Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What are you talking about? The Ultra Orthodox line Bedford Ave and Ocean Pkwy and are buying everything up in between. As to Canarsie, there was a strong Jewish presence from the Paerdegats to Rockaway Pkwy. Flatbush Ave (maybe you were thinking Flatlands) is not in Canarsie. Its a tangent to Mill Basin.
I meant that the black Carribean population lives across Flatbush Ave. I thought you were referring to the Carribeans on the other side of Brooklyn. Canarsie these days is mostly black West Indian, though there is also a Jewish population and some others. There is no West Indian presence close to the SY community.

The Ultra Orthodox population is close to Gravesend, but is not directly in the SY neighborhood. Everything from about Avenue M to Ave. Z between McDonald Ave. and Ocean Parkway is dominated by Orthodox, not Ultra Orthodox.

Ultra Orthodox are in huge numbers to the north, east and west, but not right in Gravesend.

And, again, I am not a member of the community, I am not even Jewish. But I have business dealings with the community, and know it very well. I deal with the community almost every weekday, and it is definitely a growing community that is expanding geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
King's Highway in Brooklyn (between Coney Island Avenue and Mc Donald Avenue) has a large population of Mizrachi/Middle Eastern Jews (also go a few avenues up, and a few avenues down, at least to Avenue U.)

Lots of Syrian and Egyptian synagogues, restaurants, kosher grocery stores, and Mizrachi-Jewish owned businesses.
There are million dollar homes, but you can also rent or buy a coop apartment - for apartments it's one of the more affordable parts of New York City/Brooklyn, because it's a distance from Manhattan - a good 45-60 minutes by subway.

You could rent a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $1500/month and buy a 1 bedroom for around $200,000, give or take.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
King's Highway in Brooklyn (between Coney Island Avenue and Mc Donald Avenue) has a large population of Mizrachi/Middle Eastern Jews (also go a few avenues up, and a few avenues down, at least to Avenue U.)
The Middle Eastern Jewish population now goes south to about Avenue X, as the community expands.

It's also expanding in other directions, but not totally sure about boundaries (maybe Avenue M to the north, and a few blocks past the F train to the west, and a few blocks past Ocean Pkwy to the east).

Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM

207 posts, read 338,926 times
The east side of Cleveland has a major and historic Jewish population.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Detroit around suburbs like Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, West Bloomfield, Farmington/Farmington Hills; with some old timers/die hards in parts of Oak Park, Southfield, Berkley and other communities in the Woodward Corridor in Oakland County may work.

This is in terms of where Jewish concentrations are located.
I second this. Lived in Farmington Hills for 14 years, and I worked in West Bloomfield. There is a very sizable, strong Jewish presence in the area. West Bloomfield schools close for all Jewish holidays, and one of the largest, if not the largest, Jewish Community Centers in North America (with a fabulous kosher restaurant) is located there. The outstanding Holocaust Memorial Center is in neighboring Farmington Hills.

And there's an equally strong Middle Eastern population throughout the Metro Detroit area (the largest outside of the Middle East). They're more Christian in the northern burbs, while the large Muslim population is more concentrated in the Dearborn area.

Though the northern suburbs like FH, WB and others are quite affluent, Metro Detroit, overall, is much more affordable than other large metro areas in the country.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-28-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
For affordable and Jewish...east side of Cleveland metro.

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/n...9bb2963f4.html

Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM

91 posts, read 151,479 times
Blue Ash, just northeast of Cincinnati.
Creve Coeur, west of St. Louis.
Bexley/Berwick in Columbus.

These areas aren't overwhelmingly Jewish a la some parts of Brooklyn, but they are much more affordable (well, maybe not Bexley).

Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,656,477 times
The entire central corridor of St. Louis County has a large Jewish population, stretching from the western city limits through University City (home to several thousand Orthodox and Hasidic Jews), Clayton, Ladue, Olivette, Westwood, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield. Over 64,000 Jews live in the St. Louis metro (not including the Illinois suburbs).

Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I second this. Lived in Farmington Hills for 14 years, and I worked in West Bloomfield. There is a very sizable, strong Jewish presence in the area. West Bloomfield schools close for all Jewish holidays, and one of the largest, if not the largest, Jewish Community Centers in North America (with a fabulous kosher restaurant) is located there. The outstanding Holocaust Memorial Center is in neighboring Farmington Hills.

And there's an equally strong Middle Eastern population throughout the Metro Detroit area (the largest outside of the Middle East). They're more Christian in the northern burbs, while the large Muslim population is more concentrated in the Dearborn area.

Though the northern suburbs like FH, WB and others are quite affluent, Metro Detroit, overall, is much more affordable than other large metro areas in the country.
We also have a very large Middle Eastern population here in Windsor as well. Many have family over in Dearborn, which is why many have chosen Windsor to live in Canada, so they can be close to family across the river. Wyandotte St. e. is the main arab commercial area, a good 12 blocks of mainly arab owned businesses and restaurants, a very vibrant community.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,936 times
I'm Jewish and from Bergen County. I'm very close to NYC so you have it near you while your cost of living is a little reduced. Almost every other person is Jewish here or at least half Jewish. My college in Newark is half Middle Eastern, so we all blend into each other. If it matters to you, there is also a sizable East Asian population in the Bergen area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.