U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 07:55 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times

Advertisements

Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, people keep moving here, building their lives, growing their families, putting down roots, and enjoying the sun and warmth (not to mention the music, the food, the history, and the friendly natives!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, people keep moving here, building their lives, growing their families, putting down roots, and enjoying the sun and warmth (not to mention the music, the food, the history, and the friendly natives!).

As usual, you are right on.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:06 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I would rep you if I could.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,487,316 times
FWIW, the number 1 and often only important reason everyone (not exaggerating) I know from New Jersey and New York moved South (sometimes to retire, sometimes to not) was because it's cheaper. You can get a big house for less than you can here and taxes are lower. Number 1 reason. Even above weather.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
FWIW, the number 1 and often only important reason everyone (not exaggerating) I know from New Jersey and New York moved South (sometimes to retire, sometimes to not) was because it's cheaper. You can get a big house for less than you can here and taxes are lower. Number 1 reason. Even above weather.

Of course why would anyone want to live in this horrible place if it was not for cheap housing. I mean everything else here is so miserably horrible only fools would want to move here. My, my, my. And the damn fools are coming by the thousands monthly. Are they in for a surprise.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Of course why would anyone want to live in this horrible place if it was not for cheap housing. I mean everything else here is so miserably horrible only fools would want to move here. My, my, my. And the damn fools are coming by the thousands monthly. Are they in for a surprise.
I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm just sharing the experiences of everyone I know who has chosen to move South - usually NC, but sometimes SC, Florida, VA outside DC area, and Texas. Number one reason was always cost. The South is notorious around here for being so cheap. Everyone knows you can get a large, usually new home, in a development often, for super cheap compared to what we're used to - list price and taxes. Many people know at least one family/person who have decided to make the move for that reason. Sometimes people don't even care about weather.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
How shocking that word hasn't gotten out since the early 50's!

I thought this internet thing was supposed to speed up communication?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm just sharing the experiences of everyone I know who has chosen to move South - usually NC, but sometimes SC, Florida, VA outside DC area, and Texas. Number one reason was always cost. The South is notorious around here for being so cheap. Everyone knows you can get a large, usually new home, in a development often, for super cheap compared to what we're used to - list price and taxes. Many people know at least one family/person who have decided to make the move for that reason. Sometimes people don't even care about weather.
Everyone's experience is different.

All of the people I know from the NE were either transferred here by their jobs, or moved here for new ones. And none of them want to go back.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I am concerned( and most people I know) would not move to a place that I don't think I would like even if they gave me a free new house. I don't understand that frame of mind. If I loved New Jersey I would not leave for a cheaper house. It has to be more than that.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
And a quality of life that is just as good, or better, than the place they left behind. You forgot that part of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or