307 posts, read 1,306,892 times
I am from Tucson, life here is just ok. Cannot complain, but I would need to get out of Arizona!!

I have been to Sedona and I agree with Steve-O boring! But Phoenix is pretty much just more freeways and a bigger version of Tucson basically.

I have to say Phoenix is overrated.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
I have been to Sedona and I agree with Steve-O boring!
I thought I was gonna get flamed for saying Sedona sucks. Im glad other people find it nothing more than a cheap tourist trap, with cheesy shops and weird, new-age/hippy people. If people like the scenery (red rocks, etc) in Sedona, they should check out western NM, more red rocks, better scenery, all w/o the tie-dye t-shirt shops.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,759,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I thought I was gonna get flamed for saying Sedona sucks. Im glad other people find it nothing more than a cheap tourist trap, with cheesy shops and weird, new-age/hippy people. If people like the scenery (red rocks, etc) in Sedona, they should check out western NM, more red rocks, better scenery, all w/o the tie-dye t-shirt shops.

I'll flame you, LOL. Seriously, I LOVE Sedona - the jaw dropping scenery more than makes up for all the timeshare crooks lined up on the main drag. I would've bet my last dollar you would've chosen Phoenix. We had the best time there (sedona), and even with young kids, never ran out of things to do. Hiking, Jeep Tour, easy ride up to the GC, Flagstaff, it was great and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,759,606 times
Does anyone really go on about how great Salt Lake City is to the point where it deserved to be a choice in this poll? I've never noticed the "SLC love" on this board.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of SLC by any stretch (in fact, I think I said it was one of my least favorite cities), but absolutely love the skiing in UT - best in the country hands down. Snowbird, Solitude, Alta - amazing.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
Might as well rename the forums to Anti-Phoenix.com

Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'll flame you, LOL. Seriously, I LOVE Sedona - the jaw dropping scenery more than makes up for all the timeshare crooks lined up on the main drag. I would've bet my last dollar you would've chosen Phoenix. We had the best time there (sedona), and even with young kids, never ran out of things to do. Hiking, Jeep Tour, easy ride up to the GC, Flagstaff, it was great and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
I hiked and did the Pink Jeep Tour, etc. Its just a big tourist trap, with some red rocks, nothing special to me. Im glad you liked it though. But if you liked the whole scenario but dont want all the touristy stuff, check out western New Mexico. It has better red rocks, more serenity, and all w/o the dumb tourists!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

266 posts, read 812,232 times
I agree that Sedona is overrated. The scenery is beautiful, but the town is not very walkable and the shops are very touristy. It feels like a tourist town, not a town to live in. I prefer Flagstaff and Prescott over Sedona. However, that being said, Sedona is worth checking out at least once and you can certainly enjoy a good time there.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:35 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Might as well rename the forums to Anti-Phoenix.com
Does such a site exist??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.