U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing plenty of houses on CL under $100K in Pgh.

Perhaps the trendy areas are unaffordable but not the entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:17 PM

447 posts, read 580,633 times
Quote:
Attracted by warm, sunny weather, millions of people are moving there. Therefore, will it become ultra expensive like California in say, 20 years from now?
I'm not sure if Florida will ever be the next California. It's been a retirement destination for a long time and probably will continue to do so. Millions are moving in, but it would be interesting to see the average age of said millions. People moved to California because of the economy - and still do - not just the weather. If it's primarily retirees moving into a state, that state will have a high turnover in the housing industry as those retirees age and move into assisted living/nursing homes and/or pass away.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm seeing plenty of houses on CL under $100K in Pgh.

Perhaps the trendy areas are unaffordable but not the entire city.
If you want to buy, but no one is buying in the city because of COL and other issues. We have incredibly high property, work, gas, and food taxes and prices. The rent for a decent part of town will start at $1000 for a one bedroom in an old building or house and without the normal amenities you would find in other cities.

Most people aren't looking to rehab a property in a questionable neighborhood strictly because it is "affordable". The neighborhood dynamics have changed over the last 5 years. At one time almost all of the city was safe. Currently, there is a much wider gap between the have and have nots. Yes, Pittsburgh is "affordable" if you want to live in a sketchy part of town.

A city is only trendy for so long. Many cities in this country are going to be in a world of hurt once the renters move on to greener pastures.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,072,738 times
I concur about Denver/Colorado. I'm actually one of the folks that fled from the area as prices skyrocketed- from Denver to the Western Slope in 2013 and from CO to WA this fall. Rising rent/property values pushed consecutive landlords in places we lived to move back in and/or sell their condos. Most of my friends in Uptown, Cap Hill, Baker, Highlands that rent have been hit with huge increases in the last two years. Though to be fair about Colorado prices, they're actually just returning to pre-2008 levels. Anyway, the post-recession pricing allowed me to move there and live without a job lined up and then only have to work part-time during grad school. In fact, it allowed a lot of people to pick up and move there with relative ease. When I moved to Denver, it felt like everyone I met in the middle of the city shared a similar experience (packing everything into a U-Haul and heading west like going through some sort of rite of passage) but now that prices have shot up, I'd imagine that a move to the area has to be much more deliberate and planned out. I personally don't think Denver housing is worth the money these days (for what you get).

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-29-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I concur about Denver/Colorado. I'm actually one of the folks that fled from the area as prices skyrocketed- from Denver to the Western Slope in 2013 and from CO to WA this fall. Rising rent/property values pushed consecutive landlords in places we lived to move back in and/or sell their condos. Most of my friends in Uptown, Cap Hill, Baker, Highlands that rent have been hit with huge increases in the last two years. Though to be fair about Colorado prices, they're actually just returning to pre-2008 levels. Anyway, the post-recession pricing allowed me to move there and live without a job lined up and then only have to work part-time during grad school. In fact, it allowed a lot of people to pick up and move there with relative ease. When I moved to Denver, it felt like everyone I met in the middle of the city shared a similar experience (packing everything into a U-Haul and heading west like going through some sort of rite of passage) but now that prices have shot up, I'd imagine that a move to the area has to be much more deliberate and planned out. I personally don't think Denver housing is worth the money these days (for what you get).
So then what's the next affordable, up and coming place out west? It seems like every city out west is either expensive as hell or completely devoid of jobs. There are no well-rounded metropolitan areas in the West, unlike the East, which has many.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 5,864,592 times
Well, it isn't Portland, Oregon.

Portland used to be relatively inexpensive, but so many people have moved here that isn't true anymore.

Couple that with a progressive liberal government that believes that the average citizen is in possession of a pot of gold ripe for the taking, and Portlandia spewing the "Dream of the Nineties is alive in Portland" BS, and Portland is a relatively expensive place to live now.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,100,268 times
Seattle is becoming more and more expensive. People seem to really be propping it, and with many businesses there, they're going. The beautiful surroundings and mild (albeit rainy) weather with pleasant, sunny and warm summer weather is another draw.

Philly is still affordable, but is getting more expensive as those from other cities (like NYC) are coming down here, due to it's much cheaper COL.

Florida is getting more expensive. Obviously, the weather and beaches have something to do with that, but because there's higher demand, and the place doesn't have the high wages/diverse job market, it's starting to become unlivable in some places like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, the Keys, etc.

Cheaper places in CA, such as the desert areas of the Inland Empire, are getting more costly--since it was cheaper, relatively nice weather and close to the mountains, and close proximity to LA and the beach cities, many moved there from other parts of the country. Now, with high demand and nobody being able to afford the coastal cities, it's prices are going up.

Due to high demand because of business, relatively mild weather, and an affordable COL, Atlanta is also getting more expensive.

New Orleans is still affordable. But it's getting more expensive as well. Mostly because of the warm weather and it's an awesome city, but there are more jobs going there as well. So a lot of people are moving in, and high demand raises the prices.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Seattle is becoming more and more expensive. People seem to really be propping it, and with many businesses there, they're going. The beautiful surroundings and mild (albeit rainy) weather with pleasant, sunny and warm summer weather is another draw.

Philly is still affordable, but is getting more expensive as those from other cities (like NYC) are coming down here, due to it's much cheaper COL.

Florida is getting more expensive. Obviously, the weather and beaches have something to do with that, but because there's higher demand, and the place doesn't have the high wages/diverse job market, it's starting to become unlivable in some places like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, the Keys, etc.

Cheaper places in CA, such as the desert areas of the Inland Empire, are getting more costly--since it was cheaper, relatively nice weather and close to the mountains, and close proximity to LA and the beach cities, many moved there from other parts of the country. Now, with high demand and nobody being able to afford the coastal cities, it's prices are going up.

Due to high demand because of business, relatively mild weather, and an affordable COL, Atlanta is also getting more expensive.

New Orleans is still affordable. But it's getting more expensive as well. Mostly because of the warm weather and it's an awesome city, but there are more jobs going there as well. So a lot of people are moving in, and high demand raises the prices.
Raleigh is on the expensive side too now, especially for a southern city. And Houston is getting rapidly expensive as we speak. Oh my god....everywhere is getting expensive, but my salary has remained FLAT for the past two years, even though I'm exceeding expectations at work. What the hell is wrong with this country....regular people can't afford ANYTHING anymore.....

Old 12-29-2014, 06:01 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,100,268 times
I wasn't aware of Raleigh and Houston getting pricey...but I can see that--many are moving there because it is (or was, as the case now is) cheap. How sad. I agree that it seems the middle-class can't afford anything anymore.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I wasn't aware of Raleigh and Houston getting pricey...but I can see that--many are moving there because it is (or was, as the case now is) cheap. How sad. I agree that it seems the middle-class can't afford anything anymore.
Vibrant urban living is only for rich people these days. The poor and middle class would have to choose cities like Memphis, Philly and San Antonio. Yuppies and trust fund babies have destroyed urban living for the average person. I hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or